• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many AR mags for SHTF?

Quick question about leaving a magazine loaded. I have always worried about wearing out my magazine springs which is why I usually only keep them loaded 2/3 ish. Do you guys mostly max them out when you keep them loaded and just make up for the possibility of wearing them out by having a crap load?

Dan

Quick question about leaving a magazine loaded. I have always worried about wearing out my magazine springs which is why I usually only keep them loaded 2/3 ish. Do you guys mostly max them out when you keep them loaded and just make up for the possibility of wearing them out by having a crap load?

Dan

From what I understand, springs don't wear out from being compressed, they wear out from being cycled.

From what I understand, springs don't wear out from being compressed, they wear out from being cycled.

I appreciate the response, however I don't believe that sounds right. The act of cycling the magazine is simply relieving pressure from the spring. Relieving the pressure doesn't sound like it would wear out the spring. I would think that the constant compression is what does it.

Dan

I appreciate the response, however I don't believe that sounds right. The act of cycling the magazine is simply relieving pressure from the spring. Relieving the pressure doesn't sound like it would wear out the spring. I would think that the constant compression is what does it.

Dan

OK - a quick google and I've got some sources to back it up:

Fourth paragraph from the bottom in "The Gun digest book of the AR-15"
By Patrick Sweeney

http://books.google.com/books?id=wf...n5j1Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

If you want more, just google "wearing out springs, ar-15"

Dan, FWIW I've heard people shooting magazines that were filled for 25 years that worked fine. I don't think long-term compression hurts the springs, but constant re-compression.

Dan

This myth has been disproven only about 900 times. [wink]

I have no qualms about leaving mags loaded. My AR and AK SHTF mags have been loaded up for probably 2 years now. I know that if I grabbed one of them it would work fine.

-Mike

Is all this "zombi" talk code for entitlement receiving looters turned savage once their government check fails to appear on the first of the month?

I'm serious, what the hell is a "zombi"?? You're not stocking up on mags and .223 in case some chemical spill reanimates the corpses buried at the cemetary.

Hahaha! So basically it's the irrational heard!
In all seriousness, for the most part its just an easily recognized, amusing scenario where you'd need a lot of bullets in a hurry that doesn't require political, moral, or ethical justification... Just rapid, sustained fire... [wink]

An entertaining "what if" without the rigor (no pun intended) of "how" it came to be that you are wildly outnumbered by a poorly organized, poorly trained and generally not very intelligent "force" that was very dangerous none-the-less because of their numbers and lack of concern for their own individual well being...

Sadly such attacks have occurred numerous times in history, but they generally happen so slow, that there isn't a place to "stand your ground"...

The big battles happen in the state-houses and we have no say on their outcome...

So my Back Pack and my ammo supplies are for these reasons only. I don't need more ammo. If I do need more ammo, I have group members that will give me some.

That's quite a statement, I am pretty sure I have never, and will never say I don't need anymore ammo.

Yes, I'm part of a SHTF Group in Milford.
Is Gecko45 your team leader? [rolleyes]
MallNinja.jpg

Sorry couldn't help myself.[thinking]

That's quite a statement, I am pretty sure I have never, and will never say I don't need anymore ammo.

Is Gecko45 your team leader? [rolleyes]
MallNinja.jpg

Sorry couldn't help myself.[thinking]

On day 2 you'll find tons of ammo. And no, that wussie is not our team leader. This guy is..
lee_marvin.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom