• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did it take to receive your out of state/non-resident LTC?

Good afternoon fellow NES brethren! I wanted to start this thread regarding the time its taking/took to receive any out of state/non-resident LTC permits that you have had applications filed with. One of the reasons I'm so curious is, both my wife and I submitted our applications for NH on March 26th 2013. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived home today from an appointment only to have found our NH Non-Resident licenses sitting in our mailbox, They were issued on 3-29-13, really, only 3 days?!?! If my math skills serve me correctly, that's 15 days to get these, is that usually the norm with NH or am I just ignorant as well as happy? [smile]
If you think about it, it's probably a 2 day max trip for US Mail to reach ME from our neck of the woods (Leicester, MA) exclude the weekends and were talking under 2 weeks turn around time, that's how things should be! As I've mentioned in other threads, we also filed for ME non-resident and from what I'm hearing its 150 days out to process these! Anyways, just looking for some feedback from others.

-Dan

I'm curious about what people are seeing with the Mass. Non-Resident LTC A? Is anyone getting unrestricted Mass. Non-res these days? I figure I'll want one once I get out of the Commiewealth.

My non-res NH permit took a bit over one month.

I know a gun dealer in NH that has work restrictions on his non-res MA license.

I'm curious about what people are seeing with the Mass. Non-Resident LTC A? Is anyone getting unrestricted Mass. Non-res these days? I figure I'll want one once I get out of the Commiewealth.

My non-res NH permit took a bit over one month.

I have NH and Maine Non-Res Apps mailed 4/1/2013: (NH was technically a "renewal" from expired 2010)

- NH check cashed 4/9/13.

- NH Permit Received in Mail 4/24/13. (Date of Issue shows 4/3/13)

( Will update as I see changes / get licenses. )

Last edited:
I just got my N.H non res in the mail today total time was 3 weeks.

Question can I now open carry loaded in NH now that I have my permit?

See below:

The NH Non-Resident Pistol License does not contain the wording "carry concealed." Can I "carry concealed" with this license?
Yes, a license issued under RSA 159:6 is a full privilege concealed carry license.

The Open Carry Debate (September 2009)
by Sam Cohen, Executive Vice President and CEO, Pro-Gun New Hampshire, Inc.
Sept. 18, 2009: Four years ago, Paul Donovan, Chief of Police of Salem, New Hampshire -- and now an Advisor of Pro-Gun New Hampshire -- asked his staff to contact the state Attorney General's office about open carry. The AG's office replied that in New Hampshire, the constitutional right to keep and bear arms was not superseded by someone's "annoyance and alarm" at the sight of a gun. ("Annoyance and alarm" is the phrase taken from the state law about disorderly conduct, RSA 644:2.)

More recently, most of the country has heard about people openly carrying pistols near where the U.S. President was speaking -- in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and Phoenix, Arizona. (MSNBC editorialized about "white racist militias" in the Phoenix event, showing a cropped image of a man with a holstered handgun and a slung rifle -- although the uncropped image would have revealed him to be a black man.) In both cases, local police said that open carry of firearms was perfectly legal.

The Open Carry Debate (September 2009)
by Sam Cohen, Executive Vice President and CEO, Pro-Gun New Hampshire, Inc.
Sept. 18, 2009: Four years ago, Paul Donovan, Chief of Police of Salem, New Hampshire -- and now an Advisor of Pro-Gun New Hampshire -- asked his staff to contact the state Attorney General's office about open carry. The AG's office replied that in New Hampshire, the constitutional right to keep and bear arms was not superseded by someone's "annoyance and alarm" at the sight of a gun. ("Annoyance and alarm" is the phrase taken from the state law about disorderly conduct, RSA 644:2.)

More recently, most of the country has heard about people openly carrying pistols near where the U.S. President was speaking -- in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and Phoenix, Arizona. (MSNBC editorialized about "white racist militias" in the Phoenix event, showing a cropped image of a man with a holstered handgun and a slung rifle -- although the uncropped image would have revealed him to be a black man.) In both cases, local police said that open carry of firearms was perfectly legal.

And now a federal judge has ruled that police may not detain someone for legal open carry: (IMPORTANT NOTE: The judicial ruling applies, so far, only to New Mexico.)

http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gu...ights-Examiner

Excerpt: <<On September 8, 2009, United States District Judge Bruce D. Black of the United States District Court for New Mexico entered summary judgment in a civil case for damages against Alamogordo, NM police officers. The Judge's straight shootin' message to police: Leave open carriers alone unless you have "reason to believe that a crime [is] afoot.">>

In New Hampshire, the wisdom of open carry, although legal in most places, is still questionable -- although the tide is turning. Here's what I wrote about it several years ago, in the article found under the "Gun Law FAQs" (Frequently Asked Questions) article on this website:

<< Q: Can I carry a pistol or revolver openly, say in an exposed belt holster?

A: Yes. Furthermore, you do not need a License to Carry (the piece of paper says "Pistol/Revolver License") to carry a loaded handgun UNconcealed -- that is, visible, for example in an exposed holster -- unless you're in a vehicle. (See the previous answer about vehicles.)

Keep in mind that some people may panic when they see a gun, and if they call the police, the police may come to investigate - but the New Hampshire Attorney General's office has made it clear that open carry is a right, and that another person's "annoyance and alarm" doesn't supersede that right.

On the one hand, we will indeed lose our rights if we don't exercise them, but on the other hand, it's not smart to frighten or antagonize people, especially if you scare enough people to make the news - which may lead to legislation restricting open carry. Use good judgment. (Hint: look and act like a responsible citizen. It helps to be well-dressed.) Also, from a practical (as opposed to "political") point of view, if you're carrying openly in a place where there might actually be an armed criminal attack, you'll be the first target. >>

The question of whether (and where and when) to carry openly is still a difficult one, and I still advise caution and good judgment. For example, even though it's legal, I would not carry openly in a bank; for one thing, you could very well be shot -- maybe by a private citizen legally carrying concealed! Also, many businesses may ask you to leave if you're carrying openly, and if you're not prepared to do so, then you should carry concealed in those places.

Police in parts of New Hampshire may still react negatively to open carry on the street and other public places, and may detain you -- but if we allow for scare tactics to be used by police and others to stop open carry then we allow the right to devolve into a non-right. Now that the right to keep and bear arms is becoming more accepted in public consciousness, we believe the momentum should continue.

Be prepared to answer the question of why you're carrying. One answer is that you're adult enough to be trusted with the responsibility of being armed. (You can continue to say that you could carry concealed, but every so often people need to be reminded that self-defense is a fundamental human right.)

© 2006-2009 Pro-Gun New Hampshire Inc.
26 S. Main St., PMB 284
Concord, NH 03301-4809
Tel. (603)226-PGNH [226-7464]

I got my nh non res in eight days. The envelope left my house on a Friday and the permit was in my mailbox on that next Saturday. My Maine permit took two months.

NH non-res (renewal) mailed 3/21/13, received 4/26/13 (~ 5 wk.). My renewal wasn't up until the end of July (I sent it in early just to be sure) so perhaps that's why it took a bit longer.

Greetings from CC. I'm happy to report that my ME Non-Resident has come in. I mailed my app on 3-26 and I received it on 8-7. Hell of a long time but well worth it for me personally.

Back
Top Bottom