• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Holbrook:
Emailed application to PD 11/4 contacted to schedule interview same day.
Interviewed and printed 11/7
Approved with DCJIS11/25
Activated 12/2
Ready for Pickup @ HPD 12/11
Picked up LTC-A unrestricted 12/12
34 Days and a great experience.

Wareham:
Applied- Early August, 2014
Fingerprinted/Interviewed- 9/9/14
Activated- 9/30/14
Received- 1/9/15

First Time Application, LTC-A ALP, early 20's.

The Police Department didn't bother notifying me that they had it. I even called after 90 days like they told me, and they apparently didn't have it.
Called the DCJIS number and was told it was active on 9/30, showed up in person today and they found it no problem. Not sure what went on there.

Chelmsford

Filed 11/20 at Chelmsford PD, wife and I.
Interview 12/1 with Ofc. Bellissimo, Chelmford PD
Wife's LTC-A received 12/22
My LTC-A received 1/7
No restrictions.

Jason Guida (our attorney) helped us to submit the paperwork (being cautious with some potential "blemishes" on my background from long ago). With all of the holidays in between, the turn around time by Chelmsford PD was great based on some of the reading about delays and such in MA.

Boston....

-Took firearm safety course in mid Oct.
-Scheduled "earliest" available appointment for app and meeting at Police HQ. Which was 12/15/14
-Moon Island test was taken on 12/19/14. Scored 268.
-LTC printed and mailed to BPD on 1/15/15.
-Still waiting. I've called BPD a few times to check...

Boston....

-Took firearm safety course in mid Oct.
-Scheduled "earliest" available appointment for app and meeting at Police HQ. Which was 12/15/14
-Moon Island test was taken on 12/19/14. Scored 268.
-LTC printed and mailed to BPD on 1/15/15.
-Still waiting. I've called BPD a few times to check...

Please let us know when you get it if you got restrictions.

I was put on the list for an interview, prints and photo...67 days later that process was completed. 78 days after the interview I called DCJIS on a Friday to check status. Approved Class A LTC (no restrictions) had been mail to Carver PD 14 days earlier. Called Carver PD the following Monday and was told it had arrived and would be ready for pick up by the end of the week. Picked it up on Friday. 85 days net, after interview...add 67 days to get the interview...152 days total start to finish.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. First post!

License: LTC-A
Town: Melrose
Safety course: Dec 6th
Sent in application: Dec 8th
Went in for picture: Dec 16th
Issued: Jan 14th (no restrictions)

No hassle in any sort of way - no interview, letter, etc. Happy with the Sargeant that controls the process in my town.

Last edited:
Not LTC-A but related to time and add on PD requirements so I thought I'd post (laying in bed getting over the flu).

5months Jr. turns 18 and applies for his FID. Need two references. OK, I'll (dad) be one. Who to be the other? I say to Jr., why not call your friend who is an officer on our local PD to be a reference.
As of 2013 town started requiring two letters of reference and letter explaining reason for wanting license.
The officer agrees, and said, put my name down as reference. If they want a letter they'll ask. Sure enough they made the officer write a reference letter.
Jr. also had fun writing a letter explaining the reason he was requesting his shall issue FID.

To keep with the spirit of the thread, it took 4 months.

Not LTC-A but related to time and add on PD requirements so I thought I'd post (laying in bed getting over the flu).

5months Jr. turns 18 and applies for his FID. Need two references. OK, I'll (dad) be one. Who to be the other? I say to Jr., why not call your friend who is an officer on our local PD to be a reference.
As of 2013 town started requiring two letters of reference and letter explaining reason for wanting license.
The officer agrees, and said, put my name down as reference. If they want a letter they'll ask. Sure enough they made the officer write a reference letter.
Jr. also had fun writing a letter explaining the reason he was requesting his shall issue FID.

To keep with the spirit of the thread, it took 4 months.

For an FID? Sheesh! What town?

Anyone got any idea on how long one can expect the PD to call back for interview in a c. 30,000 resident town (green, formerly red)? I dropped off my application and I'm waiting for a call back, let alone waiting for the interview itself.

What can one expect from the interview, anyway? I've had colleagues say they basically read the application back to them and have them verbally affirm/deny the statements.

Applied 11/24/15, was issued 1/15/15, picked it up on 1/26/15. Hunting and target restrictions in Springfield (surprise right?).

Contact Comm2A about restrictions. I believe they must provide you written reason as to why they issued YOU restrictions.

SirJohnnyMusic also ^^^

From the Comm2A site:

LTC Appeals12
The new law significantly expands grounds upon which an appeal can be filed. An applicant or license holder continues to have 90 days in which to file an appeal in district court following the denial, suspension or revocation of a license to carry13. Applicant can also appeal any restrictions on the LTC imposed by the licensing authority. Applicants are explicitly allowed to file an appeal when the licensing authority fails to act upon an application within the statutory 40 day requirement. While the district courts typically viewed a licensing authority’s failure to act on an application as a de facto denial, details such as submission date were not consistently applied by the courts.
The standard of review does not meaningfully change under the revised statute. A district court judge may overrule a licensing authority if the court determines there was no reasonable ground for suspending, revoking, denying, or restricting a license. As the language has not changed significantly, one can assume that the burden remains on the applicant to prove that the licensing authority acted in an arbitrary or capricious manner in denying, suspending, revoking or imposing restrictions on a license.

Last edited:
Anyone got any idea on how long one can expect the PD to call back for interview in a c. 30,000 resident town (green, formerly red)? I dropped off my application and I'm waiting for a call back, let alone waiting for the interview itself.

What can one expect from the interview, anyway? I've had colleagues say they basically read the application back to them and have them verbally affirm/deny the statements.

When did you 'drop off' you application and did you receive a receipt. If you don't have a license with 40 days of giving them your application, consider appealing your denial in district court.

When did you 'drop off' you application and did you receive a receipt. If you don't have a license with 40 days of giving them your application, consider appealing your denial in district court.

I handed in the paperwork just recently, I am awaiting a call for the interview/photograph/fingerprinting. I didn't receive a receipt; I asked if I should pay then or when they call and the officer said to pay later.

I'm just curious about a.) peoples' experiences in how long a call back takes to schedule an interview; b.) how long people have generally had to wait to get in front of a LO (such as in a comparable town) and c.) peoples' experience with the interview. Is "interview" even the proper term? My coworker in the next town (I know a different town can have huge ramifications) said the LO just read the questions on the application to him and had him verbally confirm what he wrote down, and engaged in some chit-chat.

Thanks for any info.

I handed in the paperwork just recently, I am awaiting a call for the interview/photograph/fingerprinting. I didn't receive a receipt; I asked if I should pay then or when they call and the officer said to pay later.

I'm just curious about a.) peoples' experiences in how long a call back takes to schedule an interview; b.) how long people have generally had to wait to get in front of a LO (such as in a comparable town) and c.) peoples' experience with the interview. Is "interview" even the proper term? My coworker in the next town (I know a different town can have huge ramifications) said the LO just read the questions on the application to him and had him verbally confirm what he wrote down, and engaged in some chit-chat.

Thanks for any info.

It varies so much that there is no "formula" or logic to it.

Some take you when you walk in, others sit on the paper for months and then call you in.

Some just go over the questions, others put you thru an interrogation like you were a criminal.

etc.

If you specify the town, someone from that town might be able to share info on how that town does it.

It varies so much that there is no "formula" or logic to it.

If you specify the town, someone from that town might be able to share info on how that town does it.

Thanks for the info. Based on the volume of licenses I've seen via statistical websites, it seems like there's a decent amount in the town.

Edit: received a receipt in the mail today, but no word on when fingerprinting/photo, etc. would be done.
Edit 2: Received call back. Fingerprinted, photographed, etc.

Last edited:
Wellfleet, MA
Applied 1/8/2015 evening after 5PM, with check written at time
Fingerprinted, photographed 2/8/2015 day after got the call
Told would take 3-4 months
Told next step is interview with chief if all goes well
Told would likely be 1-2 year restricted LTC-A as that's what Wellfleet does-up to chieff though said officer

I have no convictions, one and only arrest was for speeding (90 in a 25 in RI winter when younger). Only CWOF was for license suspension age 17 (2 in one week both CWOF). I gave a copy of my CORI, wrote up one felony charge that was no arrest, and was dismissed age 18 no trial.

Applied "for personal protection in and out of house, and for target and sport." Had a confusing chat with the firearm officer over LTC-A restricted 2/8/15, i thought that was gone after 1/1/2015 LTC-B and restrictions and asked to be rejected or approved LTC-A, then i asked what happens if carrying to a boat ramp at 4Am when i go commercial fishing? Officer Said thats legal-I said but thats not for target or sport? Officer was a little unclear. I said I am not clear either!? When talk to chief, I need to have this matter be more clear I guess....oxymoron MA. I am either suitable, or not. Not suitable some days for LTC but suitable other days only to/from hunting and target shooting?!

I think I would be a perfect appeal for LTC-A restrictions, post 1/1/2015 applied, and I plan to appeal if restricted. As I read things the COP has to place in writing the reasons for restrictions now...

The 40 day License thing has me wondering now...3-4 months?

(just joined northeast and paid membership!)

Wellfleet, MA
Applied 1/8/2015 evening after 5PM, with check written at time
Fingerprinted, photographed 2/8/2015 day after got the call
Told would take 3-4 months
Told next step is interview with chief if all goes well
Told would likely be 1-2 year restricted LTC-A as that's what Wellfleet does-up to chieff though said officer

I have no convictions, one and only arrest was for speeding (90 in a 25 in RI winter when younger). Only CWOF was for license suspension age 17 (2 in one week both CWOF). I gave a copy of my CORI, wrote up one felony charge that was no arrest, and was dismissed age 18 no trial.

Applied "for personal protection in and out of house, and for target and sport." Had a confusing chat with the firearm officer over LTC-A restricted 2/8/15, i thought that was gone after 1/1/2015 LTC-B and restrictions and asked to be rejected or approved LTC-A, then i asked what happens if carrying to a boat ramp at 4Am when i go commercial fishing? Officer Said thats legal-I said but thats not for target or sport? Officer was a little unclear. I said I am not clear either!? When talk to chief, I need to have this matter be more clear I guess....oxymoron MA. I am either suitable, or not. Not suitable some days for LTC but suitable other days only to/from hunting and target shooting?!

I think I would be a perfect appeal for LTC-A restrictions, post 1/1/2015 applied, and I plan to appeal if restricted. As I read things the COP has to place in writing the reasons for restrictions now...

The 40 day License thing has me wondering now...3-4 months?

(just joined northeast and paid membership!)
Check here, there is a lawsuit going on right now for your situation. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=273792

Back
Top Bottom