• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

I wasn't going to push the issue because I didn't want to risk getting slapped with a restricted license.

That's exactly how I felt, which is obviously one of the problems with having this subjective judging system.

All together my process took about 3 1/2 months as well and I only politely nudged my local PD a couple times. Finally after the second or third call, the Lt. in charge made an appointment for that night.

It's too bad that we're put in a position to feel meek about exercising our rights; hardly the system Hancock or Adams had in mind and THEY were from Massachusetts...

It may have been DMH, but I doubt that the delay was caused by anything other than your PD.

Has the law changed or did I misread it? My impression was that DMH couldn't cause any delays, since the law doesn't require either the state police or the local licensing authority to wait for a response from them. If the state police don't respond within 30 days, then regardless of any action or lack of action by DMH, it's the state police's fault. If the local licensing authority doesn't issue or deny within 40 days, then regardless of any action or lack of action by the state police or DMH, it's their fault. IOW, regardless of what anybody else does or doesn't do, any time it takes more than 40 days to get a decision on your application, it's always your local PD's fault. (Not saying that that solves your problem, but it might indicate where the application of subtle pressure might be appropriate.)

Ken

Has the law changed or did I misread it? My impression was that DMH couldn't cause any delays, since the law doesn't require either the state police or the local licensing authority to wait for a response from them. If the state police don't respond within 30 days, then regardless of any action or lack of action by DMH, it's the state police's fault. If the local licensing authority doesn't issue or deny within 40 days, then regardless of any action or lack of action by the state police or DMH, it's their fault.

That is a correct statement of the law. However, certain towns will wait for DMH, certain that the applicant won't even know of, still less challenge, that procedure; they are equally sure that they can defend the practice if challenged. I have received unredacted DMH reports from two towns; names, SS numbers, etc. I redacted the info when I used the documents as evidence of the PD's shoddy licensing practices.

I often feel compelled to report that it took FIVE MONTHS for me to receive my LTC after submitting the application. There, I did it again.

Let's just say, I felt that if I'd pestered the COP about it, the rear of his desk drawer might not see daylight any sooner.

Then again, announcing that CHSB had issued the LTC x days/weeks/months prior may have alerted him to the fact that you had both knowledge and vertebrae......

Then again, announcing that CHSB had issued the LTC x days/weeks/months prior may have alerted him to the fact that you had both knowledge and vertebrae......

The guy's a PT COP with a FFL. His knowledge of the process was not in question. I could guess that he prefers to know a bit about the persons he's being tasked with issuing a LTC-A ALP to. We'd only been residents for a couple of months when we submitted our apps.

The guy's a PT COP with a FFL. His knowledge of the process was not in question. I could guess that he prefers to know a bit about the persons he's being tasked with issuing a LTC-A ALP to. We'd only been residents for a couple of months when we submitted our apps.

HIS knowledge of the process was not the point. YOUR knowledge of HIS sitting on your application was the point.

It's true that an application must be approved or rejected by the State within 30 days of being submitted, but that's 30 days from when it's officially submitted, by your local PD. Unless you send your app and paperwork to the locals via certified mail you have no way to prove how long it takes to get out of your town (i.e past the first round). It can sit almost indefinitely on a local officer's desk with no clock ticking and there's little you or I can do aside from calling and pleasantly nudging it along.

There is (I believe) a week or two time limit from when your app is submitted locally, but even that has a loophle; it's not fully "submitted" until they've taken your mugshot and fingerprints. That's where my several week delay happened.

It's true that an application must be approved or rejected by the State within 30 days of being submitted, but that's 30 days from when it's officially submitted, by your local PD.

Wrong. It's 40 days from when the licensing authority (read: Local PD) receives the application.

Unless you send your app and paperwork to the locals via certified mail you have no way to prove how long it takes to get out of your town (i.e past the first round).

Really? Getting a copy of the application date-stamped, getting a copy of the MIRCS application, or even the date written on your check would seem to provide evidence of the date of receipt.

Note also that some PD's require the applicant to submit the app in person.

It can sit almost indefinitely on a local officer's desk with no clock ticking and there's little you or I can do aside from calling and pleasantly nudging it along.

Wrong again. After forty days elapse, the app is deemed denied and that denial can be appealed accordingly.

There is (I believe) a week or two time limit from when your app is submitted locally, but even that has a loophle; it's not fully "submitted" until they've taken your mugshot and fingerprints. That's where my several week delay happened.

Wrong, completing the totality of your errors. There is a ONE-week requirement from the receipt of the app for the submission of prints to the State Police (AFIS). The "mugshot" is part of the MIRCS process.

