• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Today is exactly nine weeks and one day since my getting my photograph taken and prints done in Framingham. Still "pending review." I'm beginning to doubt the veracity of the nice lady at the records office when she said "12 weeks."

I was told 10-12. It's been 13 TODAY!

Pending review

Northbridge.

I have been waiting almost 12 weeks for mine. I called the number listed earlier in this thread to check on status. The state said something about waiting for the town, that they had not sent in the application yet. I asked the woman if that was the final step or....and she seemed to be a little perturbed that I didn't know the process and said no we haven't received the application from your town yet. I called the town's number this week, and it appears that they haven't sent the application in yet......because the state hasn't gotten back to them about our prints yet. (My wife and I applied at the same time) The women said that it is taking longer since we are new applicants, and she has no idea how long the state will take.
Now my question is: Would it take the states 3 months to look up prints found at a crime scene? I doubt it. So what is taking them so long? Nevermind. I already know the answer. Actually, there are more than a few reasons I can think of that they might be taking their time.
And before anyone asks, I live in green town, and until I get it, I am going to keep quiet about where. I don't want to poke a sleeping bear, so to speak. As far as I can tell, my town police department has been very good about it and the delay is not on their side.

Brian

I have been waiting almost 12 weeks for mine. I called the number listed earlier in this thread to check on status. The state said something about waiting for the town, that they had not sent in the application yet. I asked the woman if that was the final step or....and she seemed to be a little perturbed that I didn't know the process and said no we haven't received the application from your town yet. I called the town's number this week, and it appears that they haven't sent the application in yet......because the state hasn't gotten back to them about our prints yet. (My wife and I applied at the same time) The women said that it is taking longer since we are new applicants, and she has no idea how long the state will take.
Now my question is: Would it take the states 3 months to look up prints found at a crime scene? I doubt it. So what is taking them so long? Nevermind. I already know the answer. Actually, there are more than a few reasons I can think of that they might be taking their time.
And before anyone asks, I live in green town, and until I get it, I am going to keep quiet about where. I don't want to poke a sleeping bear, so to speak. As far as I can tell, my town police department has been very good about it and the delay is not on their side.

Brian

Why would it matter if you told what town? Your not saying anything bad just a topic on a forum. Mine has been 13 weeks and whenever I get it is fine with me. There are a ton of people who put in their applications and of course it's not going to be a quick turn around. Just gotta wait it out. I've gone 28 years without an LTC, I can wait the months it takes to get it. Everyone is calling the hotline to see where their app is, what's that going to do? It's going to get to you when it does, calling the PD and all that isn't going to do anything.

Like anything I am always curious to know what is going on when I pay for something, I don't know why this process has to be so hush hush, the way some officials act is just down right ridiculous.

Tim

Like anything I am always curious to know what is going on when I pay for something, I don't know why this process has to be so hush hush, the way some officials act is just down right ridiculous.

Tim

Because it is a secret process. Except someone broke their double-secret oath and spilled the beans. Of course only those few that bother reading Stickies might find the magic answers.

Because it is a secret process. Except someone broke their double-secret oath and spilled the beans. Of course only those few that bother reading Stickies might find the magic answers.

I have been keeping up with the posts that describe the process and understand it's going to take time, I am having some fun with it cause there is nothing else to do, But ! just in case it doesn't get any better, I am going to wait about a month after I get my LTC and start the renewal process, I figure by the time my Six years is up the renewal should be ready to pick up, I don't want to go through this again.

Tim ~ [smile]

My town said 90 days (green town). It went a little over 120. The police station handled everything great and timely. The FRB is a little tougher to deal with. I called one time and they told me "all set and approved, going to get printed." I called 2 weeks later to check the status again and they said "it was still at the police station pending approval". When I questioned them on it they would not confirm nor deny anyone ever fed me wrong information. Didn't want to push the issue for obvious reasons. My advice is to be patient and play the game. The police station will mail you your license when it gets to them. Well most do that.

Why would it matter if you told what town? Your not saying anything bad just a topic on a forum. Mine has been 13 weeks and whenever I get it is fine with me. There are a ton of people who put in their applications and of course it's not going to be a quick turn around. Just gotta wait it out. I've gone 28 years without an LTC, I can wait the months it takes to get it. Everyone is calling the hotline to see where their app is, what's that going to do? It's going to get to you when it does, calling the PD and all that isn't going to do anything.
Well, just in case someone from my town is watching, I didn't want this to turn into a blame the local PD deal, blaming them and claiming they are full of it and everything else. I may not be saying anything bad, but if it turned into it, it might not work out well for me. So I just decided to err on the cautious side. I see posts go in that direction quite a bit, and I wasn't taking chances.
I can wait too, but it is a little annoying when I have laid out money for my wife and I to take the necessary training, and pay for our licenses, only to have to wait this long. I don't normally pay for something that I have to wait months for. The worst part is, my wife wasn't too keen on the idea of my getting a gun and having one in the house. I made her go to the class. If one was going to be in the house she had to go. She agreed, and the instructor was excellent, and even got her to do the live fire. She enjoyed it and decided to get her license. Now, by the time we get them, she is going to be nervous about picking one up again. Heck at this point our training is practically useless. I almost forget which end of the gun is the dangerous end. So what is the point of having us attend? I am probably going to have to take her to class again, just so that she will be comfortable enough to pick up a loaded weapon.

