How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

How long are renewals running these days? I've never been through the renewal process before and my LTC expires in mid-January. How far in advance should I start the process? I live in a "green" town. Thanks.

Yesterday. Depends on the town. My last renewal (after 40 yrs with LTC and 17 yrs as a PO in the same department) took 5 months. A student of mine had hers in less than 2 months, same department!

Well it's been a long process but it's all done now!

Town of Stoughton

initial phone call- 2/15/17
interview- 4/9/17
approved- 8/7/17
mailed to PD- 8/16/17
received Unrestricted LTC-A- 9/16/17

Attleboro MA. Renewal.
September 12 - dropped off paperwork at police station, including the 2 required letters of reference. I had good friends of GOAL and Comm2A write the letters on their organization letterhead.
September 26 - returned to the station for fingerprints and photo
October 6 - call from the licensing officer , my LTC is ready for pickup (need to stop by next week)

3 visits to the station required, during their business hours of 9-4. I work on the road and this is not terribly difficult for me to schedule/arrange, but I imagine it is for many others.

I applied for my unrestricted LTC in Springfield Mass on 7/15/17, to only get a letter from SPD a week later denying my request due to an incident 21 years ago when i was 15, to make a long story short i was found innocent through a jury trial and have had numerous jobs that run a thorough backround/Cori and never had an issue, so I pulled all documentation and went to file an appeal, $200 the courts charged me to file, i had to draft up my own response due to there being no standardized form for this, (talk about them not making it easy) then pay another $100 to have the PD served by the sheriffs dept. And get a court day to appeal the decision on 10/25/17, so 3 months have gone by, here it is now a day before my hearing and I get a call from a spfld police capt saying I do not have to go to the hearing they realized there was a mistake and that they were reopening my application and not only that but they approved my unrestricted LTC, so needless to say it has been an ordeal, but in the end it's paying off

I applied for my unrestricted LTC in Springfield Mass on 7/15/17, to only get a letter from SPD a week later denying my request due to an incident 21 years ago when i was 15, to make a long story short i was found innocent through a jury trial and have had numerous jobs that run a thorough backround/Cori and never had an issue, so I pulled all documentation and went to file an appeal, $200 the courts charged me to file, i had to draft up my own response due to there being no standardized form for this, (talk about them not making it easy) then pay another $100 to have the PD served by the sheriffs dept. And get a court day to appeal the decision on 10/25/17, so 3 months have gone by, here it is now a day before my hearing and I get a call from a spfld police capt saying I do not have to go to the hearing they realized there was a mistake and that they were reopening my application and not only that but they approved my unrestricted LTC, so needless to say it has been an ordeal, but in the end it's paying off
Congrats! Good on you for not giving up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Arlington

Scheduled an interview within a week of my call.

No extra-legal requirements (like letters of reference) other than the "interview" which consisted of a clerk entering my info into the computer. Not an interview at all.

Renewal interview 9/20/17

27 Days - Received a phone call from the same clerk who "interviewed" me telling me my licenses were in.

Last edited:

Pick up your LTC or get that in WRITING before 10/25!!!

If they change their mind or are playing with you and you just don't show up you will lose and won't have any legal recourse!!!!

brockton renewal.

emailed last week of august, quick email reply slotting me in for 10/24 (today). in and out in 15-20 minutes, was told it will be in before current expiration ( january 7th).

renewal is the standard app w/proof of residency. (and $100.00 of course) no letters, no asking to see safety cert again, etc.

brockton doesn't mail them, you have to call or stop in. i'll go in on 1/2/18 and update then.

dcjis receipt provided with copy of renewal app.

Last edited:
Framingham Renewal
Dropped off my application 10/5/17.
Returned this morning to pay my fee and get an updated photo.
Was told it will be 3 months before my license is ready.

My buddy just got home from work. Letter in the mail from Springfield pd saying your license is ready to come pick up. He submitted on October 18th. Will be going to physically pick it up tomorrow. Now to figure out how to get the target and hunting taken off in the future.

So much for me telling him over and over to submit, as it takes forever to hear back. Apparently that isn't the case any more?

I live in Seekonk and applied for a new first time license.

