• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Newton, MA moving twords a black town?

Newton, MA may be moving to black. I had my interview a couple days ago and was told to write a letter explaning an incident that I got CWOF when I was 15 (suitability). I contacted Darius and Jesse and am now awaiting legal counsel.

Last edited:
I remember many years ago when I had renewed mine close to the expiration date. In the mean time, I had moved to a different town and renewed through them. Waited, waited and WAITED MONTHS, 6 to be exact. Continued to hunt anyway on the expired license (hey I did MY job) Not to mention that I had called every other day on it.

Finally I get a call... my license had been mailed to the OLD police department under my prior address. They weren't sure where I was and it had taken them that long to forward to new town.

Point being?
No one reads half the shit anyway

Finally I get a call... my license had been mailed to the OLD police department under my prior address.

Had you sent your change of address notices as required by C. 140 § 131(l)? My suspicion is either you didn't send them, or the state didn't process it, and the license was automatically mailed to the town listed for you in their database.

LTC has arrived!

Just got off the phone with my PD. Postcard was send two days ago. License is ready to pick up!! 43 Days in Shrewsbury. The whole experience was an excellant one. PD was very professional through and through!

Wooooo Hooooo! Time to prepare the shopping the list and ensuing poverty!

[party]

Newton, MA may be moving to black. I had my interview a couple days ago and was told to write a letter explaning an incident that I got CWOF when I was 15 (suitability). I contacted Darius and Jesse and am now awaiting legal counsel.

that doesnt constitute being black. a black town is a town that usually will not issue LTCA for the first time (or at all), they instead stick you with LTCB or FID.
Explaining a CWOF has nothing to do with town color.

my mistake, I just thought that explaining a CWOF from more than 17 years ago when I was 15 was a litlle.......excessive....almost fishing for a reason to deny.

I'm in Weston and its been six weeks so far. They just got the state police check back but the secretary said to check back in a week because they wanted to do "their own back round check". The application process was painless and was quick. "Class A no problem, she even told me my number. The waiting and the what if is killing me though. I think I may go in person next Tuesday.

I'm in Weston and its been six weeks so far. They just got the state police check back but the secretary said to check back in a week because they wanted to do "their own back round check". The application process was painless and was quick. "Class A no problem, she even told me my number. The waiting and the what if is killing me though. I think I may go in person next Tuesday.

did she tell you what restrictions you would have on your permit??

assuming the mailman doesn't lose it I should get it tomorrow. that's 4 weeks to the day from when i took the moon island test. 4 weeks 1 day from paper application.

Got it today (5/7/09 which is 4 weeks and 2 days from application (4w+1d from moon island))

LTC-A restricted

as a side-note: as long as you're polite it doesn't hurt to call. I was confused 'cause somebody from Boston who applied after me got theirs before me so I called to confirm that there were no problems with my application. The woman on the phone told me there were no problems but it hadn't been approved yet. I said thanks and hung up. 30 minutes later I get a phone call and she said they were going to mail it today. sweeeet.

Last edited:
almost 7 weeks now here in saugus, everytime i call the PD no one can take my call, ive left 2 voice mails and received no call back. i called the CHSB and they told me the police havent sent it to them yet.

this is pretty much unacceptable. the guy at the CHSB even told me everything is electronic. he said all the police literally have to do is press 'enter' on the computer. so obviously no one has even touched my app in 7 weeks.

I applied March 24th in Fall River. The detective told me 6 to 8 weeks. Yesterday the City deposited my check for the application fee so hopefully it will be in soon. I applied for LTC - A ALP.

Last edited:
Going on 7 weeks in Newton, Ma. on the bright side I still haven't got a denial letter. I figure worse case I can still go back if denied and get my FID until I move to N.H. in 6 years (no disqualifiers on my record). I'll be able to build one sweet remmington 700 with all the money I saved for an AR and some pistols. Can't believe I just said that...I'm not usualy one to look on the brighter side. I just think fighting a suitability claim would be pretty damn expensive if it were to come to that.

My friend applied in Waltham on 7th of April it was issued on 13th. They never called him to tell him it was ok to come pick it up. He called yesterday just to check and they told him it was in and could be picked up in person. Per him their policy is not to mail and all FID's had to be picked up in person.

He said there must have been 20 FID's not picked up yet. If you know someone in who applied in Waltham have them call or better yet go in person.

Was was issued a LTC class A restricted, there was some confusion at first if he was going to get a class B restricted.

Last edited:
My friend applied in Waltham on 7th of April it was issued on 13th. They never called him to tell him it was ok to come pick it up. He called yesterday just to check and they told him it was in and could be picked up in person. Per him their policy is not to mail and all FID's had to be picked up in person.

He said there must have been 20 FID's not picked up yet. If you know someone in who applied in Waltham have them call or better yet go in person.

Was was issued a LTC class A restricted, there was some confusion at first if he was going to get a class B restricted.

This makes me nervous. My dad applied 3/17 and has checked in a couple of times, still no license. His most recent check was Mon, 5/3. He was told there were a lot of new licenses on the Chiefs desk...hopefully, my dads and this kids were in that pile and they have since made it to the basket, waiting to be picked up.
If for some reason he was denied, would the letter be mailed to the PD or to my dad?

This makes me nervous. My dad applied 3/17 and has checked in a couple of times, still no license. His most recent check was Mon, 5/3. He was told there were a lot of new licenses on the Chiefs desk...hopefully, my dads and this kids were in that pile and they have since made it to the basket, waiting to be picked up.
If for some reason he was denied, would the letter be mailed to the PD or to my dad?

It is up to the department, not CHSB to approve/deny/restrict, etc. So if he was denied the PD would know it and should have said something at the point they made this determination. As far as the LTC, it seems each department does whatever they want in distributing them. My suggestion - have him keep calling/stopping in if they're not known to mail them out as they come in.

Possible sticky??

Maybe if the Mod Gods are kind, they could make this thread a sticky, with how many people are adding to this one. I think with everyones help posting their info, it has turned into something really good for research. Thanks for keeping this thread alive!!! [smile]

LTC - Melrose

It took 33 days to receive an LTC A (unrestricted) in Melrose. I had to pick up my license at the station. The officer was very friendly and helpful. He said they run a national background check and conduct some other research before inviting you in for an interview and to collect fingerprints (~ 10 minutes). It took less than a week to receive the license after the interview. I included a lot of background information (on the advice of counsel) - 2 letters of recommendations, a brief explanation as to why I was requesting an unrestricted license, and background checks from previous states of residence. The Officer said that prospective applicants should include *any relevant* paperwork to help them make a decision (i.e., copies of out-of-state sealed records and/or associate court paperwork) otherwise the State Police would likely reject the application. At the very least, failing to include relevant documentation would significantly delay a decision. Best of luck. -MS

Submitted mine to the Winchester PD 5 weeks ago yesterday, no word yet.

They do things similar to Melrose sounds like. When I submitted my app they didn't want the course certificate or the $100.00 fee just the application itself.

The detective was helpful, he explained that they do the background first; once that comes back OK they'll call me in for the certificate, $100, finger prints, and photos. They make the appointment with the chief at that time also.

Back
Top Bottom