• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Does anybody understand the process once the application leaves our hands? The cop who interviewed me (nice guy in a green town) made it sound like the town gave a thumbs up, and then it was up to the state to give final approval, which is the time consuming part, especially now given recent events and a massive push for permits. So it sounds I can't really follow up with the town since they're waiting on the state. I interviewed on Feb 8, and the check was cashed within a week. I realize it's too early to do anything but wait, but the variation in times posted here makes me wonder how the process works. I had resigned myself to wait through the first week of April before getting itchy, but perhaps it could be sooner?

Tomorrow is 1 month since everything was completed in my town (Millbury) nothing yet...looks like the check was cashed at around 2 weeks....from what i hear the turnaround time is 3-5 weeks...i feel fortunate to be from a relatively "quick" town....now the question is do i start eagerly checking the mailbox, or wait another week? Haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Does anybody understand the process once the application leaves our hands? The cop who interviewed me (nice guy in a green town) made it sound like the town gave a thumbs up, and then it was up to the state to give final approval, which is the time consuming part, especially now given recent events and a massive push for permits. So it sounds I can't really follow up with the town since they're waiting on the state. I interviewed on Feb 8, and the check was cashed within a week. I realize it's too early to do anything but wait, but the variation in times posted here makes me wonder how the process works. I had resigned myself to wait through the first week of April before getting itchy, but perhaps it could be sooner?

I don't think anyone really understands the process. But if you look in the Stickies in this subforum, you will find a thread with the alleged process as laid out by the former Director of FRB.

When was everyones check cashed? I went for my interview on Feb 6th and my check was cashed Feb 21st.

PDs do NOT cash/deposit checks. That is the sole responsibility of the City/Town Treasurer! Some PDs sit on piles of checks while others send them to the Treasurer daily. Some Treasurers may make deposits daily while others may be less frequent. None of this has any bearing on the licensing process itself.

Good luck to all of you but I'm afraid you can only gauge delays by what the PD tells you and by the experiences of others in the SAME (only) town.

My understanding is that it's OKAY to call the Firearm Reg Bureau and check on the status? Last thing I want to do is ruffle feathers and piss people off trying to get my LTC with no restrictions....

The lady at the PD told me she would be glad to answer any questions not related to how long or what the status of my application currently is, which was understandable considering the stack of apps she had.

mailed application today mar 5 2013 to methuen pd per their instructions on website. hopefully hear back soon for interview

80 days in from Wilmington. Called the LO 3 times and 1 face to face visit. He blames the state police for the hold up. Who knows at this point, getting very impatient and discouraged at this point.

Just called the FRB to check on the status of my application. Very friendly gentlemen answered the phone, I told him my interview was Feb 6th. He said my data was entered into the system Feb 7th and has 'seen no movement since then on their end'. So sounds like the PD is holding this up where I applied, or could be waiting on MSP response/DMH check? Either way, I'm glad to see I was at least entered into the system.

Last edited:
Just called the FRB to check on the status of my application. Very friendly gentlemen answered the phone, I told him my interview was Feb 6th. He said my data was entered into the system Feb 7th and has 'seen no movement since then on their end'. So sounds like the PD is holding this up where I applied, or could be waiting on MSP response/DMH check? Either way, I'm glad to see I was at least entered into the system.

I called the FRB once a week for 7 weeks before the status changed from pending to approved. This status change just occurred yesterday. I turned in my paperwork first week of January, a week later was fingerprinted (2nd week of Jan).

Just waiting on the printed version to make it to my local PD.

My wife and I had our interviews today. Went pretty smoothly, though the woman doing our paperwork said it could be three months. Hopefully it isn't that long. Our town is green, so I don't think we'll have any troubles other than the wait.

Went for interview, prints and photos on dec.21. Kept calling the frb and it was finally activated in the system on feb.11th. Received a call from the pd last tuesday saying that they received the envelope from the state frb , BUT it was torn and my ltc was missing, so i now have to wait for it to be reissued .will update when i finally receive it.Woburn.

Went for interview, prints and photos on dec.21. Kept calling the frb and it was finally activated in the system on feb.11th. Received a call from the pd last tuesday saying that they received the envelope from the state frb , BUT it was torn and my ltc was missing, so i now have to wait for it to be reissued .will update when i finally receive it.Woburn.

