• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Just found this info.....

Retrieving License PINs from DCJIS
Constituents can now retrieve the PIN number for their active license to carry (LTC), firearms
identification (FID) card, or machine gun license by phone through the DCJIS. The following information
is required:
• Name
• Date of birth
• Active LTC, FID card, or machine gun license number
• Driver’s license number (for identity verification)4 - January 2013

Constituents can also retrieve the status of the firearms license applications they have submitted to their
local police department. The following information is required:
• Name
• Date of birth
• Active LTC, FID card, or machine gun license number
• Driver’s license number (for identity verification)
Inquiries regarding application status or PIN numbers can be made by calling 617.660.4722, Monday
through Friday from 8:00am to 6:00pm. All other questions or inquiries should be directed to the Firearms
Records Bureau at 617.660.4782.

Called the FRB at the inquiry number, the guy said it was mailed out. He said local PD may be holding it until close to the renewal date..
I asked why they would do that if it expires this weekend?? No answer to that, just said maybe they will call Monday. Just thanked him and hung up.
He is probably stuffing it in an envelope right now.

Will give my local PD a call in the morning. I know my town is not a BS town on the licenses. My neighbor applied for his renewal last summer, a full year before expiration, and had it within 3 weeks.

Thankfully I won't need it, called this afternoon and license is there. Never got a call from them.
Must been sitting on the dispatchers desk. Initially told me not to worry, grace period, etc.
Then, only took him 10 seconds to find it after I mentioned FRB said it was sent out.

Andover LTC ?

Posting for a friend.
if any of you have applied for a new LTC in Andover this year, how long did it take?
Restrictions?
Advice?

Thanks

I just called FRB and he told me that my application is still pending background check by licensing authority...since May 21. So it still sits in Waltham PD for more than 2 months. WTF!

Submitted my unrestricted renewal in Norwood on 6/25/2013 (it was issued in a different town originally). Prints taken on 7/1/2013. LTC waiting for me to pick up at the Station today (7/26/2013). Not too bad.

Its now a 4.5-5 month wait at the state level. our department's process is done by the time you walk out the door. Total bullshit.

And BTW: "Pending local review by PD" is not true either, the state is using that status to try and deflect the blame

Last edited:
Its now a 4.5-5 month wait at the state level. our department's process is done by the time you walk out the door. Total bullshit.

And BTW: "Pending local review by PD" is not true either, the state is using that status to try and deflect the blame

It seems so odd that some can take less than a month and others 4-5 months. There just does not seem to be any reason to it.

It seems so odd that some can take less than a month and others 4-5 months. There just does not seem to be any reason to it.

Its the state imposing a system that they don't have the resources to handle. I dont have an explanation for whatever is happening at a state level, but that is the official word. 2.5-3 month delay for fingerprints and 1.5-2 months for license printing and return. Everyone is calling all pissed off because of the "Pending local review by PD" status that they are inappropriately using. Provided you don't have a mandatory dis-qualifier, our department is done with our end within the hour.

Its the state imposing a system that they don't have the resources to handle. I dont have an explanation for whatever is happening at a state level, but that is the official word. 2.5-3 month delay for fingerprints and 1.5-2 months for license printing and return. Everyone is calling all pissed off because of the "Pending local review by PD" status that they are inappropriately using. Provided you don't have a mandatory dis-qualifier, our department is done with our end within the hour.

Is it only the lack of resources, or is it something more, something that should alarm us ???

Last edited:
just means your local pd is waiting for the state to get back on prints and background. not your local pd issue. state is the delay. see fbirdquik6 posts.

Beverly-

It's now been 3 months to the day and my app is still pending review at local PD. How can they possibly claim the backup is at the state level?

What you don't realize is that "Pending Review by LO" means your PD is waiting for your mental health & fingerprints check to come back from their respective agencies...

Its the state imposing a system that they don't have the resources to handle. I dont have an explanation for whatever is happening at a state level, but that is the official word. 2.5-3 month delay for fingerprints and 1.5-2 months for license printing and return.

1.5-2 months for license printing and return is incorrect, it's only taking about 2 weeks right now, prints are taking 2.5-3 months and as is well documented in this thread come back in random order with no rhyme or reason

Everyone is calling all pissed off because of the "Pending local review by PD" status that they are inappropriately using. Provided you don't have a mandatory dis-qualifier, our department is done with our end within the hour.

Unfortunately there are only a few options in MIRCS for what your application can be listed as..."Waiting for the state" is not one of those options so this is again why it will show pending review until your prints come back from MSP

It is also three different state agencies involved in the process. DMH, MSP & FRB...see my post above for what pending local review menas

<sigh> We are whistling in the wind. I posted a Sticky with all the steps in the procedure as relayed to me by Jason Guida when he was Director of FRB. You have posted your info as well . . . and we still have folks daily who will believe what they want to believe! [rolleyes]

I give up!

<sigh> We are whistling in the wind. I posted a Sticky with all the steps in the procedure as relayed to me by Jason Guida when he was Director of FRB. You have posted your info as well . . . and we still have folks daily who will believe what they want to believe! [rolleyes]

I give up!
You're right...I really should just stop reading this thread...

I give up!

The thread you made was very helpful, IMHO I think the times for the checks are getting longer, and as we all know we get no straight answers from the state at any stop in this process.

Three of us in my family applied on the same day one right after the other, it has been 79 days now, we all have called and the hot line says waiting for the PPD, I knew it was going to be a wait so I am pretty cool right now, I don't know how I will be come mid way through August, cause at that point the your getting screwed factor will start to surface.

Tim ~ [grin]

- - - Updated - - -

You're right...I really should just stop reading this thread...

Your posts and encouragement is very helpful in this process, keep up the good work.

Tim ~ [thumbsup]

.... Of course mine expired during that time and I was told not to carry on expired while in renewal process.
I carried for over 90 days after my LTC expired earlier this year. So the state is going to go after me because the Boston PD can't comply with the law even when I start the process 9 weeks before my LTC actually expires? Bring it. [devil2]

Its the state imposing a system that they don't have the resources to handle. ...
But they don't really see it as being a problem because issuing a license is just another regulatory process. It's not like your rights are being violated.

*Another Update* Just called FRB, they say license was approved on the 23rd of July, now I just have to wait for them to activate it. Which is good because I put a down payment on a M&P 40. If you know anyone that has to start the process of getting a license, just let them know it is going to take some time, at least 4-5 months. Have a good day!

Went to the police station today to inquire about my LTC, I was told by the officer at the deck ( he was nice) that is has been taking three to four months even for police officers, it was suggested I lay low and not stir up things cause it is a very touchy subject, that didn't surprise me at all, I can tell that just by the way this whole process has been going, I feel like hiding under a house cause I'm the criminal here asking for a LTC.

Like I have said it hasn't been even three months yet so I am ok with the time as it is now, my thing is lack of real info from any source and the way the system is set up to handle these applications, I do get the feeling from all my inquiries that it is not my local PD but those that run the State checks that are screwing this up, at some point shit has got to spill over and start interfering with the state itself, I am sure all the States Police departments are not very happy about the wait either.

IMHO

Tim ~

I am sure all the States Police departments are not very happy about the wait either.

I can tell you for a fact that numerous PDs are very unhappy with that situation, but there isn't anything that they can do either. They feel like the meat in the sandwich getting pushed by both sides (applicant and state). And the fact that the background checks seem to come back randomly . . . some a few weeks, others 3-4 months . . . aggravates them even more.

Back
Top Bottom