How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Groton, MA: 29 calendar days from interview to pickup for an unrestricted Class A renewal. Be aware that the CLEO resigned a few weeks ago, so going forward things may or may not be the same.

Interview 01/25/2018
Arrived at local PD 01/22/2018
Picked up 01/23/2018

Agawam, MA: First time applicant

Application/"Interview"/Fingerprint/Photo: 1/23/18 (walk in, no appointment needed)

Date of Issue: 2/21/18

Call from PD for pick up: 2/27/18, LTC-A unrestricted

Last edited:
Malden, MA: First time applicant in Mass (permanent resident)
Went down to the police station to drop off the app and did fingerprints and took a picture: 1/31/2018
LTC-A unrestricted arrived in my mailbox: 2/27/2018
Not even 30 days, not bad at all Malden.

Peabody, MA
LTC Renewal (1st time renewal)
Dropped off app 2/17/18
Got call to make appointment on 2/19/18
Had meeting and fingerprints (took all of 10 minutes, no questions asked) 2/24/18
Renewed unrestricted LTC and PIN arrived in mail at home 3/9/18

Peabody, MA
LTC Renewal (1st time renewal)
Dropped off app 2/17/18
Got call to make appointment on 2/19/18
Had meeting and fingerprints (took all of 10 minutes, no questions asked) 2/24/18
Renewed unrestricted LTC and PIN arrived in mail at home 3/9/18

WOW! FAST!!! Take note everyone who believes it, when told "The delay is with the State."

I know this is a LTC thread , However the process is technically the sames so:

My son's GF FID was received yesterday from Braintree PD

interview 2/20
BPD called 3/12
picked up 3/14
issued date is 3/5

this was initial FID as well not a renewal, but it took 2 weeks..!! just goes to show that if the PD process it all the system does work pretty fast. and before anyone chimes in, i get it, its just and FID and maybe a little more review for an LTC and Braintree still requires 5 letters of reference for the LTC application. but the same overall process is done for both, correct. ?

Wife's (fully expired) renewal in Mansfield:
Form and check to PD: 12/7
Check cashed: 12/18
Picture and official signed form: 1/16
Issued by state: 2/22
Received in mail: 3/10​

Full process: 85 days
Picture to issue: 38 days
Picture to received: 53 days

I got my license in Danvers during the height of the backups in 2015. Ended up only taking 3 weeks or so. I called every day. They did a good job though. They used to never give out Class A's to anyone under 25, or first time applicants. Glad that changed
wow that is really fast hopefully mine is around the same time frame. Thanks.

New to the forum. Very informative site. Thank you!
I saw this link recently from MassLive.com.
It says it was Updated Jul 12, 2017; Posted Jul 12, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted somewhere in this very long thread.

Gun licensing process is slow in most Massachusetts communities, audit finds

Not sure how accurate the map is, but it's very telling to see how so few towns meet the "40-day-requirement".
I apologize if was previously post and/or I'm posting this inaccurately.
I just thought it may be helpful.

PS: In Barnstable, I am currently at 6 weeks with the standard "pending review; processing" from the Firearms License Application Status Hotline...

Finally got the call today my renewal is in! Filed on 12/14/17, expired 2/6/18, hey only 4 months not too bad! I got my first LTC in 1981, you'd think it would get easier with experience and an excellent record....

Called the hotline today and they said it was “pending printing” and takes up to 3 business days. Not sure what that means as far as showing up in my mailbox but my interview was 5 weeks ago this past Wednesday so hopefully soon.

Called the hotline today and they said it was “pending printing” and takes up to 3 business days. Not sure what that means as far as showing up in my mailbox but my interview was 5 weeks ago this past Wednesday so hopefully soon.

It gets mailed back to your PD, where it marinates on the Chief's desk 'til it's ready.

The licensing officer told me that it would be mailed to my house.

Yes, if that is your city’s policy rather than picking it up at the cop shop, but it will not be mailed to you directly from the state. The state mails it back to your COP or his representative, who gives it the final green light and then mails it out to you locally. And @Billsail was only half joke about it marinating on someone’s desk, that can, and does happen in some towns.

Good luck

Fall River...Applied for LTC A Unrestricted 12-12-17, in person. Called DCJIS in January, it was pending review. Called again first week of April and was informed it was activated and had been mailed to FRPD. Called FRPD and left 2 messages as to whether License would be mailed to me or if I should pick it up....no response. April 12th I went to the station during application hours and asked in person what to do. I was told as soon as they recieved it, it would be mailed to me. Found it in my mail box today April 23rd.
132 days.

Can someone tell me who makes the decision for adding a restriction on the license? is it the person that takes the prints picture "Licensing officer" or the chief in the town of Springfield? I ask because the chief never talked to me or even seen me, unless he seen the picture taken. The Licensing officer had a little conversation with me so Im assuming that depending on how that went is the determining factor of having a restriction on it. Can someone with experience in the town of Springfield comment? thanks a lot

Can someone tell me who makes the decision for adding a restriction on the license? is it the person that takes the prints picture "Licensing officer" or the chief in the town of Springfield? I ask because the chief never talked to me or even seen me, unless he seen the picture taken. The Licensing officer had a little conversation with me so Im assuming that depending on how that went is the determining factor of having a restriction on it. Can someone with experience in the town of Springfield comment? thanks a lot
Chief. Usually he sets a policy wrt restrictions/none and LO follows that policy.

Northbridge...Intrrviewed 3/5 still waiting. Called hotline, was told its approved from the PD just waiting on state. They said 2 weeks, it's been 4, still no permit

Back
Top Bottom