1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Laws' started by Doc Holiday, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

Any update Shayne? You had quite a wait.

2. Billsail

Billsail NES Member

There is no more LTC B going forward. All new applications or renewals are LTC A, FID, or denial.

Unfortunately restricted licenses may still be issued.

3. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Actually a year or more after LTC-B was supposed to go away, I remember Comm2A reporting that 1 such LTC-B was issued that year by a town. No idea why/what but just because something isn't supposed to be done per MGL doesn't mean it won't happen. I suspect until the MIRCS software was updated to delete the B, someone could still select that option when processing an applicant.

Horrible likes this.
  4. Billsail

Billsail NES Member

Jeez. [angry]

Horrible likes this.
  5. Horrible

Horrible NES Member

That is what I thought too. Know someone in Weymouth that is nervous about his renewal this spring. He said something on the app says that unless you have a good reason for LTC-A (which he has), one will be denied. I told him that the LTC-B was legislated out of existence four years ago!

I haven’t been able to download their app to confirm. He may be confusing denial with restrictions. Have to do more digging but if he is correct, that is messed up!

6. djbradles

djbradles NES Member

Unrestricted LTC in 40 days exactly from the appt date in Worcester

7. SpringShield

SpringShield

Agawam - Filed for my LTC at PD on July 23rd, received at PD November 1st

So, just over 3 months/100 days.

8. Spongerob

Spongerob

Worcester - Filed for my LTC at the police station on September 13th and received on Nov 5th. First-time license. Pretty straight forward.

djbradles likes this.
  9. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

Wareham 9 weeks for a renewal.

dannyk45 likes this.
  10. buketduder

buketduder

Northampton...first time app...22 days. said they only issue for ALP. .no questions... friendly

RHJJ likes this.
  11. DarthRevan

DarthRevan NES Member

Applied 9/11 in Lynn, Approved 11/26, Printer is down with no estimate as to when they are sending out the LTCs to local departments... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Update: After 97 days since dropping off application, I was able to pick up my LTC.
    [angry2]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  12. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

Oh for the good old days. Here in Acton I would go to the PD (after calling and being told to come right down). Get printed for renewal, pics, and find the license in the mail box in a couple of days. Their policy was to mail it out and inform the state at the same time. Of course, this was all before MIRCS which is the shittiest thing ever to come down the pike. Jack.

13. vickers

vickers NES Member

LTC Renewal in Groveland was relatively quick.

10/24/18 afternoon Received Postcard from DCJIS about renewal (My LTC expires end of February 2019)
    10/24/18 9:01pm sent email to Groveland licensing officer asking about starting process
    10/24/18 9:03pm received response from Licensing officer instructing me to fill out application from PD website and drop at PD any time. She would call back for an appointment after the Chief reviews the application.
    10/26/18 dropped application at PD
    11/07/18 (approx.) got a call from LO to setup an appointment, which was set for 11/13/18.
    11/13/18 had a very short interview with LO which consisted of reviewing application for correctness, taking a new picture and that's it.
    12/11/18 had a voicemail from Groveland PD dispatch that my LTC was ready for pickup

14. IMHOTEP

IMHOTEP NES Member

The longest part for me was getting the appointment after I finished the safety class. I should have called and set that up a month before I took the class. I applied in Worcester.

03/21/18 Took the Mass Firearms Safety Class

06/21/18 Application Appointment at WPD took about 10 mins to turn in the paperwork, get photographed and fingerprinted. Had to do the fingerprints the old fashioned way with ink. #2 son applied about three weeks after me and they had the digital fingerprint machine installed. They were great, very friendly, handed me a slip telling me to call the week of Oct 14th to see if it was ready.

08/07/18 #3 son who had applied a few weeks before me got the call his was ready and I was in the area so I stopped in to pick it up for him and found out mine and #2 son's were ready as well. They gave me everyone's license and I delivered them.

Wifey applied in late October and she picked it up this week (Dec 18th).
    All of us at separate times with different officers found them all to be really great to deal with.
    Very very friendly.
    Easy as could be.

CatSnoutSoup and CAR like this.
  15. DarthRevan

DarthRevan NES Member

In the free world, they'd likely disagree with your definition of easy...
    Congrats on your LTC though!

16. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

Mine took about a month from interview to receiving the license. I’m in Concord.

CatSnoutSoup likes this.
  17. BryMan92

BryMan92

Hoping others can comment, too, but is it permissible to send someone else to collect the license?

18. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Technically it violates the privacy law C. 66 S. 10B, however I'm sure that most PDs wouldn't have a problem doing so for family members or if someone provided a letter of authorization. I'm not even sure how many PDs are aware of that privacy law . . . it was my town clerk who told me about it as she had to redact all LE, FFs, etc. info from publication in the town street lists.

19. IMHOTEP

IMHOTEP NES Member

Sons had called in to say it was Okay to give them to me.

The whole thing was comical-- I walked in and said I was picking up a license, the officer remembered me and handed me mine. Standing there surprised I said I was there for my son, and he pulled out #2 son's and said it was ready. I said I had yet another son who I was there for in the first place.

We have enough family resemblance that looking at the tiny pics he thought I was one of them first. We have the same last name, different addresses but there was no problem.

I'm glad they weren't idiots about protecting privacy. Those are my sons. They'll never have privacy from me. ;)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  20. Kenny978

Kenny978

Drop of app today to Lowell PD for ltc class a unrestricted
    12/24/18
    After 2 week wait for 10 minute finger print and sumit document they ask for.
    Let count begin

21. BarnBuilder

BarnBuilder NES Member

Renewal in Lancaster

10/26 Drop off application and Check also get picture taken
    12/27 Got a call to pick up at 9 am picked it up at 10 am
    9 weeks Easy Peezey

dannyk45 and Kenny978 like this.
  22. MassCarry

MassCarry NES Member

I'm in Worcester. It took 3 months just to schedule an appointment at the station and another 3 months to get my license.

23. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Hell, I had to show them my expired LTC to get my new LTC, as I needed to provide a picture ID. [laugh]

I'm about to start renewal, again. [rolleyes] We'll see how it goes. Fakaktaness will be reported as appropriate.

24. spuds45

spuds45

First time ltc applicant Barnstable.
    Dropped off paperwork and had photo, fingerprints etc. done on 10/23/18 called the hotline to check on the status the other day and my paperwork is still with the local pd pending my background check.

25. Matt2109

Matt2109 NES Life Member NES Member

Finally got it today..... 3.5 months!

26. Rehoboth Dave

Rehoboth Dave NES Member

Turned my paperwork in and got my picture taken at the Rehoboth PD back on October 10th. Got the call today to come pick up my renewed LTC. 92 days. They said the delay was because the state is backlogged.
    I also notice that the state has decided to put the suicide hotline and Samaritan phone numbers on the back. How thoughtful of them. I suspect it's because they believe that forcing people to go through the whole bureaucratic nightmare of licensing a constitutional right might possibly drive one to suicide.

IMHOTEP, Cipher and CatSnoutSoup like this.