• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many AR mags for SHTF?

i have one full 30 rd mag in my Bushmaster and 1 extra 30 rd mag i want to buy a couple Magpul 30 rd mags, my max mag total i want is 10-30 rd mags

Of course the current scenario assumes you're bugging out to another location or OTM somewhere. In the event you stay in place in your residence you would be better served by having more than 3 (is that a joke?) mags on hand.

When the Zombie apocalypse happens and you have to stop blasting to reload mags while sitting on your roof with a cooler full of beer you'll be kicking yourself thinking "Why didn't I just spend the lousy $7 on another mag?"

And if you think 8...even 6 mags is too heavy to carry you should probably think about hitting the gym long before you fret over how many handguns are going to be required to defend yourself and your partner while she reloads mags one round at a time....[thinking]

Last edited:
Weight! You do not want to over burden yourself before you enter combat. Why does the US Military switch to the M16? Less weight for carrying rounds is one reason.

I'm not going to carry 50lbs of ammo nor is my Wife.

We'll have to agree to disagree here, but consider this: according to your post, you're carrying 4 30 round AR mags, 5 fully loaded 1911 magazines, 3 fully loaded 6906 magazines, 2 Boxes of buck shot, 1 box of slugs. That's no small amount of weight right there, BTW, not to mention the weight of 4 weapons. Now, within that ammo weight allowance, might you be better off with more weight alloted to AR mags, and less weight alloted to pistol mags?

Too Funny!

Too Funny! I'm still laughing at this response.[rofl]

But seriously, ask yourself why would I be on the streets when the zombies come. The only reason the wife and I would be on the streets is either one of two reasons.

1. To help others in need. Who live down the street.

2. In a group party on a mission. Either food Mission, Water Mission or Medical Mission.

I'm not on the street for that long a period. Plus I'm with a group. Yes, I'm part of a SHTF Group in Milford. So my Back Pack and my ammo supplies are for these reasons only. I don't need more ammo. If I do need more ammo, I have group members that will give me some. We all share common ammunition. No Problem.

Now if I'm home, Watch out Zombies, you pick the wrongs house. Many Mags and tons of ammo are waiting for you.

Ditch the Kimber and let your wife carry the 6906. if the time comes that one or both of you are fighting of zombies with handguns and multiple magazines, you're already dead. Ditch the shotgun and add 6 more loaded AR mags to your current 4. if the time comes when you're fending off zombies with a shotgun while your wife reloads 10 empty AR mags, you're about to be already dead. Ditch the Para 9- find a heavy rock- it's easier to bonk a zombie off the head with a heavy rock from 25 feet as they're more aerodynamic than a Para, and you can put a mean knuckle ball twist on a rock. Rocks are much more accurate and reliable, too.

You're AR to shotgun to primary sidearm to secondary sidearm scenario sounds like a mall ninja fantasy of going down in a blaze of glory, or shooting at a Panzer with your last bullets ala Saving Private Ryan. [wink]

2 100 round beta drums for my M4, and 12 30 rounders strapped onto my chest rig... then a glock 19 strapped to chest rig, with 3 33 round mags ready for the downtime.

oh yeah , and nothing but zombie headshots!

if i have a buddy with me he'll man the AR-10 or a FAL to cover me while i reload.

Last edited:
Just sitting here thinking.....

When I die... I think i would like to be buried with about 20 AR Mags chained around my neck... Therefore if I ever turn into a zombie..... On my way to eat some brains I and I happen to run across any NES members that open their fire on me, when I go down I can give them the gift of ammo....

Just sitting here thinking.....

When I die... I think i would like to be buried with about 20 AR Mags chained around my neck... Therefore if I ever turn into a zombie..... On my way to eat some brains I and I happen to run across any NES members that open their fire on me, when I go down I can give them the gift of ammo....

we should get NES camo shirts so we can identify each other when the zombies come or its TEOTWAWKI

Too Funny! I'm still laughing at this response.[rofl]

But seriously, ask yourself why would I be on the streets when the zombies come. The only reason the wife and I would be on the streets is either one of two reasons.

1. To help others in need. Who live down the street.

2. In a group party on a mission. Either food Mission, Water Mission or Medical Mission.

I'm not on the street for that long a period. Plus I'm with a group. Yes, I'm part of a SHTF Group in Milford. So my Back Pack and my ammo supplies are for these reasons only. I don't need more ammo. If I do need more ammo, I have group members that will give me some. We all share common ammunition. No Problem.

Now if I'm home, Watch out Zombies, you pick the wrongs house. Many Mags and tons of ammo are waiting for you.

I'm rather interested in this group in Milford, Never heard of it before

The perpetual answer to this question is "One more than what you have"

Um, I thought the answer was 10 more than you already have. [wink] Of course when the zombies attack I'll have a dress made out of spare mags, with rollerblades (or cross country skis, weather dependent) with rockets attached so that I can get out of dodge once the 89th mag is empty. Then again, it could be 99th mag if I can go shopping again before TEOTWAWKI...

I hope you know I'm kidding about the dress and the jet feet. I'll just tell the zombies that there is some hope that they can change back into regular people, and then we'll all have milk and cookies and sing kumbaya...

Um, I thought the answer was 10 more than you already have. [wink] Of course when the zombies attack I'll have a dress made out of spare mags, with rollerblades (or cross country skis, weather dependent) with rockets attached so that I can get out of dodge once the 89th mag is empty. Then again, it could be 99th mag if I can go shopping again before TEOTWAWKI...

I hope you know I'm kidding about the dress and the jet feet. I'll just tell the zombies that there is some hope that they can change back into regular people, and then we'll all have milk and cookies and sing kumbaya...

just remember, Zombies can't swim, so comandeer a yacht and plink away at the ones on shore

Somewhere, somehow (I think it was in that fire a little while ago) I "lost" somewhere in the neighborhood of about 135 or so fully loaded 30 rounders. [wink]

Is all this "zombi" talk code for entitlement receiving looters turned savage once their government check fails to appear on the first of the month?

I have around 1K rounds of 5.56 on hand and I could not fill up all of my AR mags with it. Either I have too many mags or too little ammo. I'm going to buy more ammo.

Chris

i have 25 30 rounders per rifle which now stands at one but 3 lowers waiting to get built. I plan to stop hoarding ammo once i have enough to reload all mags 4 times or 3000 rounds which comes sooner.

Back
Top Bottom