• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

I disagree. It's a TELEPHONE scam. That means someone has to have access to your application to get your phone number. That information wouldn't be on a general report of who filed for a fire arm, CORI, etc. If it was an e-mail scam, then I would agree. DCJIS has a leak or has been hacked.

Are you sure they are not just calling random numbers hoping to hook people who may have records they would like stricken from the books?? Sure it's a phone scam, but where is the proof of a leak. Those scammers call thousands of numbers daily. Have you ever heard of the IRS scam? They call everybody, not just the one's who owe money. If you have specific info on multiple instances of this, I'd like to hear about them. For now, I'm calling it a coincidence.

I disagree. It's a TELEPHONE scam. That means someone has to have access to your application to get your phone number. That information wouldn't be on a general report of who filed for a fire arm, CORI, etc. If it was an e-mail scam, then I would agree. DCJIS has a leak or has been hacked.

Man if they get hacked I will have a lot of explaining to do to the wife if fa10's were posted online ha.

Are you sure they are not just calling random numbers hoping to hook people who may have records they would like stricken from the books?? Sure it's a phone scam, but where is the proof of a leak. Those scammers call thousands of numbers daily. Have you ever heard of the IRS scam? They call everybody, not just the one's who owe money. If you have specific info on multiple instances of this, I'd like to hear about them. For now, I'm calling it a coincidence.

Anything these days is possible I suppose so, no, I'm not sure. If I was a scammer, I would only go after targets that I had a good chance of succeeding on. This scam targets a SPECIFIC group of people whose identity should not be public record, where as an IRS scam relates to all citizens.

That's not bat at all

Actually, it is bad. By law, it was supposed to be issued by November 22. Try paying your taxes two weeks late and see what happens.....

The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law.

Just picked up both my wife and I's LTC from Mashpee. It was a smooth process. The LO for Mashpee is very nice, and made me feel completely at ease through the whole process, answering any questions we had. We got the feeling Mashpee really wants to see it's citizens get their LTC.

72 Days from appointment to picking up the license.

Took the free LTC course offered by Mashpee Police at the end of last year.

10/13 Fingerprints, photo's and applications done.
11/15 Called firearm bureau on - "Still under review by local PD"
12/20 Called firearm bureau - "Approved/activated on the 12/6, and mailed to PD"
12/21 Called LO on to check if license was in. She looked and said she did not see it, but would let me know when it came in.
12/27 Got the call from LO on that the license had arrived. Still had to file pin and could pick it up in the morning.
12/28 Picked up both my wife's and my LTC - no restrictions for either of us.

Last edited:
^same for me. I learned from another resident and member here that they do group batch sending,where if 1 person has an issue etc everyone in the group gets delayed. Will call frb again on Tuesday and if still waiting on pd to send in will stop in pd.

Called frb, at 14 weeks now, they said still pending approval from LO. Dropped in pd, spoke to LO through front window, said frb is saying they haven't received anything from you...he said he's putting it back on them and that he entered my info etc and that their fingerprinting unit and main area don't communicate? Gave him my name and he said he'd look into it and call me. This was Tuesday. Argh i hate the game in this state. Should i follow up with a call tomorrow? Or give it another couple weeks then check in again? I'm getting the run around! Don't want to come off to LO as a pest but this is my right, our right!.

Edit: i had called and left voice mails with the LO at week 8 and 11 with no call back on either, Politely asking for a status check.

Last edited:
Renewal submitted today in Hopedale. Only needed a copy of the prior LTC application (When I arrived he had already started copying/pasting from my prior application online) and a check for $100. Almost forgot to update the application with the two new out-of-state licenses I've gotten in the meantime.

Licensing officer took photo, but not new fingerprints. I signed the affidavit stating I had not lost any firearms since my prior application, and he gave me the signed receipt to cover any gap between expiration of my current LTC and arrival of the new one.

Very green town, estimated time to completion 4-6 weeks. Will post update when received.

Update, applied for renewal maybe a month back because state sent me a letter telling me better sooner than later. Took 3-4 days for an appointment, only because I couldn't go the day after I called. Pix taken, told that I would get a new ltc for zip right after my 70th birthday in March, came in yesterday. Unfortunately' license appears to be good for longer than I will be!!

Update, applied for renewal maybe a month back because state sent me a letter telling me better sooner than later. Took 3-4 days for an appointment, only because I couldn't go the day after I called. Pix taken, told that I would get a new ltc for zip right after my 70th birthday in March, came in yesterday. Unfortunately' license appears to be good for longer than I will be!!

My next renewal will be at 70 years old. Did they not collect the fee at application time? The effective date of the new LTC should be on your upcoming birthday. Use the old one until then.

My next renewal will be at 70 years old. Did they not collect the fee at application time? The effective date of the new LTC should be on your upcoming birthday. Use the old one until then.

Mine is and showed me a real problem with MGL (what's new?).

"Black letter of the law" it is an application fee that is waived for those 70 or older on renewal. Since to get a grace period you apply prior to your 70th birthday, some PDs still charge the fee on this basis, others will grant it for free but not hand you your LTC until the day of your birthday (it isn't valid til then anyway), some will seek advice from FRB who will tell them to choose "$0.00" for the fee.

The wording of MGL needs to be changed to state clearly that if the effective date is on your 70th birthday or later, the renewal application fee is waived. I'll be trying again with Sen. James Timilty but the chance of a change is slim to none.

Mine is and showed me a real problem with MGL (what's new?).

"Black letter of the law" it is an application fee that is waived for those 70 or older on renewal. Since to get a grace period you apply prior to your 70th birthday, some PDs still charge the fee on this basis, others will grant it for free but not hand you your LTC until the day of your birthday (it isn't valid til then anyway), some will seek advice from FRB who will tell them to choose "$0.00" for the fee.

The wording of MGL needs to be changed to state clearly that if the effective date is on your 70th birthday or later, the renewal application fee is waived. I'll be trying again with Sen. James Timilty but the chance of a change is slim to none.

Yeah, I know what the law says. I'm only hoping for a compassionate town administration. The last time I renewed I said to the LO, "the next one will be free, right"? and he replied, "yes, it should be." Now I know enough not to rely on the word of some random guy sitting behind a desk, but it did give me a glimmer of hope.[laugh]

With my health, there's a good chance it will be my last one, so one freebie in 45 years is appropriate, no?

Yeah, I know what the law says. I'm only hoping for a compassionate town administration. The last time I renewed I said to the LO, "the next one will be free, right"? and he replied, "yes, it should be." Now I know enough not to rely on the word of some random guy sitting behind a desk, but it did give me a glimmer of hope.[laugh]

With my health, there's a good chance it will be my last one, so one freebie in 45 years is appropriate, no?

If there is any question, ask them to call FRB, Michaela tells me that when the PD does that they are instructed to put it thru as $0.00.

My wife is currently at 60 days. 60 Days on the backlog to even schedule the meeting that will be another 4 weeks out to even start the 90 day counter. So at minimum a total of 6 months at this point.

Back
Top Bottom