How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Figured this was an appropriate first post...

Barnstable ---

2/8/18.....First applied, paperwork and finger printing
4/17/18...license printed according to state
4/27/18....email sent at 3:37pm--- license available for pick up at BPD (they close at 4)
" ......License picked up 3:52pm
" .......Cape Gunworks 4:05pm to pick up my springfield xds that came in the day before
" ...... 150 rounds through it legally on my own by 5ish

so about 11 weeks, not too bad

Woohooo!! Thanks for all the advice and knowledge so far! --Blueskyday

Final update for Danvers..

3/21/18 - fingerprints,interview,application,etc
4/18/18 - activated and mailed to PD
4/27/18 - called and was told I could swing by and grab it at the station. LTC in hand unrestricted 37 days from application to license in hand. Looks like I’ll be taking a trip over to four seasons soon.

Check the thread on the LTC process that FRB gave me and posted in my forum. It explains all the steps in the process.
Len-2A Training
thanks for that info very informative, in your chart is said that if approved the application is submitted to DCJIS, I guess my question would be if they said it was activate? do they approve and activate at the same time then submit that to DCJIS or Activation is done when printed? the chart doesn't say at what step activation is done.

thanks for that info very informative, in your chart is said that if approved the application is submitted to DCJIS, I guess my question would be if they said it was activate? do they approve and activate at the same time then submit that to DCJIS or Activation is done when printed? the chart doesn't say at what step activation is done.
I just took another look at the chart and think it is time to ask Michaela Dunne (Director of FRB) for a revised copy. The "sent to DCJIS" in the last line I don't think is really accurate anymore. FRB has it instantly upon typing into the computer at the PD, I believe that is the last review by FRB (DCJIS) before mailing out to the PD. PD has one last step before giving it to the person and that is to activate it . . . that's in case it gets stolen/lost in the Mail it is no good until the "last hands" (PD) activates it. I'd not worry too much on their internal details. It's not yours until they give it to you and PDs are known to sit on them for weeks or months because it is a very low priority to them.

I just took another look at the chart and think it is time to ask Michaela Dunne (Director of FRB) for a revised copy. The "sent to DCJIS" in the last line I don't think is really accurate anymore. FRB has it instantly upon typing into the computer at the PD, I believe that is the last review by FRB (DCJIS) before mailing out to the PD. PD has one last step before giving it to the person and that is to activate it . . . that's in case it gets stolen/lost in the Mail it is no good until the "last hands" (PD) activates it. I'd not worry too much on their internal details. It's not yours until they give it to you and PDs are known to sit on them for weeks or months because it is a very low priority to them.
So If I understand you correctly if the lady said it was approved and activated, since the activation according to you is the last thing the PD does then it means that is printed, correct? so it must be at the PD if its activated. Thanks again

So If I understand you correctly if the lady said it was approved and activated, since the activation according to you is the last thing the PD does then it means that is printed, correct? so it must be at the PD if its activated. Thanks again
I called last week and they said it was “pending printing” and then I called again yesterday and they said that it was “activated on 4/18” so I called my PD and the licensing officer said it arrived yesterday and he activated it (whatever that means) and that I could come down and grab it.

I called last week and they said it was “pending printing” and then I called again yesterday and they said that it was “activated on 4/18” so I called my PD and the licensing officer said it arrived yesterday and he activated it (whatever that means) and that I could come down and grab it.
The LO needs to activate it which is separate from the activation from the FRB. You can’t have it issued to you from the PD until he activates it. I’m sure if that’s incorrect I’ll be corrected.

I sent an Email to Michaela asking for an updated chart or an explanation of "activated". Will post as a reply to my thread in my forum when I hear back. Fair warning, it sometimes takes weeks to hear back from her.

I think that this might be the answer for my question. if they said pending printing then after the second call they said activated then it means that they print the license before activating it.

I think that this might be the answer for my question. if they said pending printing then after the second call they said activated then it means that they print the license before activating it.
Correct when I called a week after the first call it was already printed and mailed to my police dept.

I sent an Email to Michaela asking for an updated chart or an explanation of "activated". Will post as a reply to my thread in my forum when I hear back. Fair warning, it sometimes takes weeks to hear back from her.
I received updated info from Michaela and posted it in the abovementioned thread in my forum.

Fairhaven, called FRB Hotline weekly for update.
2/23 drop off application
3/4 call for fingerprints
3/6 fingerprints and photo
4/12 "sent to state"
4/26 "Mailed to Fairhaven PD"
4/29 called for pick up

54 days from appointment. i dont think it was an unreasonable process at all for me.

Fall River...Applied for LTC A Unrestricted 12-12-17, in person. Called DCJIS in January, it was pending review. Called again first week of April and was informed it was activated and had been mailed to FRPD. Called FRPD and left 2 messages as to whether License would be mailed to me or if I should pick it up....no response. April 12th I went to the station during application hours and asked in person what to do. I was told as soon as they recieved it, it would be mailed to me. Found it in my mail box today April 23rd.
132 days.

Thank you for the post, I submitted my info and got prints done April 10. I called today and they said its still pending with the Fall river PD.

@gforce202 - Wait-time for non-resident ALP Class A. This won't be good news. FRB received my application Aug27, 2017. After twice rescheduling the interview - after having been told I wouldn't need one - first rescheduled because of Wx and driving conditions, IIRC, the other because of serious illness in family. On Mar15, 2018 I sat for my interview. Interview lasted about 50' Really nice person; entirely non-confrontational, but thorough. At the close, he advised me that "everything looked good," but it would take 8-10 weeks for the AFIS prints to be processed and his Supervisor to review all the materials and then make a decision as to "no restrictions" or "with restrictions." He went on to say that if I hadn't "heard anything" by week 10, to place a call. So, for me, I should have my LTC, non resident, in one form or another, by end of May. Let's see... figures out to be 9 months. :) :) HTH TB605

Soupdad22, WOW!! I could only hope to have had that turnaround time. Glad it worked so well for you....:)
Thanks,
The licensing officer in Taunton is pretty cool.
I went in for my picture and prints, made a joke about the “customers” in the lobby at the station, he laughed and I was out of there in 5 minutes. He said I should have it in 6 weeks but got it in just over 4.

My PA LTCF when I renewed it 3.5 years ago - it's for five years - took about 10 minutes. I sure can't figure out what takes the 8-10 weeks. but, can't be helped.

Take care,

TB605

Malden, MA: First time applicant in Mass (permanent resident)
Went down to the police station to drop off the app and did fingerprints and took a picture: 1/31/2018
LTC-A unrestricted arrived in my mailbox: 2/27/2018
Not even 30 days, not bad at all Malden.

I hope to get results anything close this this, congrats! I submitted everything plus prints/photo April 10, hoping for at least the end of July ?

Thank you for the post, I submitted my info and got prints done April 10. I called today and they said its still pending with the Fall river PD.
I suggest going straight to FRPD when calling DCJIS and they reply that it is activated. You will very likely shave a few weeks off recieving it. It's too bad towns/cities are of varying degrees of efficiency. If I was anymore downtrodden by govt bureaucracy, I'd say "At least I was allowed to exercise my right."

Located in Rockport, had an appointment to submit the application on March 12th, did the online finger print routine which was supposed to upload the prints directly to the State Police. At the time I provided a resume, DD214, two letters of reference and recommendation. Tomorrow will mark the 57th day since the process began and I have not heard a thing.

I recall the Sergeant who processed the form, prints, interview and such say that it would be anywhere from two weeks to two months.

Go figure, I am a veteran and have lived in many places. Now I am a retired CPA. Never been charged or arrested for anything and haven't had a speeding ticket since 1968--and I deserved that one, even if it was 50 years ago. My father agreed and let me pay for the ticket with my meager earnings from a paper route! And, we got'r'dun but it took a little while.

I don't see any point in going up the police station and trying to find out what's going on with the application when it seems pretty clear that nothing is going on with it! However, they wasted no time in processing the application fee of $100!

UPDATE 5/11/2018

Called DCJIS this afternoon and was informed that the application had been approved as of May 4, 2018. The LTC is awaiting activation with the Rockport PD so maybe next week I'll have a chance to set up a PW and carry away an active Class A LTC. Sixty one days and counting.

Last edited:
Weston (Renewal)

1/5 Called to schedule appointment, License expires(d) on 4/9. "Call back in March, appointments are available almost daily, and renewals are only a few weeks."
3/7 Appointment
4/18 Called FRB. "License has been issued" (4/17 date on License)
4/26 Called Station, was told it was available for pickup at front desk.
4/27 "Your license is not here. Call back on Monday to talk to Licensing Officer"
4/29 "Whoops. Sorry, forgot to bring it to the front desk." License picked up
(53 Days)

Is this thread dead??? Lol[/QUOTE said:
Not quite as dead as submitting an application and wondering what happens over the next 60 - 75 days.

My application was approved by DCJIS on May 4th and all I'm hearing is nothing. 65 days and counting. Sheesh, my memory is Basic Training didn't take this long and we got to use a wide variety of specialized ASSAULT hardware.;)

Good luck with yours, keep us posted as the process progresses.

Back
Top Bottom