How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

A little surprised. Is Newton's deep red color, changing?

When I realized that I was still going to be living in Newton when it was time for me to renew, I started searching threads looking for people talking about renewing in Newton to see what their experiences had been . I reached out to two guys here - one that got an unrestricted on renewal, and another guy who got issued a restricted license as a new applicant, but was told to come back after a year to get the restrictions removed. So that gave me some hope.
Newton PD also appears (potentially, maybe) to be easing the process somewhat, because when I showed up for my interview with my two letters of reference and my written request to have my restrictions removed, the detective that handles the LTCs got a puzzled look on her face and said that I must have been sent an old renewal packet. I actually never received a packet from them; I was just going off of the list of requirements that are posted to the PD's website.

Beginning to lose hope this will ever happen.

Applied 7/31 Medway
9/12 DC issues license
9/25 Call town, don't have it yet
10/10 Stop by station, they still don't have it, they look into it, state the system indicates it is printing and I need to keep waiting.
I call the DC back to inquire why I have conflicting info, get sent to Firearm Bureau, they see it was printed 9/16 at 11:15pm and mailed 9/17, I ask why the Chief sees it as printing, state the chief doesn't have access to this info. It is beyond my comprehension why they don't have access to this. They state the chief should have it by now and it needs to be reissued, status needs to be changed to lost/stolen. The chief needs to do this, so I have to tell the chief what to do, like this is going to go well.

I stop by the station again today, dispatcher (Get the same song and dance about these things take time and the DC is always giving the wrong info), less than happy to see me again, inform them I have new info they don't have and that they can't see it in the system and the status needs to be changed. You can guess how this sounds. I asked for a call back when the chief looks into this again. Hoping they actually do something about this and call me to confirm they indeed listed it as lost.

So I am stuck in limbo between a town that really doesn't seem very interested if I ever get my license and an agency that can not seem to communicate properly with the town.

Maybe in month I'll have another pointless update.

My wife just received hers in Worcester. No restrictions and the issue date is 28 days from when she put in the application. Not sure how relevant the issue date is as far as when the PD actually received it.

Well I finally have my LTC

Medway
LTC A Unrestricted

To sum up the long story

Applied 7/31 Medway
9/12 DC issues license
9/????? FB/USPS/Medway PD misplaces LTC
10/10 & 10/15 I leave VM to Chief to report LTC lost per FB
10/17 Medway PD reports LTC lost to FB
10/27 Medway PD call me Original LTC shows up over the weekend,
what?!?!? But it is no good as it was reported lost.
10/27 FB prints replacement LTC
11/3 I finally have the Precious

58 Days in chicopee. LTC A Unrestricted.

Wasn't really keeping up with NES at the time, so without knowledge of the city going green I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome especially since it came a whole month earlier than what the officers at the station had told me.

71 days in Medfield, LTC A/ALP. Green town, was told 2 months when fingerprinted.

August - Dropped off application (no appointment)
Next day - Fingerprinted
October - LTC issued
2 wks later - Ready for pick up

Last edited:
42 days in Framingham. LTC-A - Unsure of restrictions, picking it up today.

9/25 - Turned in application
10/2 - Fingerprinted
10/30 - Called DCJIS for status, was told it was approved 10/30
11/6 - Got a call from Framingham PD that it's ready for pickup

EDIT: LTC-A Unrestricted. Thanks Framingham PD!

Last edited:
I just applied in Brockton. Had to wait to meet with licensing officer. I could not just drop off my application. Met with Licensing officer and got prints done. Let the process begin.

[smile]

Holbrook, MA

Sept. 26 '14 - Interview, photo and prints.

(3 weeks later)

Oct. 16 '14 - Approved with DCJIS

(3 weeks later)

Nov. 7 '14 - DCJIS said my PD should have had it a week ago, PD says they don't have it yet

(6 weeks total so far)
Got the call to pick it up tonight on 11/7.
42 calendar days total...no restrictions

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Newton, MA

October 2-applied for renewal, was told to call the PD in about 5-6 weeks.

October 22-called FRB, was told the license was approved and issued and waiting to be sent to Newton PD.

November 10-called PD, license was ready for pick up, no restrictions.

02/07/2013 - Interview with LO
03/12/2013 - LO Approved in MIRCS
03/18/2013 - Pending Approval FRB

Application sent back to LO due to discrepancies on my CORI.

11/08/2013 - LO Resubmitted
11/13/2014 - Pending Activation FRB

Hopefully this means I'm rounding the corner to home base.

Detective Corthell at Haverhill PD has to be he most stand up LEO that I've ever dealt with. He was very understanding of my situation and allowed me the time to get things resolved without judging. All LEO's could learn a thing or two from him.

If all goes well and my LTC-A is issued, anyone willing to sponsor me at HHRG?

I just applied in Brockton. Had to wait to meet with licensing officer. I could not just drop off my application. Met with Licensing officer and got prints done. Let the process begin.

[smile]

please update when you get it--just curious if anything has changed with the new chief. (almost a year now i think)

I think if you waited till 2015 you would have gotten no restrictions. Now you'll have to ask for a upgrade if you want to carry.

Yeah for me it was a timing issue. I moved down to Boston with a prior established collection so I needed to have my application in process immediately. I plan to submit for upgrade review after the new year. For what it's worth timing wise. I received my LTC-A (restricted) on 11/28.

I have my LTC-A now. Here's the breakdown...

9/9/13 Called Groveland PD for appointment, was told someone would get back to me.
9/13/13 Received a call from the dispatcher to setup appointment.
9/18/13 Had appointment with FO, did pictures and fingerprints.
11/25/13 Morning: Called DCJIS to check status. Was told license was approved and sent to GPD on 10/24/13.
11/25/13 Late Morning: Sent email to GPD asking for status.
11/25/13 Evening: Received a response saying my license was ready and had been waiting for MSP fingerprint check to come back.
11/26/13 Picked up my license at the GPD dispatcher's station. LTC-A with hunting and target restriction as expected.

My experience...

The interview and everything was all smooth and straightforward, no questions, no hassles, no BS. The FO was pleasant and answered all my questions. The FO also commented on the fact that he has no problem with law abiding citizens having weapons. However, he then told me that they give LTC-A with H&T restrictions by default, but that I can call in one year and have the H&T removed. He said they could do it over the phone and provided there are no issues it's automatic, we'll see. He went on to explain that they used to issue LTC-B by default and then let people upgrade it to LTC-A after one year, but then the state started charging $100 to upgrade so they changed their policy in order to not force people to pay again to remove the restrictions.

Observation: A lot quicker for me than some have reported here. Why does the State Police part seem to take so long? Over a month just for that, if the timing reported to me by the DCJIS and FO is accurate.

Questions:

Is it coincidence that the day I called for status to the PD and referenced the fact that DCJIS said it was sent back a month earlier that it was suddenly ready?

Does it make sense that they will just remove the restrictions in the computer after one year but the license will still say Hunting and Target?

Will I get hassled about that if I have to show my id?

Update: A few weeks ago I sent an email to the FO and mentioned it had been a year and he responded to say he put in the the change and I would be getting my LTC-A with no restrictions as soon as it comes in. I just picked it up today!!

[smile]

**UPDATE**

I called today the DCJIS to find the status on my LTC. They said it was approved [smile] and it was waiting to be shipped in a batch... waiting? [hmmm] I asked what it was waiting for? The lady on the phone said they sometimes wait to send the printed licensed in batches. oh, and it could take anywhere from a week to another month. [sad2]

Has anyone else called and received a response like this? [thinking]

**UPDATE**

I called today the DCJIS to find the status on my LTC. They said it was approved [smile] and it was waiting to be shipped in a batch... waiting? [hmmm] I asked what it was waiting for? The lady on the phone said they sometimes wait to send the printed licensed in batches. oh, and it could take anywhere from a week to another month. [sad2]

Yup. Wait for approval at the state, wait for approval at local police, wait for printing, wait for FRB to mail, wait for local police to open the mail, wait for local police to call or mail.

**UPDATE**

It's common. I doubt it will be a month though. Your PD could hold it for a while, however.

**UPDATE**

also you may or may not be aware of the fact that brockton's past practice was to NOT notify you it's in. you have to stop in at records to see if it's there ( you could try calling, if anyone answers the phone) i found it easier to just drop by

Back
Top Bottom