How long for police chief to activate ltc?

My buddy called the frb and they said about a week and a half ago they mailed out his Ltc to the chief. But he called the Rutland police station and they said they will call him when its ready to be picked up. Is this usual for what I thought was a very green town? Mine was mailed from frb yesterday. Does that mean I have a few more weeks also? At least I'm in the final stages of waiting.

I remember waiting for mine and it was like expecting your first bike on Christmas morning and having to wait all December.

My buddy called the frb and they said about a week and a half ago they mailed out his Ltc to the chief. But he called the Rutland police station and they said they will call him when its ready to be picked up. Is this usual for what I thought was a very green town? Mine was mailed from frb yesterday. Does that mean I have a few more weeks also? At least I'm in the final stages of waiting.

Same for my renewal in a green town. When I called in, got same thing, will call when in. I presume got dispatch desk and they must just say that to everyone.
When I told him it should be there since I spoke with FRB and said it was issued, he went looking. Back on phone in under a minute... said come and get it.
I'm guessing someone just never called as I would not miss the call on my cell. It was sitting in an envelope somewhere near the front desk and dispatch area when I picked up.

It was right at 30 days and my town dispatcher called and said my LTC was in and to come in anytime and get it. My old one was going to expire on my b day and the new one was good on my b day. No activation, Very good experience with local PD.

An LTC has to be "activated" even after it's already been printed? Or is the title mis-worded? I'm confused.
I thought that was on lens's thread that the chief activated it a final time by pushing a button. Just so if its lost in the mail a random person can't go buying guns

Wrong. Once the PD receives it, it must be activated via computer. This is when the PIN is issued.

We are deeply grateful that you are sharing your experience on this forum... but you need to re-zero your sarcasm meter. The post you took seriously was intentionally confusing activating a credit card with the LTC.

And seriously, thank you for sharing your insights into the LTC process in particular and police perspective in general - it helps make NES a more valuable forum for all of us.

I thought that was on lens's thread that the chief activated it a final time by pushing a button. Just so if its lost in the mail a random person can't go buying guns

I'm really impressed that someone actually read that Sticky. Most just post the same old questions over and over again and never believe what you tell them. You are correct.

It literally takes as long as the issuing officer requires to open the envelope and log onto the MIRCS system.

In some cases a minute or two, in others months . . . depends on when/if they want to do this or just let it sit for months on end, seriously.

Same for my renewal in a green town. When I called in, got same thing, will call when in. I presume got dispatch desk and they must just say that to everyone.
When I told him it should be there since I spoke with FRB and said it was issued, he went looking. Back on phone in under a minute... said come and get it.
I'm guessing someone just never called as I would not miss the call on my cell. It was sitting in an envelope somewhere near the front desk and dispatch area when I picked up.
Maybe I should give this a try on Wednesday, I just don't want to annoy anyone at the pd, and I wouldn't want them to think I am accusing them of lying. But I have the feeling if I did call they would get it for me in a minute also

I figured everyone read it since its a sticky. I found it to be very interesting. And I thank you for it. :)

I think most people skip right over stickies and the search bar and go straight to "Post new thread". Usually in the wrong section. [laugh]

I actually have read a number of the sticky/permathreads on this forum b/c they are incredible informative. Mostly, however, it's b/c as an admin on another forum, I have a strong drive to avoid being that guy who asks a question that's been answered 14,358 times before.

I think most people skip right over stickies and the search bar and go straight to "Post new thread". Usually in the wrong section. [laugh]

I actually have read a number of the sticky/permathreads on this forum b/c they are incredible informative. Mostly, however, it's b/c as an admin on another forum, I have a strong drive to avoid being that guy who asks a question that's been answered 14,358 times before.[/QUOTE

yup i generally will spend at least 10-15 minutes searching before posting a new thread

i beleive i only posted 1 new thread since i've been here (re: s &w 422)

most questions have been asked and answered----not to disparage any poster----just take a minute or 2 to look

The honest truth is however long he wants to take. This is the unfortunate truth in MA.

Good luck to your friend.
How does one "activate" an LTC or FID? The day after my FID was renewed a couple of years ago, I went to a NH dealer and purchased a new 12-gauge shotgun. He looked at my FID, had me fill out the ATF yellow form (4473?), called it in, took my cash and sent me on my way with the scattergun. I do not think he checked to see if my FID was "activated".

How does one "activate" an LTC or FID? The day after my FID was renewed a couple of years ago, I went to a NH dealer and purchased a new 12-gauge shotgun. He looked at my FID, had me fill out the ATF yellow form (4473?), called it in, took my cash and sent me on my way with the scattergun. I do not think he checked to see if my FID was "activated".
the police activate the ltc before giving it to you

the police activate the ltc before giving it to you
Well, I should hope so! That damned piece of plastic cost me a hard-earned C-note! My first FID, issued by the Lawrence Police Department back in January, 1979, cost $2 and was supposedly good for life. So much for politicians' promises, especially in this state!

Tom, the only people who can verify the "activation" or validity of an FID/LTC are MA Dealers using MIRCS, a MA LE agency and any private person using the e-FA10 website. So NH dealers have no ability to verify that info.

It is activated via MIRCS by clicking an "activate" box (verifies that the PD has the FID/LTC in hand). I know of people who have tried to buy a gun at a MA Dealer and found that the PD accidentally gave them the LTC without activating it . . . the sale gets rejected by the Dealer MIRCS system.

Don't be suprised if it's floating around a post office processing center somewhere. Apparantley the envelopes the state mails the LTC's to the local PD's in don't get sealed very well.

Don't be suprised if it's floating around a post office processing center somewhere. Apparantley the envelopes the state mails the LTC's to the local PD's in don't get sealed very well.

Absolutely correct! We often receive them in envelopes with the flap open, and in some instances they have been "lost in transit" from MIRCS to PD.

Apologies for not realizing the sarcasm before my last post. If you could hear some of the questions I get, you would understand.

Tom, the only people who can verify the "activation" or validity of an FID/LTC are MA Dealers using MIRCS, a MA LE agency and any private person using the e-FA10 website. So NH dealers have no ability to verify that info.

It is activated via MIRCS by clicking an "activate" box (verifies that the PD has the FID/LTC in hand). I know of people who have tried to buy a gun at a MA Dealer and found that the PD accidentally gave them the LTC without activating it . . . the sale gets rejected by the Dealer MIRCS system.
Thanks for the explanation, Len. I never purchased a firearm in MA, so I do not know all of the ins and outs of the process. All of my purchases have been in NH and they just write down my FID number on the ATF form (I think it is 4473? Kindly correct me if I am mistaken), call the purchase in to the feds, take my cash from my hand and send me on my way. No hassle, no sales tax.

(Partial of my experience follows below)

PD: it's not here
Me: the FRB shows it sent back 3 weeks ago... is there a way to back check from your end?
PD: hold please
PD: I don't know, I don't handle that
Me: is the LT available?
PD: hold please
PD (LT): it's not here
Me: FRB shows it sent back 3 weeks ago, I just want to make sure it hasn't fallen through the cracks and that I may have to ask FRB to reprint
PD (LT): hold please
PD (LT): you know what?, it IS here...

(this is my shocked face---> [thinking] )

He explained that he was still waiting for "something"... low and behold my phone rang the next day and it was ready to be picked up...

Last edited:
I went down to the pd today to see if it arrived yet, the dispatcher said it wasn't in yet. And I said I was just wondering because the firearms record bureau said it shipped out on Thursday. I told her my name and she looked through about 6 ltc's and said its not in, but i thought i saw mine when she flipped through them. it looked like my picture. But she said they would call me when it showed up. Maybe I should have called the sergeant instead, because I don't think it did anything. I hope I didn't piss off the dispatcher though. I figured 2 days was enough for mail to go from Chelsea ma to rutland ma.

I really feel bad for all the people on here who get taken for a ride by their COP. I took the class, paid the fee, got my pic and prints done and had my LTC IN MY HANDS 3 days later. If they tell you they're still waiting for it to come back its because they haven't sent it out yet. Most towns will wait until they have a bunch of apps before they send them out but the ACTUAL turnaround time is only as long as it takes for the licenses to be sent to the PD. My brother got hosed by his COP on his first LTC and waited months. He had since moved and has had zero issues with renewal. Really depends on your town's licensing officer.

Yeah. My LTC was "printed" on July 24th, mailed out on the 28th, and, according to the local licensing officer, it still hasn't arrived at my P.D.! That's 16 days to get from Chelsea to about 10 miles away from Chelsea. The letter-carrier could have kicked it all that way, and it still should have arrived a week ago!

Back
Top Bottom