Thanks for so thoroughly correcting me Scrivener.

I should never have posted so much without more completely checking my facts beforehand and I should know better. For putting out inaccurate info and undercutting the effectiveness of this forum, I apologize. However, in the interest of defending the point of what I was saying...

Getting something date stamped by the officer taking the application, who in my town has nothing to do with nor any clue about the process, seems unrealistic to difficult. Kudos to anyone who has the wherewithall to think to do so. And the date written on the check only proves when you wrote it, not when you gave it to anybody. Also at this point nothings been submitted to MIRCS so there's nothing to track that way. Sending the app by certified mail was actually a suggestion I got from someone I spoke with at GOAL.

I think you also misunderstood some of what I was saying. My whole point was that there are dead spots in the system that allow apps to just sit. Just giving the filled out paperwork and check and safety cert to the officer at the front desk doesn't start the 1 week clock ticking. Essentially the app isn't received until the locals say it's received which is ALWAYS going to be within one week of when they take prints and shots and then of course they're gonna send everything right along, all the work's been done at that point.

In my case, and seemingly in several others in this thread, there was a wait of several weeks just for our apps to be considered "submitted" while we waited for our turn to be interviewed or printed or whatever else.

If I'm reading your post correctly (and in accordance with the spirit of the law) the entire process should take no more than about a month and half at the most. Clearly that's not what's happening though.

Finally, completing the totality of my explanation, in my town the prints and mugshot are taken together regardless of which level of the background check requires them.

Also, you forgot "No soup for me!"

Last edited:
Getting something date stamped by the officer taking the application, who in my town has nothing to do with nor any clue about the process, seems unrealistic to difficult. Kudos to anyone who has the wherewithall to think to do so.

Acknowledged. I have seen it done, however.

And the date written on the check only proves when you wrote it, not when you gave it to anybody. Also at this point nothings been submitted to MIRCS so there's nothing to track that way. Sending the app by certified mail was actually a suggestion I got from someone I spoke with at GOAL.

The date on the check is indicative of when written, but not absolute proof. IF the check was cashed in a reasonable period of time (not all are), you would receive the check back, with the processing dates on the reverse. That IS proof.

I think you also misunderstood some of what I was saying. My whole point was that there are dead spots in the system that allow apps to just sit. Just giving the filled out paperwork and check and safety cert to the officer at the front desk doesn't start the 1 week clock ticking.

Wrong. Did the PD take the app? If "Yes," it was received. Period.

Essentially the app isn't received until the locals say it's received which is ALWAYS going to be within one week of when they take prints and shots and then of course they're gonna send everything right along, all the work's been done at that point.

See above.

If I'm reading your post correctly (and in accordance with the spirit of the law) the entire process should take no more than about a month and half at the most. Clearly that's not what's happening though.

True. Which is why getting the truth means contacting CHSB, not the obstructionist sitting on the app.

It's cold and it's Christmas. ONE bowl of soup for you.

Last edited:
NEVER BACK DOWN!

Thanks for so thoroughly correcting me Scrivener.

I should never have posted so much without more completely checking my facts beforehand and I should know better. For putting out inaccurate info and undercutting the effectiveness of this forum, I apologize. However, in the interest of defending the point of what I was saying...

Getting something date stamped by the officer taking the application, who in my town has nothing to do with nor any clue about the process, seems unrealistic to difficult. Kudos to anyone who has the wherewithall to think to do so. And the date written on the check only proves when you wrote it, not when you gave it to anybody. Also at this point nothings been submitted to MIRCS so there's nothing to track that way. Sending the app by certified mail was actually a suggestion I got from someone I spoke with at GOAL.

I think you also misunderstood some of what I was saying. My whole point was that there are dead spots in the system that allow apps to just sit. Just giving the filled out paperwork and check and safety cert to the officer at the front desk doesn't start the 1 week clock ticking. Essentially the app isn't received until the locals say it's received which is ALWAYS going to be within one week of when they take prints and shots and then of course they're gonna send everything right along, all the work's been done at that point.

In my case, and seemingly in several others in this thread, there was a wait of several weeks just for our apps to be considered "submitted" while we waited for our turn to be interviewed or printed or whatever else.

Finally, completing the totality of my explanation, in my town the prints and mugshot are taken together regardless of which level of the background check requires them.

Also, you forgot "No soup for me!"

Quincy

+/- 6 weeks

LTC Class A
Restrictions - None

No complaints with the process, it was a pleasant experience.

Back
Top Bottom