• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Oh man, that hurts to hear. I called early last week to set an appointment for the application processing, and was given Apr 10th at the earliest. So to hear it could be 4 months from then, or even Moon Island a week later, is rough. But I suppose it's better to set low expectations now in hopes that it comes in earlier.

I got my moon island test the day after the "interview". I think I called up in late december or early january to schedule mine, so a month out sounds about right. At least they aren't saying what the guys at moon island said - they said it would be 6 months!

Also, yeah, better to be pleasantly surprised I guess. Although there is very little pleasant about such long waits.

Natick: Wife's LTC-A no restrictions took 1 month (applied February 13th received March 14th). Mine the end of last year took almost 3 months.

LTC Class A - No Restrictions (Winchester MA) Applied Oct. 2012 Received it Mid December 2012 right before SHTF with everyone and their cousin applying.

Just called in to DCJIS, They said licensing officer still reviewing my application, I applied 2/15... Is this normal? (gardner MA)

I got the same response when I last called DCJIS - my application was in on 2/11. The DCJIS doesn't get the application until the local issuing authority approves the license - all they do is print the licenses out basically. So the "review" of your application could mean that your local licensing officer has submitted your information for a background check and is waiting on that to come back. It could mean that he is reviewing your references. Or it could mean that he or she is working on a backlog of applications and hasn't gotten to yours yet. The DCJIS system will basically not tell you anything about where you are until the whole process is essentially over.

I just called them today and got the same response again - pending review by local officer. The DCJIS seems to process the applications in batches, with a new batch being processed beginning on most Mondays, so there probably isn't a point in calling them again until next week. Really, I should probably stop bugging them myself because the time component is driven by my local office, but the DCJIS people will actually look up the status of my application, whereas the Boston licensing department just tells me that it will take "x months" without even checking.

Last edited:
Dropped my daughters FID application off today in Taunton.
They only take applications on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-4
She has an appointment for April 26 for interview and then a 10-12 week wait (for a 15 yo that has never seen the inside of a police station until today!)

At least they didn't have an issue with the $25 check

My wife and I just received our Unrestricted LTC's in Stoneham. Previously had Restricted through Boston. Over a 6 month process, local PD was easy to work with just not fast. We both had to include a letter to the Chief explaining why we felt we needed unrestricted.

Dropped off Renewal Applications 9/13/2013
Contacted PD in November and December, told process backed up and will reach out to us to setup interview
My LTC expired 12/17/13 (lame)
Received call from PD to set up interview first week of January
Both of us had our interview with PD on 1/20/2014
Wife's LTC received 2/28/2014
Received mine 3/27/2014

Worcester

Appointment - August 2013

Interview - January 2014

LTC-A Picked up - April 2014

Restrictions: None

I think Worcester is now green but they do take their time in processing it. Licensing staff was pleasant to speak with.

I will be having my appointment/interview in Boston this week. Does anyone recall if the application you pick up requires references?

I will be having my appointment/interview in Boston this week. Does anyone recall if the application you pick up requires references?

They don't require references or club membership. Also, the interview is just the LO filling out the online form from the paper one. It will be a long wait though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the response. I took the full afternoon off expecting it to be a wait. Thanks again!

Actually, I think the appointment should be relatively on time. I was referring to the wait for the LTC. I applied in early February and was told that it would be 4 months. I called at around forty days out and was told May, so I guess even in Boston the wait is coming down, but it will certainly be months not weeks. Also unless you are special you will get an automatic hunting and target restriction.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I applied February 26th and had my interview same day in Mashpee, MA. It wasn't until this week, 4/09 that DCJIS said they received the application. They said it takes about 2 weeks to process from there and then they send it back. The lady that handles applications at my local PD quoted 8-12 weeks. Looks like more than half of that time spent at the local pd. IDK if they were back-logged or they are running some other background checks from there before they send it for the state to review. Hoping to have my class a ltc unrestricted by april 23rd, the 8 week mark, to go to the Plymouth gun show ;-)

Kingston

50 days from interview to ready for pickup. Strangely they still haven't cashed the check.

Feb 20th interview
April 11th call for pickup

- Todd

Edit: added dates.

Back
Top Bottom