How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Lincoln, MA renewal - instant

Just swung by the PD after dropping off the renewal paperwork yesterday. Caught up with the licensing SGT after not seeing him for 5 years. Great guy. He did some online stuff which included the fingerprints. Huge fan of giving unrestricted (hates the BPD/Waltham/Brookline method). My LTC expires in 3 weeks and I was worried I would be in possession of guns with an expired license. As long as you use your old picture of yourself and just the fingerprints, the response is immediate and I got a new LTC number on paper. The actual card will be mailed in 4-6 weeks but the SGT said I'm legally good to go.

Also asked if they had surplus guns for sale. Chief said no-go since they gave the old guns back to Glock. They recently switched from 40 to 45 after feedback from the range (9 was used way back in the day). SGT was joking that his belt is heavier because of the extended mags.

Glad to know I'm set for another 5 years!

Agawam, MA renewal.

Unfortunately my permits were expired by 3 days. Still treated as a renewal I'm told.

10/16
Applied
10/23 Called hotline "pending review by local pd"
10/23 Check cashed
10/29 Called hotline "pending review by local pd"
11/5 Called hotline "pending review by local pd
11/13 Called hotline "still pending review"
11/26 Called hotline "still pending review"
12/5 Called hotline it is pending FRB activation? (Don't know what that means)
12/10 said it was approved 12/3 and that I should have it in 2 weeks, nothing yet.
12/17 called said it was approved, but hasn’t shipped.
12/26 Pending printing.
1/4 Local PD called said it was in :)

Last edited:
Agawam, MA renewal.

Unfortunately my permits were expired by 3 days. Still treated as a renewal I'm told.

10/16
Applied
10/23 Called hotline "pending review by local pd"
10/23 check cashed
10/29 called hotline "pending review by local pd"

Question. How long should the pending review process take?
It's a renewal even years later!

The important thing is the grace period however.

If not inputted by PD into MIRCS until after your birthday/expiration, you only have 90 grace period and can't buy/sell anything.

If inputted before expiration, you have an unlimited grace period and can buy/sell guns on the expired LTC and receipt plus ammo (if dealers allow).

"Pending" can mean a few weeks or a few months, depends on the PD.

I really don't think it was my local PD, we live in a very small town and we only have a few officers and the Chief, they are all friends of mine and wouldn't play games with me... I tend to believe them when they say that they haven't got them back yet... I was calling and each time I did they said they didn't have them back from the state yet...

The state may have been "holding" a batch of them for our town to send out as "one batch", I don't know... My PD has one day a month that you can go in and do your renewals or get a new permit... With that system we tend to get as I said batch's of renewals/new permits... Our Chief is great as far as permits also, I don't think he even does FID's, I think every thing he issues are LTC A No Restriction's... He is one Chief that is on the Gun Owners/2A side so I don't believe he would "hold up" any permits...

I still believe it is the state, they hated the 40 Day Law so they changed it to this new system so they can drag out the renewal/new permit system... Do I know that for a fact, NO, but I would believe my Chief before I'd believe the CommyWealth of MA...

David, towns turtle on LTCs all the time, they're just too embarrassed to admit that they screwed up, dropped the ball, etc. So they "blame it on the
state. " Even if the state did have your license, it's pretty obvious given typical turnaround times that someone at the PD should have banged on
the state for it. A town that only has one day a month for LTC apps has really limited resources, so this pretty much dovetails with the turtle job you
just experienced.

There's another possibility though too (mind you, this is a theory...) and that is, if the PD crapfloods FRB with license requests all at once, that's going to disrupt the process workflow at the state level. So the state might have "queued" a bunch of their licenses in a rotation, which unnecessarily drags out the processing time, because they're not going to process a huge chunk of apps from one town on day 28 and let it disrupt all the other applications.

If CHSB does this, inevitably, this is still your PD's fault- for not submitting the license requests in a linear, ongoing fashion. So basically by turtling and barfing out batches of license applications all at once, they are possibly, unknowingly f***ing up the timing for all licensees.

-Mike

There's another possibility though too (mind you, this is a theory...) and that is, if the PD crapfloods FRB with license requests all at once, that's going to disrupt the process workflow at the state level. So the state might have "queued" a bunch of their licenses in a rotation, which unnecessarily drags out the processing time, because they're not going to process a huge chunk of apps from one town on day 28 and let it disrupt all the other applications.

If CHSB does this, inevitably, this is still your PD's fault- for not submitting the license requests in a linear, ongoing fashion. So basically by turtling and barfing out batches of license applications all at once, they are possibly, unknowingly f***ing up the timing for all licensees.

-Mike

I bet you this is what it is, Wton as I said does it once a month so I would bet they send them into the state in one bunch...
The day they do it there is usually a lot of people there, so again the "sending a bunch of them" probably happens...

Then as you said the state says "What The Frog" and sets them aside till they can have the time to do that bunch...

We just turned my wife's paperwork in on October 10th so we will see how soon we get hers back...

There is no more LTC B going forward. All new applications or renewals are LTC A, FID, or denial.

Unfortunately restricted licenses may still be issued.
Actually a year or more after LTC-B was supposed to go away, I remember Comm2A reporting that 1 such LTC-B was issued that year by a town. No idea why/what but just because something isn't supposed to be done per MGL doesn't mean it won't happen. I suspect until the MIRCS software was updated to delete the B, someone could still select that option when processing an applicant.

Actually a year or more after LTC-B was supposed to go away, I remember Comm2A reporting that 1 such LTC-B was issued that year by a town. No idea why/what but just because something isn't supposed to be done per MGL doesn't mean it won't happen. I suspect until the MIRCS software was updated to delete the B, someone could still select that option when processing an applicant.

Jeez. [angry]

There is no more LTC B going forward. All new applications or renewals are LTC A, FID, or denial.

Unfortunately restricted licenses may still be issued.
That is what I thought too. Know someone in Weymouth that is nervous about his renewal this spring. He said something on the app says that unless you have a good reason for LTC-A (which he has), one will be denied. I told him that the LTC-B was legislated out of existence four years ago!

I haven’t been able to download their app to confirm. He may be confusing denial with restrictions. Have to do more digging but if he is correct, that is messed up!

Applied 9/11 in Lynn, Approved 11/26, Printer is down with no estimate as to when they are sending out the LTCs to local departments... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Update: After 97 days since dropping off application, I was able to pick up my LTC.
[angry2]

Last edited:
Oh for the good old days. Here in Acton I would go to the PD (after calling and being told to come right down). Get printed for renewal, pics, and find the license in the mail box in a couple of days. Their policy was to mail it out and inform the state at the same time. Of course, this was all before MIRCS which is the shittiest thing ever to come down the pike. Jack.

LTC Renewal in Groveland was relatively quick.

10/24/18 afternoon Received Postcard from DCJIS about renewal (My LTC expires end of February 2019)
10/24/18 9:01pm sent email to Groveland licensing officer asking about starting process
10/24/18 9:03pm received response from Licensing officer instructing me to fill out application from PD website and drop at PD any time. She would call back for an appointment after the Chief reviews the application.
10/26/18 dropped application at PD
11/07/18 (approx.) got a call from LO to setup an appointment, which was set for 11/13/18.
11/13/18 had a very short interview with LO which consisted of reviewing application for correctness, taking a new picture and that's it.
12/11/18 had a voicemail from Groveland PD dispatch that my LTC was ready for pickup

The longest part for me was getting the appointment after I finished the safety class. I should have called and set that up a month before I took the class. I applied in Worcester.

03/21/18 Took the Mass Firearms Safety Class

06/21/18 Application Appointment at WPD took about 10 mins to turn in the paperwork, get photographed and fingerprinted. Had to do the fingerprints the old fashioned way with ink. #2 son applied about three weeks after me and they had the digital fingerprint machine installed. They were great, very friendly, handed me a slip telling me to call the week of Oct 14th to see if it was ready.

08/07/18 #3 son who had applied a few weeks before me got the call his was ready and I was in the area so I stopped in to pick it up for him and found out mine and #2 son's were ready as well. They gave me everyone's license and I delivered them.

Wifey applied in late October and she picked it up this week (Dec 18th).
All of us at separate times with different officers found them all to be really great to deal with.
Very very friendly.
Easy as could be.

08/07/18 #3 son who had applied a few weeks before me got the call his was ready and I was in the area so I stopped in to pick it up for him and found out mine and #2 son's were ready as well. They gave me everyone's license and I delivered them.

Hoping others can comment, too, but is it permissible to send someone else to collect the license?

Hoping others can comment, too, but is it permissible to send someone else to collect the license?
Technically it violates the privacy law C. 66 S. 10B, however I'm sure that most PDs wouldn't have a problem doing so for family members or if someone provided a letter of authorization. I'm not even sure how many PDs are aware of that privacy law . . . it was my town clerk who told me about it as she had to redact all LE, FFs, etc. info from publication in the town street lists.

Sons had called in to say it was Okay to give them to me.

The whole thing was comical-- I walked in and said I was picking up a license, the officer remembered me and handed me mine. Standing there surprised I said I was there for my son, and he pulled out #2 son's and said it was ready. I said I had yet another son who I was there for in the first place.

We have enough family resemblance that looking at the tiny pics he thought I was one of them first. We have the same last name, different addresses but there was no problem.

I'm glad they weren't idiots about protecting privacy. Those are my sons. They'll never have privacy from me. ;)

Last edited:
Drop of app today to Lowell PD for ltc class a unrestricted
12/24/18
After 2 week wait for 10 minute finger print and sumit document they ask for.
Let count begin

Hell, I had to show them my expired LTC to get my new LTC, as I needed to provide a picture ID. [laugh]

I'm about to start renewal, again. [rolleyes] We'll see how it goes. Fakaktaness will be reported as appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom