How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Just got the email today to pick up my renewal. Dropped renewal app off April 30th, email today July 31. My current LTC doesn’t expire till Sept 18. So I’m relatively impressed.

I’ll be impressed when EVERY town in the state issues within 40 days per MA law.

I’ll be happy when we do away with licenses and fees all together to exercise our rights!

Waltham
First time applicant.
Paperwork submitted on Friday, September 6th.
Received a call from the licensing officer on Monday, September 9th to schedule an interview for Wednesday, September 11th.
Got a call from the LO, and picked up my unristricted LTC (printed Date Of Issue 09/23/2019) at the police station on October 2nd.
26 days total, 18 business days.
Waltham is definitely green.

Last edited:
Waltham
First time applicant.
Paperwork submitted on Friday, September 6th.
Received a call from the licensing officer on Monday, September 9th to schedule an interview for Wednesday, September 11th.
Got a call and, picked up my unristricted LTC (printed Date Of Issue 09/23/2019) at the police station on October 2nd.
26 days total, 18 business days.
Waltham is definitely green.
Congratulations, very impressive!

4CBC52E9-A6A9-4100-937C-2A3ABAE7E163.png Ever since the state auditor came out with her firearms audit 2 years ago the state has been a lot better at getting the licenses out

August 28 (Beverly, MA) had a great interview for renewal with PD, was hopeful it would only take a few weeks. Saw him enter data into computer and gave me a temporary renewal document, seemed to me like it was submitted.

43 days later still waiting. Called the MASS hotline, told me it was still with PD for background check. Called PD this morning, they said they are waiting for the state to approve. So confused.

My renewal took just over 3 months. About half way in, I got a call from PD telling me that the "State Police had no prints on file". I had to go back and start my renewal from scratch, getting fingerprinted again. My LTC had expired but I had my receipt from the initial renewal. GTG. Don't lose your printed receipt.

I also received a printed receipt at my local PD. Does this mean that the application for renewal has been submitted to the State from the issuing police officer? I’m just trying to wrap my brain around the process, and where the bottle neck is. The fine folks answering the hotline keeps telling me it is with the PD pending a background check.

I also received a printed receipt at my local PD. Does this mean that the application for renewal has been submitted to the State from the issuing police officer? I’m just trying to wrap my brain around the process, and where the bottle neck is. The fine folks answering the hotline keeps telling me it is with the PD pending a background check.
The FRB answer you got verifies that it was entered into MIRCS. The receipt you should have received is the MIRCS receipt and is created when they enter your data into MIRCS.

My LTC expired in Sep of this year. Called Boston PD in Mar to schedule an appointment, but they were so backed up, the earliest they could interview me was Aug 22. They're really backed up which to me is a good sign that there's a lot more law biding gun owners in the city now.

Anyway, interview was on Aug 22. This was for a renewal. Moon Island was waived. Got my license in the mail today. Same as before - Restrictions: NONE. Total time since the interview was 10 weeks. Other than the long wait, it was a pretty easy process. Paid my fee, got me in, got me out.

Beverly MA

60 Days from initial interview for renewal to possession of LTC

The interview process went smoothly. Police Captain very helpful, and submitted application on the spot. Handed me a receipt to prove it.

Waited 43 days, 11/3 - 12/16, so almost six weeks and I was expecting eight weeks, so between that and having my restrictions removed, I’m happy 😎

Last edited:
Salem MA:
8/12 emailed renewal appt request for LTC expiring early December
8/21 received reply with 10/1 appt date
10/1 had appt; info was entered directly into computer, received receipt and an explanation that receipt is proof of validity of old license beyond expiration if new one is not received before expiration, licensing officer was friendly and helpful answering a couple questions
1/3/20 received new LTC in mail, postmarked 12/30 (unrestricted, as always)

West Newbury here.

Continuing the family line.

Applied Nov 19, 2019. Was quoted 2 - 2 1/2 months.

Called today and found out it's been activated and is on it's way to my police chief.

Not sure if I have yet to have an interview or if the chief fingerprinting me and asking me who was selling the land by where I live counts? It was so brief I didn't even have a chance to say goodbye.

Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Concord, renewal

Did all the paperwork on Veteran's Day. Current license was expiring around Thanksgiving.

License finally showed up last week.

August 28 (Beverly, MA) had a great interview for renewal with PD, was hopeful it would only take a few weeks. Saw him enter data into computer and gave me a temporary renewal document, seemed to me like it was submitted.

43 days later still waiting. Called the MASS hotline, told me it was still with PD for background check. Called PD this morning, they said they are waiting for the state to approve. So confused.
1580948416783.png

I dropped off my LTC application 4 weeks ago in Andover. I've called in twice and each time I am to told the Sargent has to look it over before they can schedule my interview. Last I was told it was another 2-3 weeks wait. That seems awfully long. Do I just wait or can I contact someone?

I dropped off my LTC application 4 weeks ago in Andover. I've called in twice and each time I am to told the Sargent has to look it over before they can schedule my interview. Last I was told it was another 2-3 weeks wait. That seems awfully long. Do I just wait or can I contact someone?

I see that you're new to the site (Welcome). If you're new to the Lifestyle, and this is your first LTC, here's the skinny:

You probably have to wait, patiently. It's difficult to fight the gatekeepers, as there's no penalty for them, if they drag their feet or ignore the law(s).

If you know of any others gun owners in Andover, reach out to them, and find out what the realities are.

Each town sets its own policies, some worse than others.

Cross-posted from the sticky in General:

(Still Acton) I had renewal appointment on 1/27, check was cashed on 2/25 and new license was in my mailbox on 3/9.

Not quite as fast as my wife’s LTC, but certainly on the quick end of the spectrum.

R

Back
Top Bottom