• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long is to long?

Quick story on my Class A LTC.

Took my class in Feb 2013(me and 2 other friends) and the following Monday called Lowell Police and was told end of march. So my friend got Monday i got Tuesday and my other friend got Wednesday. We called all on the same day and around the same time(same police station). I thought it was odd. So i had the interview and on almost every wall there was a sign that said it was taking 12 weeks for the process. I thought really? that long. So Last week Aug 2nd i called the 617 number and asked about my status and she told me it was still at my local police station. I was livid. Had my friend call and he got the same thing. So Yesterday Aug 8th i called and guess what? Still at the police station. My "12 weeks" is Aug 13. Im giving Lowell police until then. after that is there anything i can do? I feel like i shouldnt have to wait THIS LONG! I never been arrested dont have a record so theres no reason why i would get denied or anything. So if theres something i could do that would speed the process i would love to hear it.

Plus 1. I heard the same. First round you probably won't get your LTC. Good luck.

From what I seem I don't think Lowell issues unrestricted something about a nazi police chief that doesn't think civilians should have guns. Back in a thread a ehile back some one said they had a college class lecture with The luit that issues them and she said she does not hand out any unrestricted if I recall but I could be mistaken.

FAQs - Commonwealth Second Amendment, Inc. (comm2a.org)

Donate.

I'm still waiting for my firearms license. What can I do?

Once a firearms license application has been submitted, police chiefs are required by law to act upon that application within 40 days. They must either approve the application and issue the license, or provide the applicant with written notification of the reason(s) for denial.

Most police departments in Massachusetts regularly fail to comply with the law in this respect and typically take much longer to process and issue licenses. Waiting times for the issuing of a licensing typically run in excess of 90 days because police departments fail to allocate the resources that would enable them to comply with the law. Although the law requires that licenses be issued or denied within 40 days, it provides no enforcement mechanism for holding police chiefs accountable.

Failure to issue a license within the required 40 day window constitutes constructive denial and the applicant has 90 days in which to appeal the 'denial' in district court. In most cases this is a waste of time and money as the license will usually be issued at some point. However, applicants should keep in mind that their window for challenging the failure to act upon an application closes 130 days after their application is submitted.

Applicants waiting longer than the statutory 40 days should consider contacting their police chief or elected officials directly. Escalating concerns of police departments that fail to meet their statutory obligations is surprisingly effective. Comm2A has worked with several gun owners who only received their licenses after contacting their mayor or town selectmen.

Back
Top Bottom