• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How Long for a LTC

I applied for a class A LTC on January 23rd. As I post here I have no answer from the local PD. When I inquired, at about the 4th. week the PO at the desk indicated that it was in the hands of the state. Is there anyone who might shed light on how much longer I can expect to wait. PS. I applied in a town that has a positive history of granting class A permits.

I only waited 3 weeks.. I believe it has a lot to do with the towns as well, some of them sit on the paperwork..

I applied for a class A LTC on January 23rd. As I post here I have no answer from the local PD. When I inquired, at about the 4th. week the PO at the desk indicated that it was in the hands of the state. Is there anyone who might shed light on how much longer I can expect to wait. PS. I applied in a town that has a positive history of granting class A permits.

Do not disclose any derogatory info towards your local PD on this website. We have rats here. A poster was recently denied his permit because someone alerted the COP of his town that the poster was complaining about the length of time he had to wait.

The "Official" word from the representative of the EOPS to the GCAB is that all licenses are now processed in 24-48 hours. So, any delay must exist elsewhere.

Of course, when you go asking, you get involved in an amazing game of "Pass the Buck".

As has been said it can be a month or several, it seems to be your local PD (weapons officer) most of them are part time so that in itself contributes to delays. Watch your checking account as they will not cash your check unless you are approved, also a friendly call to the weapons officer could shake the apple from the tree. Be patient and save money in the mean time as you're going to need it for all the toys and accessories, ask me how I know.

Be prepared to wait up to 3-4 months...it all depends how how motivated our state employees are feeling

BULL.

CHSB turn-around is a couple of days; AFIS might be a couple of weeks - IF that.

When the local PD tells you "it's the state" after 4+ weeks, you are almost certainly being lied to. Your PD either did not submit your app in a timely manner or is sitting on the returned license.

BULL.

CHSB turn-around is a couple of days; AFIS might be a couple of weeks - IF that.

When the local PD tells you "it's the state" after 4+ weeks, you are almost certainly being lied to. Your PD...is sitting on the returned license.

True. During my app process I called the CHRB after a few weeks had passed and they looked up my file and told me that they processed the information a few days after they had received it, and had sent it back to the PD.

They said, "it's the local PD." So for me what could have been 2-ish weeks turned into like 9 weeks, for whatever reason with which the local PD had then decided to crawl like a sloth.

That is incorrect.

This was the case in Mashpee, I called my WO after the four weeks using the "my check hasn't cleared maybe my paper work got lost line" and she told me if I was declined they would return my check. The following week my check cleared and I got the call to pick up my LTC. Maybe your PD will keep your money.

BULL.

When the local PD tells you "it's the state" after 4+ weeks, you are almost certainly being lied to. Your PD either did not submit your app in a timely manner or is sitting on the returned license.

This. +100000

To the OP: Your application has either not been sent out to the State yet (and they're just sitting on it)... or they've sent it out, and have already received the LTC (and they're sitting on it).

This seems to be the way local PD's incorporate their own "waiting period" in MA. Sad but true. They will say the State is taking their time... or that the licensing officer is not in, and therefore they can't check if the LTC is in yet... or the licensing officer is only in the office from 1-1:15 on M, W, F and 3:28-3:32 on T, Th and they can only give you your license then. But you'll have to call and schedule an appointment with the licensing officer first... etc etc etc. They basically feed you BS until they're "ready" to give you your LTC.

Good luck.

Last edited:
According to Goal, its a state law that it will be up to 40 days to get approved or denied. I could be wrong or I could have misunderstood Goal when I talked to them. But, I am almost sure its 40 days.

Watch your checking account as they will not cash your check unless you are approved...

That is incorrect.

This was the case in Mashpee...she told me if I was declined they would return my check...Maybe your PD will keep your money.

Well, either she lied, you misunderstood, or they are in violation of M.G.L. c.140 s.122

The fee for an application for a license issued under this section shall be $100, which shall be payable to the licensing authority and shall not be prorated or refunded in case of revocation or denial.

According to Goal, its a state law that it will be up to 40 days to get approved or denied. I could be wrong or I could have misunderstood Goal when I talked to them. But, I am almost sure its 40 days.

M.G.L. c.140 s.131(e) states they have 40 days to either approve or deny an application. Unfortunately, the law has no "teeth", as there is no penalty for non-compliance.

...The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing;...

Last edited:
I applied in November of 09, didnt get my ltc until March. Then they gave me a target and hunting restriction cause i was a first time applicant.

Back
Top Bottom