• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Are you certain about the 90 days still existing? I thought it was replaced completely with the new infinite time period providing you and the PD do their parts prior to expiration.

G.L. c. 140, § 131(i)
For the purposes of section 10 of chapter 269, an expired license to carry firearms shall be deemed to be valid for a period not to exceed 90 days beyond the stated date of expiration, unless such license to carry firearms has been revoked.

G.L. c. 140, § 131(i)
For the purposes of section 10 of chapter 269, an expired license to carry firearms shall be deemed to be valid for a period not to exceed 90 days beyond the stated date of expiration, unless such license to carry firearms has been revoked.

Great, so now we have a contradiction in the same section of law:

(i) A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee's date of birth occurring not less than 5 years nor more than 6 years from the date of issue; provided, however, that, if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid after its expiration date for all lawful purposes until the application for renewal is approved or denied.

and the very last sentence is indeed a contradiction:

Seriously thanks for pointing that out.

So the first part gives you unlimited grace period and the second part says that you can be convicted of being unlicensed if >90 days past expiration. Great, just great!!!

So the first part gives you unlimited grace period and the second part says that you can be convicted of being unlicensed if >90 days past expiration. Great, just great!!!

No. The first part says that if you file an application to renew, your grace period is indefinite. If you don't file to renew, your grace period is 90 days.

No. The first part says that if you file an application to renew, your grace period is indefinite. If you don't file to renew, your grace period is 90 days.

So if you file to renew after it expires, and it's not renewed with in 90 days, is it a misdemeanor/fine or a felony to be caught carrying?

I was told that mine will process faster as I naturalized only 3 yrs ago and the FBI stuff is pretty recent with all the background work done when I became a citizen .

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Seekonk
Renewal for February
18 Oct - Called/emailed and was instructed to call back 1st week in Dec
2 Dec - Called/emailed and was given Jan 5th as date for interview
Rcvd renewal reminder from state
5 Jan - Interview completed (payment, application entered online, picture, and fingerprints), rcvd receipt. No nonsense officer and process. Just a nice guy. Said I should have it in 6-8 weeks and not to worry if it takes longer as I have the receipt.
10 Feb - Rcvd new license in mail, 6 days before current license expires
~5 weeks for renewal

Last edited:
How soon before expiration can I start the renewal?

Could I do it a month or two in advance?

How soon before expiration can I start the renewal?

Could I do it a month or two in advance?

Depends on the town, I did it 5 months early and just received it a week before expiration.

Try 4-5 months early, can't hurt. Some PDs are a PITA and take forever, some refuse to accept them until x before expiration, etc. They all get to make up their own rules.

Depends on the town, I did it 5 months early and just received it a week before expiration.

Try 4-5 months early, can't hurt. Some PDs are a PITA and take forever, some refuse to accept them until x before expiration, etc. They all get to make up their own rules.

Thanks for the reply.

I called the PD and it was a miracle, the licensing officer was working. She told me 6 months and went over the calendar so we could schedule an appointment. She was very helpful.

Guys wish me well I am hopping in the PD today hopefully to pick mine up in a town that Mails it to you. DCJIS said that it was issued on January 23rd and yet nothing in the mail. Norton.

It may have been issued then but it can take a week for it to get mailed. Then the PD when received has to activate it. Then mail it. It can take a couple days between the LO licking the envelope and it actually getting to the PO. Low priority slow movement. Hope they hand it over the counter to you and profusely apologize for not getting it out more quickly. You never know could happen

Thanks for the info.

Stopped in said was mailed 2 days ago, here's hoping.

Last edited:
Applied Jan 30 th
Licence ready for pickup call Feb 16.

I was told it will be faster as I became a US citizen only 3 years ago and FBI did all the background check and biometric then.

Is there a way to see if the PD actived it. FRB said it was active and mailed to PD on 1/24. Last week FRB told me it was in the process of being mailed. They said check with PD this week.
Any suggestions? calling licensing officer just goes to voicemail. Left message few weeks ago and he never called back.

Thanks guys.

It is a green town, and I was told it would take 8 weeks so to go to 20 weeks was quite an exercise in patience.

Thanks guys.

It is a green town, and I was told it would take 8 weeks so to go to 20 weeks was quite an exercise in patience.
Cool.tried to go some where shoot today and looks like I have to be a member. American firearm is ofcourse booked and crowded .

Hi everyone!! I'm brand new to the forum and cannot wait to rec my LTC!! I was just wondering everyone's experience with the time frame in receiving my licence. I have been waiting just a little over a month now and have just seen that the check I gave my PD has been cashed!! Just wondering how long it takes to receive the card from when the check is cashed.

thanks everyone in advance
PS I live in West Bridgewater

Hi everyone!! I'm brand new to the forum and cannot wait to rec my LTC!! I was just wondering everyone's experience with the time frame in receiving my licence. I have been waiting just a little over a month now and have just seen that the check I gave my PD has been cashed!! Just wondering how long it takes to receive the card from when the check is cashed.

thanks everyone in advance
PS I live in West Bridgewater

Some PDs send the checks to their town treasurer immediately, others sit on them for months. You can't judge speed of issuance from that info.

Here's the flow chart info on the licensing process. Not much has changed if at all since it was released.
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...Firearms-License-Application-Process-Oct-2013

Seekonk
Renewal for February
18 Oct - Called/emailed and was instructed to call back 1st week in Dec
2 Dec - Called/emailed and was given Jan 5th as date for interview
Rcvd renewal reminder from state
5 Jan - Interview completed (payment, application entered online, picture, and fingerprints), rcvd receipt. No nonsense officer and process. Just a nice guy. Said I should have it in 6-8 weeks and not to worry if it takes longer as I have the receipt.
10 Feb - Rcvd new license in mail, 6 days before current license expires
~5 weeks for renewal

I need to call my LO. Submitted my paperwork on 7 Jan and still waiting. We're usually pretty fast here.

Renewal in Woburn.

Called in December. Got an appointment for January 11th received LTC - A Sporting today. I did right letter to Chief and hand delivered before the appoint asking for no restrictions, included all my certifications for training and such but he sent letter back stating we do not do that unless you own a business handle money or fear for your life. I knew this as it is written that way on the web site. I tried but no joy.

Back
Top Bottom