• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Just for reference and from my own experience...

For the folks in or planning to move to Newton MA and are applying for their LTC for the first time , their standard approach is that you will automatically receive a Restricted (Target & Hunting) LTC to start. Then you will need to wait a full YEAR to submit a letter to the Chief of Police asking for the restriction to be removed.

If all goes well, it will take roughly 16 months from the first time you submit your application for the LTC to the point you "should" have an unrestricted LTC in hand. Be mentally prepared to jump through hoops and wait. Of course, you can try to take matters to court however I don't have the $$$ to fight that type of battle.

Good luck to all my neighbors.

Just for reference and from my own experience...

For the folks in or planning to move to Newton MA and are applying for their LTC for the first time , their standard approach is that you will automatically receive a Restricted (Target & Hunting) LTC to start. Then you will need to wait a full YEAR to submit a letter to the Chief of Police asking for the restriction to be removed.

If all goes well, it will take roughly 16 months from the first time you submit your application for the LTC to the point you "should" have an unrestricted LTC in hand. Be mentally prepared to jump through hoops and wait. Of course, you can try to take matters to court however I don't have the $$$ to fight that type of battle.

Good luck to all my neighbors.
Sounds like the "system" is subject to arbitrary caprice. Whatever happened to justice and equality? I could be interesting to know what other forms of discrimination are at work in Newton and if the elites receive preferential consideration.

Thanks for letting us know.

Wife finally called today to schedule her appointment (Easton) they are booked through end of November and putting folks on a waiting list for the time being while they ramp up additional officers to help in processing before scheduling more appointments...let’s see how long this goes on for...

putting folks on a waiting list for the time being while they ramp up additional officers to help in processing before scheduling more appointments

9M4Vy5L.png

🐯

Wife finally called today to schedule her appointment (Easton) they are booked through end of November and putting folks on a waiting list for the time being while they ramp up additional officers to help in processing before scheduling more appointments...let’s see how long this goes on for...
You should report this to the US Attorney for your jurisdiction and the state. Local law enforcement is unduly impairing your ability to comply with the law, thereby thwarting your Constitutional right to own a firearm.

Thanks for the update and keep us posted as the process goes along.

You should report this to the US Attorney for your jurisdiction and the state. Local law enforcement is unduly impairing your ability to comply with the law, thereby thwarting your Constitutional right to own a firearm.

Thanks for the update and keep us posted as the process goes along.

I would add, you should let GOAL and Comm2A know about it as well...

ltc,,,,Heck I went in back in February for my FID renewal, fingerprinted and paid my $100 bucks. They cashed my check but I still don't have it. Stays in effect sure but it's a bit ridiculous at this point. The state told me Tewksbury hasn't even submitted it yet.

When I lived in Tewksbury they were playing games like that, I called my state rep. and they sent someone down and scooped a whole pile of apps off the LO's desk and delivered them by hand to the DCJIS. Had the simple FID, yeah, FID in a couple of weeks after that. They sucked then with no covid excuse, they still suck now.

Quincy

Dropped of application and $ - 8/3
Went for fingerprints - 8/13
Called hotline on 9/21, said it’s already been issued to QPD and should be getting it within 1-2 weeks
That went pretty well, particularly during a period of high demand. Good luck finding a deal on firearms and ammo. Folks seem to be buying up everything in site. Small game season ought to be coming up pretty soon. Maybe the antifa freaks will start wearing bunny ears and howling at the moon!

Groveland LTC process seems to have changed a bit since my first LTC application in Groveland in 2014. At that time they had a mandatory 1yr restrictions policy per the Chief for new LTC applicants. However, my wife and son recently got their LTC and they both received unrestricted from the get-go. There has been a new Chief since 2017 so I guess he must have changed the policy at some point.

Their LTCs also came in pretty quickly. which was nice given how some towns are using COVID to slow walk things. Turn around time from appointment to arrival of LTCs in the mail was around 5 weeks. Similar timeframe to @Tally Whagger

Groveland LTC process seems to have changed a bit since my first LTC application in Groveland in 2014. At that time they had a mandatory 1yr restrictions policy per the Chief for new LTC applicants. However, my wife and son recently got their LTC and they both received unrestricted from the get-go. There has been a new Chief since 2017 so I guess he must have changed the policy at some point.

Their LTCs also came in pretty quickly. which was nice given how some towns are using COVID to slow walk things. Turn around time from appointment to arrival of LTCs in the mail was around 5 weeks. Similar timeframe to @Tally Whagger
It seems heavy handed and burdensome that anyone at the local level is involved in such an ordinary process. Imagine if they also "regulated" dog licenses or building permits, in a similar fashion?

I seldom advocate for federal regulation but the many states have made a given right into a quagmire of "mother may I" as to make it impractical to exercise our Constitutional right. A fundamental national right to carry law could standardize the matter such that residents/victims of Massachusetts might be regarded as regular law abiding citizens, across America, and that visitors to Massachusetts may also be welcome with reciprocity.

Thanks for checking in and keeping us all up to date.

It seems heavy handed and burdensome that anyone at the local level is involved in such an ordinary process. Imagine if they also "regulated" dog licenses or building permits, in a similar fashion?

I seldom advocate for federal regulation but the many states have made a given right into a quagmire of "mother may I" as to make it impractical to exercise our Constitutional right. A fundamental national right to carry law could standardize the matter such that residents/victims of Massachusetts might be regarded as regular law abiding citizens, across America, and that visitors to Massachusetts may also be welcome with reciprocity.

I agree with you about the federalization of firearms law but there's a potential downside to that too. If firearm laws/regulation is all centralized it makes it easier to do away with in one fell swoop. But certainly the current situation sucks for people like us that live in a state that is actively hostile towards the 2nd Amendment. At least my town is a bit more mature about things.

While I appreciate that the sentiment of your proposal is an honest attempt at finding a constructive answer.

I nonetheless do not want to see anything “federalized”.

What I would like is for the courts to tell the states to stop infringing on a constitutional protected right.

But like they say, people in hell want ice water too.

🐯

While I appreciate that the sentiment of your proposal is an honest attempt at finding a constructive answer.

I nonetheless do not want to see anything “federalized”.

What I would like is for the courts to tell the states to stop infringing on a constitutional protected right.

But like they say, people in hell want ice water too.

🐯
Yes, having court enforcement is a far better approach than attempting codify anything more in the USC. Who knows, maybe an updated Supreme Court will find some blessings in favor the Constitution, going into their next term.

Quick update: received call from detective today. Good news is that I'm getting my LTC (he didn't ask any questions); less than good news is that Hunting/Target restriction for first year on all new LTC issues. He said just write a letter in a year requesting unrestricted and it should go through assuming there have been no issues.

Then he said 8-10 weeks before I can pick up my card...ugh. Said it's out of their hand and with ATF now. I also asked if I could get LTC# and PIN in advance of actually picking up the physical card and he said no.

-Started in April and was told not until next year
-Received call for application and fingerprinting in August
-Went in end of September for fingerprinting
-Received call 9 days later saying I'm approved with mandatory restriction
-8-10 weeks to pick up card (god willing)

-------
Newton resident here, new to the forum. Called PD back in April and was put on a waiting list until next year but then received a call end of August telling me to come in with application and supporting docs end of Sept. They said to expect a call from a Sgt detective in the next couple of weeks and that my card should be ready to pick up by end of November.

Can't wait to hear what questions he asks me!

Last edited:
Kingston - 78 Days

7/8 Dropped Off
7/15 Fingerprinted
8/20 Activated*
9/24 Received

* It was activated and sat in a folder for a month until the folder was big enough to send to KPD. No idea why, maybe they're trying to save on postage instead of mailing each one separately.

Local police were great.

Newton resident here, new to the forum. Called PD back in April and was put on a waiting list until next year but then received a call end of August telling me to come in with application and supporting docs end of Sept. They said to expect a call from a Sgt detective in the next couple of weeks and that my card should be ready to pick up by end of November.

Can't wait to hear what questions he asks me!
Please let us all know what questions you are asked :) Your situation is distinct example of what is wrong with the process in Massachusetts, arbitrary, capricious and vague. Better that we might subscribe to the regular background process, complete the forms, pay your money and take possession, contemporaneously. As for concealed carry? Maybe a training program or something similar to what Andrew Branca presents to assist the firearm owner in understanding compliance, safety and obligations that come with the proposition.

Good luck with your interview and with finding ammunition for whatever firearm you may prefer.

I just did my LTC renewal in Chicopee. I was actually shocked that I received my new LTC in under 3 weeks, closer to 2 actually. I keep reading these stories from others about 8-12 weeks and when I was there they said there is a backup in Boston and it might take a long time, but that wasn't my experience. I'm just happy that I don't have to walk around with that receipt on me all the time.

I just did my LTC renewal in Chicopee. I was actually shocked that I received my new LTC in under 3 weeks, closer to 2 actually. I keep reading these stories from others about 8-12 weeks and when I was there they said there is a backup in Boston and it might take a long time, but that wasn't my experience. I'm just happy that I don't have to walk around with that receipt on me all the time.
Maybe they like girls better? Congratulations, that is the sort of performance we should find, everywhere.

Please let us all know what questions you are asked :) Your situation is distinct example of what is wrong with the process in Massachusetts, arbitrary, capricious and vague. Better that we might subscribe to the regular background process, complete the forms, pay your money and take possession, contemporaneously. As for concealed carry? Maybe a training program or something similar to what Andrew Branca presents to assist the firearm owner in understanding compliance, safety and obligations that come with the proposition.

Good luck with your interview and with finding ammunition for whatever firearm you may prefer.
Thanks and I agree. Hoping things go as smoothly as they did for VetteGirlMA in Chicopee! Since you mentioned finding ammo, any recommendations for finding decent bulk 9mm practice ammo?

Thanks and I agree. Hoping things go as smoothly as they did for VetteGirlMA in Chicopee! Since you mentioned finding ammo, any recommendations for finding decent bulk 9mm practice ammo?
If you are within striking distance of Four Seasons, they turn over a LOT of ammunition. They are in Woburn. It is also possible to have ammo delivered from out of state, albeit with freight costs playing into the price. Far be it that I would hold forth on what brand on variation on ammo to purchase though I will recommend that you get some practice with a variety that you want to be able to rely on.

Going on 62 days in Barnstable for new LTC someone posted they received theirs in 37 days i was fingerprinted 5 days after they were (8-3-20) I did call hotline on 9-22-20 they stated it was activated any idea why such a difference in wait time?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom