• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Im at 59 days so far, the only thing keeping me positive is still getting to shoot at the public range I joined. I was told 100 day wait so that’s like the end of July, wishful thinking it comes earlier than that.

Im at 59 days so far, the only thing keeping me positive is still getting to shoot at the public range I joined. I was told 100 day wait so that’s like the end of July, wishful thinking it comes earlier than that.
I'm not so sure who the villain(s) may be in this regrettable process but that won't stop me from casting a harsh look at that AG woman. It seems as though someone with a position of authority has ordered all of this administrative process to be slow-walked.

Whoever the villains maybe, they operate with impunity and a cavalier disregard for their own regulations while disrespecting a significant size group of Massachusetts citizens.

It has been said that patience is a virtue. Maybe that depends on what the meaning of patience is or virtue is... or as Bill would say, whatever the meaning of is, is.

Good luck, here's hoping that you have something in hand before the 4th of July :)

does the "clock" in Boston start on interview date or Moon Island date? I'm at 45/34 days, and still in "licensing officer has not yet approved" status, so at least another 2 weeks after that according to the hotline. I called for my appt back in December and the first date available was late April, so I'm already 7 months into the process. Ridiculous.

does the "clock" in Boston start on interview date or Moon Island date? I'm at 45/34 days, and still in "licensing officer has not yet approved" status, so at least another 2 weeks after that according to the hotline. I called for my appt back in December and the first date available was late April, so I'm already 7 months into the process. Ridiculous.
It doesn't matter. PDs take as long as they like and we have no recourse. My last renewal was almost 5 months and it is from a PD where I worked for 17 yrs!!

It doesn't matter. PDs take as long as they like and we have no recourse. My last renewal was almost 5 months and it is from a PD where I worked for 17 yrs!!

In stark contrast, I have no affiliation with the local PD, my recent renewal was 24 days delivered, start to finish.

In stark contrast, I have no affiliation with the local PD, my recent renewal was 24 days delivered, start to finish.
Which proves my point. They can do their job efficiently or they can put them aside until "they get time". Each PD is different. If I wasn't planning on escaping MA shortly, I would have volunteered to help my PD in this area.

I thought that Boston fell under the U.N.

Some unreliable statistic I read this morning says that there are more than 370K licensed gun owners in MA. Just imagine if even 10% of the Bay State gun owners showed up in Boston to let the AG, Governor, and fools on the hill know that we are not real happy about being relegated to a cold back burner.

At $100 per person that works out to about $37 Million. We ought to be able to have some recognition for that kind of money. Granted, that figure is not an annual amount but presuming that licenses are good for five years, it still roughs out to about $6M year.

Maybe we ought to be able to pay an express fee, say an extra $50 to guarantee 30 day turn around on simple administrative processing.

I appreciate you fellows with the expeditious processing times letting us know how good the system can work. It kind of puts a damper on blaming the State Police for holding stuff up. That leaves about two more layers as variables in the synopsis.

Maybe we ought to be able to pay an express fee, say an extra $50 to guarantee 30 day turn around on simple administrative processing.
I thought there was already a law saying they are supposed to be turning them around in 40 days? If so, most towns aren't following it, so an extra $50 is likely to get "lost" in the process the same way the $100 is already.

I thought there was already a law saying they are supposed to be turning them around in 40 days? If so, most towns aren't following it, so an extra $50 is likely to get "lost" in the process the same way the $100 is already.
Haha, that was my sad excuse for humor :)

Besides which, the fee stays in the LEO community and, to my knowledge, is not remitted upstream to the state.

Haha, that was my sad excuse for humor :)

Besides which, the fee stays in the LEO community and, to my knowledge, is not remitted upstream to the state.

Wrong! NONE of that money stays with the PD. $75 of that $100 fee goes to the state, and FRB bills the towns for each MIRCS submittal. The other $25 goes to the town's "general fund" where 60-70% is used for the school budget. So increasing the fee, an "expedite" fee, etc. is of no benefit to the PD processing the applications. They have no motivation to do the work when they can't justify OT for it or any other expense.

Wrong! NONE of that money stays with the PD. $75 of that $100 fee goes to the state, and FRB bills the towns for each MIRCS submittal. The other $25 goes to the town's "general fund" where 60-70% is used for the school budget. So increasing the fee, an "expedite" fee, etc. is of no benefit to the PD processing the applications. They have no motivation to do the work when they can't justify OT for it or any other expense.
Well that explains that. There was no implication that any of the money went to the local PD. The check was remitted to the Town of Rockport who processed it expeditiously.

Expeditious was supposed to be a joke.

30 days West Springfield
Hope springs eternal. I have previously read that your area has a quick turnaround.

I may give GOAL a call and see what sorts of data tabulations they may have. Some statistical analysis might shed insight on how effective the local office authorization program has operated. Of course, the joy of the project would be obtaining grant funding for the research. If any readers are number crunchers and want to bat the idea around, we could start a fresh thread and do some preliminary research.

Are any of you from Springfield MA? Got my prints done on the March 22 its now jun 8th almost at the 3 month mark. How long did you guys have to wait? also what are the odds of me being able to get No restrictions?

Are any of you from Springfield MA? Got my prints done on the March 22 its now jun 8th almost at the 3 month mark. How long did you guys have to wait? also what are the odds of me being able to get No restrictions?
You could call FRB and ask them for your status. They should be able to tell you where you are in the process

You should get exactly what you applied for. If you do not, do not accept less and obtain a formal letter as to why you were denied.

I finally figured out what was delaying my application, it was a derelict rental client who was staging to forestall her eviction by claiming that I was harassing her. The District Court judge granted her preliminary petition and issued a court order on nothing more than her affidavit. I appeared in court with a motion to quash the order but was denied under a procedural matter. When the hearing date came and the plaintiff had a moment in court the judge vacated the order for lack evidence. Meanwhile, the local chief of police held up my license pending the court's adjudication on a Preliminary Harassment Avoidance Order.

On the uptick, the Chief granted the permit, despite the plaintiff's complaint, on the basis of the deficiency of the plaintiff's veracity.

As it were, the first of the month came and went a week ago. We have no rent. Legally, I am not allowed to ask for the rent as that would be harassment.

But, back to your situation, if you want to do some shooting, come on over to Rockport and I'll let you shoot some of my legally owned firearms! (but, not at the derelict rental deadbeat)

Last edited:
You could call FRB and ask them for your status. They should be able to tell you where you are in the process
I actually did call the first time the guy said it wasn't processed yet. Waited a month in a half and the guy litteraly hung up the phone on me, ever sense then when ever i try to call no-one picks up. Also last time i went into the Springfield PD i asked if my license was ready she said, i will get a letter in the mail when its ready.

I actually did call the first time the guy said it wasn't processed yet. Waited a month in a half and the guy litteraly hung up the phone on me, ever sense then when ever i try to call no-one picks up. Also last time i went into the Springfield PD i asked if my license was ready she said, i will get a letter in the mail when its ready.
You have local and state representatives whose job it it is to represent you. Ask them to represent you. If they will not, seek someone who will and let it be known who those persons are who will not or have not represented you.

Stories, as yours, illustrate just how malignant the system and process in Massachusetts can be, likely to a lack of standards of practice and variable subjective "judgment".

First if it has been 3 months the good news is you aren't denied.
It took closer to six for me.

You should know that Fall River City Council has for sometime refused to fully fund the PD. They are running one to two dozen officers short or more depending on who you ask. This is a very low priority item for them as there is no penalty for dragging there feet. They have more important things to stretch their thinly spread attentions.

They are a green town. The interview is a walkin with no appointment and you leave with a Mirc's receipt. They only issue unrestricted. Previous chief made several public statements pro2A and the department view is LTC is a Constitutional Right.

When faced with the challenge you have I took LenS advice and initiated pleasant contact with members of the public safety committee of the City Council. Specifically I pointed out my support for more thoroughly funding the PD. I had an immediate positive response from the council as well as the PD. Shortly thereafter my LTC came in the mail.

TAKE LENS's seminar on Mass Gun Laws. I have taken it twice and even paid for some others to take it. It should be a requirement. You will save yourself a lot of grief and come away clearly understanding how things work here in the Commonwealth and how we got this way. It can keep you out of jail. Mostly it will relieve you from depending on places like this and the LGS or "range experts" and police officers for very inaccurate information. For now, send an email to your city rep and be patient. You will be rewarded.

I also applied in Fall River in early April, thank you for this post! I figured it would be a while so this clears things up. Guess ill be patiently waiting and renting/shooting at the local public range for a while still.

What is up with fall river its been 3 months and its still in draft at the station. Anyone else have issues with fall river?

Im in the same boat! Keep on waiting brotha haha join a public range and rent firearms, get comfortable with shooting and training while you wait.

Fall River has a new person in charge of LTC applications. This job among many others he is tasked with, so it's not his only workload. Unfortunately he is not very quick on the turnaround of things.

2 months out from my renewal. Called the hotline to check the status, still sitting at the local PD, after they talked about how they send it off fast and its the state that is slow. Wtf

Back
Top Bottom