Oct 3rd - Met with the LO, had photo and fingerprints taken.

Oct 13th - Local LO approved the application.

Oct 26th - License issued and printed.

Oct 30th - License activated at Seekonk PD

Nov 4th - License in hand with no restrictions.

Nice job! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude! That is freakin' awesome!

I admire your perseverance in this.

Frustration for most of us here in Pittsfield. My appointment at the Pittsfield PD was August 8th, 2017, which was a solid 70 days before my LTC was set to expire. So today is day 97, November 13th, and my LTC is still not here. I have confirmed with the state office 3 times that my LTC package was mailed to Pittsfield. You can't check the status of your LTC locally or ask a question to the Pittsfield Firearms Administrator because she is locked behind a secure door at the PD and she has NEVER answered the phone live. I know because I have called there many times and I have dealt with this woman for over 20 years. A local firearms dealer says one of his Pittsfield customers is now in his 9th month of waiting for his LTC. That can't be legal in any way shape or form. I have lived in this city 20 years and have renewed many times. If I do not have my LTC by the end of the week , which will be over 100 days , I think I will seek help from an attorney to see if there is anything he/she can do. Tried the local Mayor and Ward members, all of which are extremely anti-gun and give you the excuse that there aren't enough people doing the background checks, therefore its the explanation for the lengthy delay. I don't buy that one bit since the State of Mass already confirmed the LTC was activated long ago. Questions, comments and advice certainly welcome.

Frustration for most of us here in Pittsfield. My appointment at the Pittsfield PD was August 8th, 2017, which was a solid 70 days before my LTC was set to expire. So today is day 97, November 13th, and my LTC is still not here. I have confirmed with the state office 3 times that my LTC package was mailed to Pittsfield. You can't check the status of your LTC locally or ask a question to the Pittsfield Firearms Administrator because she is locked behind a secure door at the PD and she has NEVER answered the phone live. I know because I have called there many times and I have dealt with this woman for over 20 years. A local firearms dealer says one of his Pittsfield customers is now in his 9th month of waiting for his LTC. That can't be legal in any way shape or form. I have lived in this city 20 years and have renewed many times. If I do not have my LTC by the end of the week , which will be over 100 days , I think I will seek help from an attorney to see if there is anything he/she can do. Tried the local Mayor and Ward members, all of which are extremely anti-gun and give you the excuse that there aren't enough people doing the background checks, therefore its the explanation for the lengthy delay. I don't buy that one bit since the State of Mass already confirmed the LTC was activated long ago. Questions, comments and advice certainly welcome.

Contact your state rep and/or state senator. They can light a fire under the PD, but tell them the response you got from town officials. You probably won't need to pay an attorney if you do this.

Good luck.

Raynham

First time applying.

9/25- Dropped off my app at the station
10/31- Got a call to schedule the "interview"
11/3- Met with officer for the "interview" but all he did was take finger prints/photo and I paid the $100
11/26- Unrestricted LTC in hand

This was way faster than I expected

May be the wrong place to ask but anyone have any experience with Marlborough? I was told by the clerk at my interview on October 10th they take 3-4 months but didn’t know if anyone could tell me if that’s true? I’m hoping they give long lead times so they don’t get a lot of people calling all the time.

Raynham
First time applying.
9/25- Dropped off my app at the station
10/31- Got a call to schedule the "interview"
11/3- Met with officer for the "interview" but all he did was take finger prints/photo and I paid the $100
11/26- Unrestricted LTC in hand

This just frosts me. My renewal was sitting at the state approved by my town and awaiting FRB review/printing on November 3rd, and as of the 22nd, they had not mailed it back to the town. They said it should be to my town by December 7.

This just frosts me. My renewal was sitting at the state approved by my town and awaiting FRB review/printing on November 3rd, and as of the 22nd, they had not mailed it back to the town. They said it should be to my town by December 7.

That stinks. On my LTC it actually says issued 11/15 so only 12 days from when I was finger printed.

Got some news from Marlborough. Interview was 10/10 and I called the FRB today and they said my license was “activated” and waiting to be printed. Pretty fast turnaround I think. Anybody know how long it might take to arrive at the PD? Any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom