How long for CT non-resident permit?

I am sending out my packet to Middletown tomorrow morning. About how long have others waited for their non-resident permit to arrive in your mailbox. I have only heard about one person and he said it was almost 4 weeks from the day he mailed it. Just wondering if that is the norm or if it takes longer. I waited 5 weeks for my MA LTC so I am hoping it is a month or less for CT. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Where can we get the packet? I have Utah and NH, will be sending Maine tomorrow. Figure may az well get CT too. How hard are RI and CT to get? Would like to have all surrounding areas

Application for State Permit to Carry Pistol and Revolvers Can be obtained at one of the Pistol Permit locations listed on the instruction sheet DPS-769-C or you can call (860) 685-8290 to have an application sent to you. This form is not available online.

didn't the prices just shoot way up for the CT non-res?

yes they did. It used to be 35 for both res and non-res but now it is 70 for both. And for first time applicants (res and non-res) there is a 50 dollar and 19.25 dollar finger print processing fee.

I'm still waiting for mine since the beginning of November (5-6 weeks so far). BTW, I did NOT fill out the disclosure form (from another thread's question).

didn't the prices just shoot way up for the CT non-res?

They actually went up across the board for residents as well. It was a perfect example of politicians screwing people. No vote, just tagged at the very last minute to a midnight session. We were in the middle of the process when the hike went through and had to get a second set of certified checks (you have to have all of them when you start, even though you don't hand in the last set for ~ 3 months). That added another $7 or so in fees, bringing the total to around $320 for two of us. I believe the full boat is $210 per person, now.

Disturbingly, the hike WAS voted on a while ago and rejected publicly.

Grrrrrrr.

Where can we get the packet? I have Utah and NH, will be sending Maine tomorrow. Figure may az well get CT too. How hard are RI and CT to get? Would like to have all surrounding areas

Be careful about RI. If you don't qualify annually, like you're supposed to, you'll have yours suspended. The next time you re'up your other permits. You could be royally F'd in the A. Since you'll have a suspended lic on your record. You're better off getting a blue card.

If you have say a permit for CT and MA, as long as you're passing through the state and you don't stop anywhere. Its ok to carry while in RI.

Unless you really need it. I'd forgetta about RI. The other thing about LTCs in RI, in reading the application, they actually ask your employer if you need it for work.

Maybe some of the RI LTC folks can chime in.

My $.02

Last edited:
So these non resident permits only make it legal to carry in the state not buy a handgun right? If im a Mass resident with a Mass LTC and i get a CT. non resident permit i cant go over to CT and buy a pistol correct?

If you have say a permit for CT and MA, as long as you're passing through the state and you don't stop anywhere. Its ok to carry while in RI.

If you're saying it's alright to carry under FOPA, it's not. You can transport (ie. locked up) but you certainly cannot carry unless you're licensed to do so in that state.

glockstar said:
So these non resident permits only make it legal to carry in the state not buy a handgun right? If im a Mass resident with a Mass LTC and i get a CT. non resident permit i cant go over to CT and buy a pistol correct?

That's correct. Long gun, fine through FFL. Handgun - in state only either FTF with another resident of your home state or through an FFL in your state.

Well then, I stand corrected. Although it sounds as though you can carry only in your vehicle while traveling with no gas/rest area stops but I may very well be interpreting it incorrectly. Not that it limits you much... who needs to stop for gas or for a rest area for the 15 minutes they're traveling through RI? ;)

Correct.

I had no problems in CT for a non-resident. The process was very straightforward and it took about 8 weeks for me to get it in the mail. If you have any issues, call Rose Ann in the CT DPS. She was very helpful to me.

Am I the only person who's having issues filling out this application?

Are we supposed to fill out that small cardboard card? There is a section "Local Permit From:" (Name of City/Town of Borough.......Date of Permit)
Are we supposed to fill out our home-state permit info on the photo form?

sgs51j.jpg

23lmnhx.jpg

This app is one of the harder ones:
Notorize 3 docs (blue app, photo page, release of personal info)
Notorize a copy of proof of legal residence
Get fingerprinted (2 cards)
Write 3 separate checks for payment
Copy your firearms safety course certificate
Copy your current permit

This app says:
"Completed State of CT and Federal fingerprint card with $50 fee and $19.25 fee payable to DPS for criminal history background checks.
Does this mean they need 2 checks payable to "DPS" ?
2 bullet points down on the application it says:
$70.00 payable to DPS
So I have to write yet another check to DPS?

Does this mean they need 2 checks payable to "DPS" ?
2 bullet points down on the application it says:
$70.00 payable to DPS
So I have to write yet another check to DPS?

Yeah I just sent mine (back) in. I got the packet last year then put it off (fingerprints, notaries, etc just a pain). Then I decided I should just spend the Saturday morning and get it done so I sent it in. Unfortunately the fees had gone up to what they are now ($35->$70 plus new $50 check).

To answer your question:
You need three checks.
$19.25 and $50 must be cashiers check/M.O.
$70 may be personal check.
ALL should be made out to DPS.
Three separate payments, do not group! [smile]

They certainly don't make it easy. Plus I love the looks from the woman at the bank when I go in for notary service [laugh].

Im thinking to apply for Main, UT, CT for that application CCW safety course is required.
can anyone suggest where i can take such CCW course that will be acceptable for all 3 states.
thanks

Im thinking to apply for Main, UT, CT for that application CCW safety course is required.
can anyone suggest where i can take such CCW course that will be acceptable for all 3 states.
thanks

http://nraclass.com/welcome/

CT requires at a minimum the NRA Basic Pistol. If you took a course like that for MA then you're all set.
Utah requires a seperate course which can be had at the above link.
Maine...I don't even think they require a course do they?

I have my Utah, Maine, NH, PA and I am applying for my CT. The CT is by far the most cumbersome.

http://nraclass.com/welcome/

CT requires at a minimum the NRA Basic Pistol. If you took a course like that for MA then you're all set.
Utah requires a seperate course which can be had at the above link.
Maine...I don't even think they require a course do they?

I have my Utah, Maine, NH, PA and I am applying for my CT. The CT is by far the most cumbersome.

There are actually only certain NRA classes CT will take, so check with the DPS first. I just went through all this crap a few months ago.

From the CT DPS website:
You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.

It's a fairly painless process, but plan on at least 2 months to get the license (in my experience, although it included the Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays)

Back
Top Bottom