Applied June 12 in Reading MA (RED)
Check cashed August 23.
Still pending review.

This wait is a tough one, especially when I keep finding myself heading out to locations like Springfield, Worcester, and Brockton in the middle of the night because I'm on call. Not the best neighborhoods to not have the means to fully protect yourself.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I called Boston last week to check on my renewal. Applied on 6 Jun, requal'd on Moon Island on 10 Jun. The person on the phone told me that the average time is now longer than originally estimated, 3-4+ months vs 2-3. She was very polite and basically told me that all I (and they) can do now is wait. Unfortunately, a lot of folks are in the same boat.

Today marks 8 weeks. Called the state hotline yesterday to check the status and they said it had already been approved, printed, and was sent to my PD last Thursday. I'm going to call the licensing officer today, hopefully I can pick it up today.
What I don't get is why my license was approved and sent to the local PD in under 8 weeks, while a lot of others take 10-100 weeks. All I can figure is that it's a town thing. I know Gardner is very green, so maybe they either don't hold things up or they have a faster way to process them on their end.

Got mine. Applied in late April, got it 2 days. In my town's defense, he kept me well informed at how much the state sucks at getting paperwork together, when things were processing and where my application was. Not much the town could do. The state on the other hand....useless.

FINALLY got the good news my LTC was approved and is in the process of being printed! Springfield applied 5/2 approved/activated 8/27, 117 days later. license in hand TBA

All I can figure is that it's a town thing.

It's not (always,) as is well documented in this thread, the state (MSP AFIS) returns prints to towns in totally random order. My PD has recently received prints back submitted in June, before receiving prints submitted in May... I'm not blaming MSP AFIS, they're receiving twice the work load with the same staff, of course some things may get jumbled up, what we need is to get more techs in there processing these things and getting them back to the PD's. THAT is the hold up in the VAST, VAST majority of time, unless you live in a town that is well documented to sit on applications i.e. Everett

It's not (always,) as is well documented in this thread, the state (MSP AFIS) returns prints to towns in totally random order. My PD has recently received prints back submitted in June, before receiving prints submitted in May... I'm not blaming MSP AFIS, they're receiving twice the work load with the same staff, of course some things may get jumbled up, what we need is to get more techs in there processing these things and getting them back to the PD's. THAT is the hold up in the VAST, VAST majority of time, unless you live in a town that is well documented to sit on applications i.e. Everett

Another theory I have is that Gardner was reasonably quick because they no longer do ink prints. They use the fancy new electronic print machine that's tied into the print database. I can see that shaving some time off the app processes. I know a lot of towns are still using ink prints that have to be manually scanned in and sometimes the system doesn't like the prints for some reason and they get kicked back out and have to be redone.

Another theory I have is that Gardner was reasonably quick because they no longer do ink prints. They use the fancy new electronic print machine that's tied into the print database. I can see that shaving some time off the app processes. I know a lot of towns are still using ink prints that have to be manually scanned in and sometimes the system doesn't like the prints for some reason and they get kicked back out and have to be redone.

My town did both electronic and ink prints.

Sounds familiar. My wife is in the process of trying to get a federal background check going and TWICE her ink fingerprint cards have been kicked back from the FBI as insufficient.

Now she's going to have them done in a neighboring town with more crime in the hope that the officers there have more experience fingerprinting people.

I applied for my renewal on April 2nd. Still waiting as of today. My LTC expired a month ago so I'm 1/3rd of the way through my 'grace period'. What happens if they don't get my LTC done before the grace period expires? Do they come kick in my door on a no-knock, shoot my dog and make me a felon?

Sounds familiar. My wife is in the process of trying to get a federal background check going and TWICE her ink fingerprint cards have been kicked back from the FBI as insufficient.

Now she's going to have them done in a neighboring town with more crime in the hope that the officers there have more experience fingerprinting people.

And if that fails, tell them to clean the glass before scanning them next time. I swear that this was the problem some years ago at MSP where FBI was bouncing ~1/3 of submitted prints for LTCs!! [It happened to my Wife back then. I saw the prints being taken spoke with the officer when she went for "take 2" and both of us said that there was nothing at all wrong with the first set of prints!]

I had my "interview" in Wakefield on 5/21, no appointment necessary, and not a single question asked during the process, simply a paperwork formality. Finally received my license today, no restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom