How long did they take to . .

Yes, in Mass.
I'm trying to get a reasonal time frame of how long it takes to see if theres something wrong or they forgot about me

Last edited:
a related question:
A contractor did some work for me. I paid by check. I've tried contact him (2 months now) to get him to cash the check, but no joy yet. When should I write it off? When do I stop payment on the check? Never? Don't checks expire at some point?

a related question:
A contractor did some work for me. I paid by check. I've tried contact him (2 months now) to get him to cash the check, but no joy yet. When should I write it off? When do I stop payment on the check? Never? Don't checks expire at some point?

Don't stop payment - if he goes to cash it, and you've put a stop on it, and there is no dispute as to the job beign done, that's l"arceny by check." ( if I remember the "games" that customers played at the dealership where I worked back in the day...)

Check with you bank to see when the check goes "stale". Often it's 6 months, IIRC Federal checks are good for a year, so it varies.

What MisterHappy said. On most personal checks, many banks have a policy that they don't have to honor checks that are older than six months. Note that it is simply a policy, and they don't religiously follow it, so your check may very well be presented and processed after six months. Keep trying to contact the person you issued the check to.

i know its a matter of "every town is different" but is there a general rule of thumb as to when the actual license is issued in relation to the checks being cashed? Do they have to wait for it to be cashed before they even lift a finger, or can everything be done before hand, does the state police need the money first before they do anything, etc. ?

Back
Top Bottom