How long does it take to get a MG license?

Depends on where you live, who you know, if you have the 03 FFL or not, how you cut your hair, the color of your car, etc. Probably takes about as long as the LTC. Best bet is to go to the PD and ask. You do not want to apply and be denied. That will follow you forever. Read the Mass gun laws so that you will be prepared to ask the right questions and provide the right answers. The Pd response can be anywhere from "No way" to "No problem, what else do you want?" depending on the town. Same old shit, different license. Jack.

I guess I should have been clearer.
It has already been approved by the CLEO and submitted to MIRCS. I was just wondering if the turnaround time from them is similar to each time I renewed my LTC or if a MG license took longer.

I guess I should have been clearer.
It has already been approved by the CLEO and submitted to MIRCS. I was just wondering if the turnaround time from them is similar to each time I renewed my LTC or if a MG license took longer.

Congrats. Unless you don't want to do so, and we understand, can you tell us the town? Jack.

If your PD will issue you one, they will be able to tell you. The process on the back end is likely no different from an LTC.

-Mike

Topping the list would be a transferable RSP for my M1919, but They're few and far between as is most anything belt fed.

I'd like a Thompson, but, at 15K+ I would probably have to sell off most of my collection just to fund it. The stuff I can afford doesn't really do anything for me except maybe a M3A1

Topping the list would be a transferable RSP for my M1919, but They're few and far between as is most anything belt fed.

I'd like a Thompson, but, at 15K+ I would probably have to sell off most of my collection just to fund it. The stuff I can afford doesn't really do anything for me except maybe a M3A1

I've had the M3A1 Grease Gun since 1988. (Dealer sample). Got it for $200, had no finish, a million miles on it, would run off the full mag with one squeeze of the trigger. I had it parkerized, squared off the sear, and it has been running like a clock since then. The transferable ones must be going for as much or more than Thompsons now. But, with only one moving part (the bolt) these things probably will run forever. On the negative side, extractors are like gold if you can find them. I have one original spare which cost me $85. Before that, I had to pay $150 for a complete bolt/recoil assembly. If you end up with one, don't use steel cased ammo and start looking around for extractors. However, watching the guys and gals at the NES shoots have fun with the thing makes it all worthwhile. Jack.

I've had the M3A1 Grease Gun since 1988. (Dealer sample).... The transferable ones must be going for as much or more than Thompsons now...

Wow, You are correct. I could have sworn I had seen some listed in the 8K-9K range not too long ago. I just looked around a little and the cheapest one I saw listed was 13K.
Maybe time to think about an S&W 76 or something similar

Wow, You are correct. I could have sworn I had seen some listed in the 8K-9K range not too long ago. I just looked around a little and the cheapest one I saw listed was 13K.
Maybe time to think about an S&W 76 or something similar

You can still get into subguns for less than 5g's. I have two Reisings that work well if kept clean and lightly lubricated. I think that Paul up at State Line still has one. Also, the MACs are around. Problem with those is that you need to add stuff to make them controllable. If you can't have a suppressor, you can add a bbl extension and a vertical grip. Also, they really need a good solid stock. And you can get slow fire kits. Jack.

I like the Reising but I've never fired one of them. Are either of your's for sale? I really don't have much interest in a MAC or UZI. I want something WWII vintage.

I like the Reising but I've never fired one of them. Are either of your's for sale? I really don't have much interest in a MAC or UZI. I want something WWII vintage.

I'll probably hang on to the Reisings, at least for now. Don't know where you are located, but I have brought them to NES shoots and also frequent the subgun range at the Harvard club. If possible, you are welcome to try them out. They fire from a closed bolt, so you can actually hit things on semi. Maybe you want to post in the WTB section to see if a dealer or forum member has one for sale. To see the "customized" one, check out my 1-27-2009 post under "General Discussion". Jack.`PS There are also M2 cabines out there, but I don't what they are going for.

Last edited:

You need to look harder, 1919 plates are hardly "few and and far" between, last ad I saw from them DLO still had "new" guns available (course you can get them cheaper if you don't mind a used gun), point being look around you'l find more than a few 1919's available...

I have seen complete 1919s for sale, but no RSPs only. I already have a semi auto 1919.
Then sell it...When you consider the fact that the semi receivers are welded together in addition to being rivetted, and the internals are heavily modified, there really isn't much left on a semi 1919 that is of any use for a "real" FA 1919, use the $$$ you get selling your semi to help pay for first MG...

Then sell it...When you consider the fact that the semi receivers are welded together in addition to being rivetted, and the internals are heavily modified, there really isn't much left on a semi 1919 that is of any use for a "real" FA 1919, use the $$$ you get selling your semi to help pay for first MG...

Just FYI, the welding requirement was dropped by the ATF a couple of years ago. Rivets alone suffice for building the semi's.[grin]

Just FYI, the welding requirement was dropped by the ATF a couple of years ago. Rivets alone suffice for building the semi's.[grin]

Thanks I did not know that [grin] still my point being a semi 1919 won't yield many part for a FA 1919, the OP is best off selling it rather than go through the expense of trying "re-convert" it with a RSP

Last edited:
That is correct. The welding requirement was dropped before I built this one. It has no welds, rivets only. The only cost to me would be a new set of rivets.
Converting the internals back to FA would not be a problem for Me. That said, selling the SA and buying a complete FA is still most likely my only way to go, due to the lack of available RSPs.

Back
Top Bottom