How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Got some news from Marlborough. Interview was 10/10 and I called the FRB today and they said my license was “activated” and waiting to be printed. Pretty fast turnaround I think. Anybody know how long it might take to arrive at the PD? Any help would be appreciated.
Mine was "activated and waiting to be printed" on 11/3. As of last Wednesday, it had not been mailed, with "a couple of weeks" forecast to get to my town. Note that han22735's only took 11 days.

Was told today that my license was mailed back to Marlborough PD on November 28th. Still haven't gotten a call from them. I'm going to wait until Friday and then check in. I've nagged the woman at the PD enough so I'll wait a couple days. Don't have time to go buy anything anyways.

Mansfield, renewal of expired license (yeah, I know)

Drop application and check at local PD: 8/30
Call from PD to schedule photo: 9/1
Photo/sign official application: 9/20
Check cashed: 9/21
Call state for status: 10/20 ("Pending review")
Call state for status: 11/3 ("Still pending")
Call state for status: 11/13 ("Approved. Pending activation by FRB. Few more weeks")
Call state for status: 11/22 ("Printed but not sent out yet. Call PD in perhaps 2 weeks")
Call from PD, license is in and ready to pick up, 12/5

LTC expires in late Feb. Called Boston PD to schedule appointment. They're booked until April.
(They did put me in just before lunch a few days before expiration so A+ for customer service)

Was told today that my license was mailed back to Marlborough PD on November 28th. Still haven't gotten a call from them. I'm going to wait until Friday and then check in. I've nagged the woman at the PD enough so I'll wait a couple days. Don't have time to go buy anything anyways.

Go Green while you wait....

LTC expires in late Feb. Called Boston PD to schedule appointment. They're booked until April.
(They did put me in just before lunch a few days before expiration so A+ for customer service)

Same for me. I called two weeks before my renewal, got the "sir are you serious?!?, we are booked out through the spring!" I said great, what do you want me to do about it?

Magically there was a spot open the day before my renewal and took my shooting test 2 weeks later.

Mind you this was the same story 5 years ago as well...

This year my renewal time from application to LTC in hand took only 81 days. That's not bad considering my last renewal took 93 days. My first LTC in the late 70's took less than three weeks to arrive.

51 days from application drop off to picking up LTC in Cambridge. Kind of a different experience in Cambridge from all I have read and heard. They do the interview, fingerprints and photo right at the time you drop off the app. Kind of weird with the photo and fingerprints considering there is no guarantee you'll get the license, but I didn't mind.

The person doing the interview was just a licensing clerk, not an officer. She was very nice, but wasn't great at typing and that resulted in very short answers being typed into the computer. I had to ask her to add "see letter" when she wanted to write in "for all lawful purposes" for the reason. Good thing I had a full typed out letter explaining why I wanted the Class A.

RD, wouldn’t “for all lawful purposes” cover any and all reasons regardless of the “see attached?” I know Brookline asks for your first born child, but I don’t know what extra crap Cambridge asks for.

51 days from application drop off to picking up LTC in Cambridge. Kind of a different experience in Cambridge from all I have read and heard. They do the interview, fingerprints and photo right at the time you drop off the app. Kind of weird with the photo and fingerprints considering there is no guarantee you'll get the license, but I didn't mind.

The person doing the interview was just a licensing clerk, not an officer. She was very nice, but wasn't great at typing and that resulted in very short answers being typed into the computer. I had to ask her to add "see letter" when she wanted to write in "for all lawful purposes" for the reason. Good thing I had a full typed out letter explaining why I wanted the Class A.

Well they can't process your application without fingerprints and picture.

I believe anything additional to the application (like your letter) stays at the station, may go to the chief, may go to the clerk only, but doesn't go to FRB. If they put ALP on the application in the system then it sounds like that's what license FRB will process. Everything you described sounds like my process in Somerville. Had the letter, but they wrote ALP only on the application.

Happy to be corrected on my understanding of where the extra locality requirements end up.

Fall River, first time applicant.

07/26/2017 - Attended firearm safety course and received certificate.
08/01/2017 - Application submitted to police station. Interview, photo, and fingerprints. Detective stated it would take 100 days.
08/09/2017 - Check for $100 cleared bank.
09/04/2017 - Called DoJ Firearms hotline; "Pending review"
10/19/2017 - emailed Det. Cordeiro about status (no response)
10/20/2017 - Called DoJ Firearms hotline; "Pending review"
11/10/2017 - 100th day
11/14/2017 - Called DoJ Firearms hotline; "Rec'd application on 11/08, allow 3-4 weeks for processing."
12/06/2017 - Called DoJ Firearms hotline; "Approved and mailed to FRPD"
12/13/2017 - received Class A unrestricted license in the mail

Took about 133 days (19 weeks)

I just got my renewal in Chelmsford recently. It was 3 1/2 weeks from walking out of the station to it being in my mail box

Well they can't process your application without fingerprints and picture.

That makes sense. Not sure what I was thinking, but I could have sworn that I read that some municipalities make you just drop off app first and come back for interview/fingerprints/photo at a later date when an officer is ready to process.

I believe anything additional to the application (like your letter) stays at the station, may go to the chief, may go to the clerk only, but doesn't go to FRB. If they put ALP on the application in the system then it sounds like that's what license FRB will process. Everything you described sounds like my process in Somerville. Had the letter, but they wrote ALP only on the application.

Happy to be corrected on my understanding of where the extra locality requirements end up.

You're probably right. This was all new to me, but I was paranoid that my legitimate reasons for requesting the license would be just tossed out without anyone giving it a look.

That makes sense. Not sure what I was thinking, but I could have sworn that I read that some municipalities make you just drop off app first and come back for interview/fingerprints/photo at a later date when an officer is ready to process.
Some do this, but they can't process a background check w/o prints. FRB won't issue the LTC/FID w/o the picture either.

brockton renewal.

emailed last week of august, quick email reply slotting me in for 10/24 (today). in and out in 15-20 minutes, was told it will be in before current expiration ( january 7th).

renewal is the standard app w/proof of residency. (and $100.00 of course) no letters, no asking to see safety cert again, etc.

brockton doesn't mail them, you have to call or stop in. i'll go in on 1/2/18 and update then.

dcjis receipt provided with copy of renewal app.

update: as i said, ltc expired 1/7/2018, didn't get a chance to stop by until today, and it was in. a bit less than 3 months, not within the law though (who do i call to complain?)[rofl]

good news part is i met a younger guy (27yrs old) picking up his first ltc, he waited a full 3 months, but did get an unrestricted which is contrary to what brockton used to do.

t & h was standard for first time applicants a few years ago, although they would lift restrictions upon request after a year

Last edited:
Just another take on it here. I applied in reading on 9/26. Status has been pending ever since. Been about 5 months now. No clue what to do.

Just another take on it here. I applied in reading on 9/26. Status has been pending ever since. Been about 5 months now. No clue what to do.
I've said it many times here. Start making phone calls . . . first to your chief, if no results next to your selectmen/town manager/mayor, if still no results next to your state rep/senator. Be polite, but make it clear that you want to get the LTC and resolve the "limbo" status.

Belmont MA - 58 days including holidays

12/16/17 - Submitted app and supporting docs to PD
12/20/17 - Called PD, instructed to call after Christmas for interview
12/26/17 - Call from PD to schedule interview
1/2/17 - Interview and fingerprints
1/18/18 - Call to state - Still at the local PD
2/6/18 - Call to state - Approved, sent to local PD, and activated
2/12/18 - Received LTC in the mail - new Unrestricted

Back
Top Bottom