How long is a Pistol Safety Course good for?

How long does the NRA safety course stay valid. I have a friend that took it over a year ago and never applied for his LTC. Can he still use this or should he re-take the course.

I tried to search, but could not find anything that was relevant.

Thanks,
Tim

If he was issued a MA state police cert he should never have to take it again.

Ok, thanks. That's what I thought. Do you think having that much time between the Cert. and his application will have a negative effect on him getting a LTC? He lives in Holliston, I'm not sure if they are green or not.

Every Police Dept. is different.I have heard of someone told that waiting 6 months to file for a permit after the course was too long.Call your local Dept.There is no clear cut rule.

It shouldn't make a difference how old the certificate is. I took my course when I was 18 and planned on getting my FID. I didn't get around to applying until over 4 years later and ended up getting an LTC instead. The 4 year old certificate was not a problem.

I believe they are actually valid for 10 years, but, as pbearperry said, each department makes their own rules. Just call and ask.

I believe they are actually valid for 10 years, but, as pbearperry said, each department makes their own rules. Just call and ask.

No, the MSP Trainer's Cert is good for 10 years.

The MSP Cert given a student, per MGL, is good forever.

HOWEVER, some chiefs impose their own restrictions under the guise of "discretion" and therefore only the PD you apply to can answer the OP's question on "what they will accept".

e.g. I know that some PDs were demanding that an applicant get re-certified (training cert) for each renewal. Do NOT know if that is still being done in some towns, but it wouldn't surprise me. The chiefs have an unlimited ability to mis-use their authority if they wish . . . in most cases it is cheaper (by one or two orders of magnitude) to comply rather than fight it in court (and end up with an uncertain ruling, as judges aren't exactly "unbiased" wrt firearms ownership in MA).

I've heard of some taking it after a year, but there's a lot who won't accept it if it's 6 months old. I had one guy tell me they feel the person forgot what they learned in the class if it's over 6 months.

Ask the LO in the city/town.

As an NRA/ MASS cert instuctor , we tell students of HFS course or basic pistol to use a copy and save original for renewal. This has worked in the past but some police dept's want a new one after 10 yrs. Holliston shouldn't be a problem.
If you call they will answer.

As an NRA/ MASS cert instuctor , we tell students of HFS course or basic pistol to use a copy and save original for renewal. This has worked in the past but some police dept's want a new one after 10 yrs.

Ask them what part of 131P and 515 CMR 3.05 the time limit it in. [wink]

Then again, it could be the (missing) part of the applicant that doesn't challenge such abuse of discretion.

Then again, it could be the (missing) part of the applicant that doesn't challenge such abuse of discretion.

Keep in mind two things:

- Most applicants are scared to death of their chief and bring kneepads to their "interview". [wink]

- It is more costly to fight it than to acquiesce . . . in both time and $$.

The chiefs know this and that's why they pull this crap . . . and get away with it.

Back
Top Bottom