Damn that's rough...I'm sorry to hear that

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I know you must be bummed, so sorry to hear that happened to ya.

Tim[sad2]

10/1 - Called for appointment to submit application
12/4 - Submitted application
2/15 - Picked up LTC-A No Restrictions

Worcester

Picked up my wife's First LTC-A yesterday - no restrictions. Same timeline except hers took a couple more weeks because my prints were in the system from years ago. I have to say that everyone I dealt with in the licensing dept. at WPD was very nice. I think I spoke with each of them at some point during the process. They were all very helpful, pleasant, and we had a few laughs during some off-topic conversation.

Did WPD get a new chief? Seems there are quite a few Class A's NR being issued! :)

We got a new chief about a year ago, but when i went for the interview ii was led to beleive that they will only issue unrestricted if you are a bussiness owner. Ill check back in when mine actually arrives And let everyone know how it turns out

I cannot find the frb phone number, can someone repost it please? I scheduled and interview for March 5th, on january 14, interview went smooth, the lady said I should have my ltc in mid May, 4 months if it's true. Lynn, green town

Last edited:
I cannot find the frb phone number, can someone repost it please? I scheduled and interview for March 5th, on january 14, interview went smooth, the lady said I should have my ltc in mid May, 4 months if it's true.

From this Post http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...guide-gun-rights-your-massachusetts-town.html

FIREARM APPLICATION STATUS INFO

You can now retrieve the status of the firearms license application you’ve submitted to your local police department through the DCJIS by calling (617) 660-4722 during the normal business hours of Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

The following information is required:
• Name
• Date of birth
• Active LTC, FID card, or machine gun license number
• Driver’s license number (for identity verification)

I called today and they told me my application hasn't been looked at yet, I applied and interviewed Jan 17th, ill try again at the end of the month which would make 10 weeks.

I called today and they told me my application hasn't been looked at yet, I applied and interviewed Jan 17th, ill try again at the end of the month which would make 10 weeks.

dude that sucks. It took frb 7 weeks before they recived my application. Buton the good side it only took them 6 days to get it authorized and sent back to my local pd, he had it for a fews days before he mailed it. Took a week once they mailed it!

Anyone get a ltc in Dighton lately. I had my interview in September, still haven't heard anything. I called several times they said , still nothing will call you when it comes in.

Anyone get a ltc in Dighton lately. I had my interview in September, still haven't heard anything. I called several times they said , still nothing will call you when it comes in.

John, after 6 months, I'd be making calls but it wouldn't be to the PD! [thinking]

The PD would be getting calls from the selectmen/town manager/state rep asking what's going on if it were me.

Good luck!

Im in a red town took the almost exact 4 months but would not be calling,im sure the local pd has enough to deal with. I for one think they would be a aggravated from all the calls they may get on a daily basis. for sure..... If it went 6 months i would be starting to worry tthough... call the state. my 2c

Long time lurker, first time poster. I was interviewed 02/07/2013 for LTC-A in Haverhill and just found out by calling DCJIS that it was approved by PD. They state it will take 2 weeks to print and send back.

They could not provide any information on restrictions so I am wondering if Haverhill is still known as an either approved or not City? Is Haverhill known for restrictions?

Det. Corthell was a pleasure to deal with and he seems to really believe in our 2nd amendment. My wife is going March 19th.

So the process for Plainville, MA is to drop off your application and then wait for them to call you to come in for your "interview". When I dropped it off I was told it would be 1-2 weeks before I got a call. After 3 weeks and no call I gave them a ring and found out that their camera was broken for the past two weeks but just got fixed. No time table offered.

Tomorrow marks 6 weeks since I dropped off my application. I have an urge to call again and check on things but I also don't want to piss off the sgt that does it. I'm interested in what people think about when I should call and if there is anything I can do except sit around.

update on methuen:

1. application mailed mar 5th
2. methuen pd called to schedule appointment mar 8th- date set for mar 15th
3. went in to interview this morning- absolutely painless. picture and prints taken, signed printed application, was in and out in about 20 minutes. officer said it will take "8-10 weeks, maybe longer" to get LTC paperwork through, approved and permit sent back to methuen pd for pick up"

the waiting game begins

Back
Top Bottom