• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

how long between applications?

Excuse me if this has been covered, but I really have exhausted the search function...

I received my LTC-A restricted T+H a few months back, I was a little bummed but I realize Somerville doesn't hand unrestricted out to readily so I bit the the bullet, no pun intended.
I am however starting a new position at work that requires me to pick up cash, late night, from several boston parking lots, count, fill out bank slips in my car, and make after hours deposits to the bank. I am sure everyone can already see my concern as it won't be hard for some boston bum, hooligan, or the like to take note of me doing this every night...
My question is, is there a certain time frame I have to wait for before I can reapply for a class A unrestricted? I would feel so much safer, knowing I can execute my right to bear arms to protect myself...
Thanks. In advance

I think it depends on your PD...they might say you're never going to get 'no restrictions', they might say wait untill your current license expires, or maybe if you're lucky they'll tell you to come in and give them another 100 bucks and give you no restrictions

I'd probably call and explain your situation and see what happens

yeah i was going to call, but its one of those open one day a week for 2 hours deals... was just hoping to satisfy my insatiable need for immediate answers, haha

yeah i was going to call, but its one of those open one day a week for 2 hours deals... was just hoping to satisfy my insatiable need for immediate answers, haha

You may want to consider writing a letter rather than calling. This will ensure you have an opportunity to thoroughly articulate your reasoning, in the best manner possible.

You may want to consider writing a letter rather than calling. This will ensure you have an opportunity to thoroughly articulate your reasoning, in the best manner possible.

sound advice, i will do that. i can certainly provide any letters of reference as well as a letter from the owner of the company, on company letterhead stating what i will be doing for him.

Problem I can see here, is that if you mention it is for work, they may tell you to go to Boston PD, and have them give you a restricted permit for work only. This happened to a shop owner I know a few years back. He happened to mention to the licensing authority in his town that he owned a business. When it was found that his business was in another town they asked him to apply there. I think they (agency) were totally out of bounds - but it makes sense in this state that they would pass the buck.

Well i just got word this morning that basically ends this discussion... im moving in with my fiance' in Melrose, a green town as i understand it. middle of next month, so i guess i will be carrying mace until then as it will be much easier procuring and unrestricted LTC there. thank you all for your input

Well i just got word this morning that basically ends this discussion... im moving in with my fiance' in Melrose, a green town as i understand it. middle of next month, so i guess i will be carrying mace until then as it will be much easier procuring and unrestricted LTC there. thank you all for your input

You do realize, of course, that the restrictions on your LTC remain under the authority of the chief who issued your LTC until it either expires or is terminated by that licensing authority. Some licensing authorities have been known to refuse to terminate an LTC, even at the holder's request, in order to prevent the holder from obtaining an unrestrict LTC in thier new town.

As to work - it is a huge plus *IF* work will document, in writing, that you are permitted to be armed when on the job and that you are making cash pickups. Be sure to find out of they will do this before using that as a reason as a "work request" can go down in flames when the employer says "Nope, too much legal risk to us allowing you to carry on the job. It's easier to hire a replacement than defend against a suit claiming that but for our permission you would have been unarmed"

Just to expand upon and clarify the correct posts here.....

Having one's LTC re-issued without restrictions can be a relatively simple process and can be completed in a matter of days.

Anyone desiring to have their restrictions lifted should write a letter to the licensing authority outlining the change in circumstances that justify a change in licensing status. Attached to the letter should be as much documentation to support the request as possible - bank receipts, letter from employer, business documents, additional training, etc.

The license holder should then make an appointment with their licensing officer to drop off the letter and discuss their new requirements.

In this case the OP will still have to go through this process as he's not able to re-apply in his new town until his current license expires or is withdrawn by the original licensing authority. Since he's no longer a resident of Somerville and has a very acceptable reason for carrying a gun, there should be no problem.

Problem I can see here, is that if you mention it is for work, they may tell you to go to Boston PD, and have them give you a restricted permit for work only. This happened to a shop owner I know a few years back. He happened to mention to the licensing authority in his town that he owned a business. When it was found that his business was in another town they asked him to apply there. I think they (agency) were totally out of bounds - but it makes sense in this state that they would pass the buck.

This is NOT correct. Unless the OP is the actual business owner and that business is a Boston business, Boston cannot issue him a license. However, if he was the business owner, Boston would very probably give him an unrestricted licenses. Anyone who owns a business in Boston and lives in a red town should apply in Boston as their practices are much more predictable than most red towns.

I had not realized that, thank you for the advice. Also, as stated above, the owner has already agreed to write a letter for me stating my purposes in regards to his business.
So it looks like i will still being dealing with yellow somerville here! Time to get all my ducks in a row here... i hope an appointment doesnt take 5 weeks like it did the first time... =/

Just to expand upon and clarify the correct posts here.....

Having one's LTC re-issued without restrictions can be a relatively simple process and can be completed in a matter of days.

Anyone desiring to have their restrictions lifted should write a letter to the licensing authority outlining the change in circumstances that justify a change in licensing status. Attached to the letter should be as much documentation to support the request as possible - bank receipts, letter from employer, business documents, additional training, etc.

The license holder should then make an appointment with their licensing officer to drop off the letter and discuss their new requirements.

In this case the OP will still have to go through this process as he's not able to re-apply in his new town until his current license expires or is withdrawn by the original licensing authority. Since he's no longer a resident of Somerville and has a very acceptable reason for carrying a gun, there should be no problem.

This is NOT correct. Unless the OP is the actual business owner and that business is a Boston business, Boston cannot issue him a license. However, if he was the business owner, Boston would very probably give him an unrestricted licenses. Anyone who owns a business in Boston and lives in a red town should apply in Boston as their practices are much more predictable than most red towns.

Just to clarify, I am simply passing along anecdotal information. Things would be alot simpler if PD's actually followed the law, instead often times they pass the buck, delay, or otherwise obfuscate the issues. I know several Boston business owners who have unrestricted licenses - they have all had to prove large cash deposits to the BPD before issuance of the license if that is of any help.

Just to clarify, I am simply passing along anecdotal information. Things would be alot simpler if PD's actually followed the law, instead often times they pass the buck, delay, or otherwise obfuscate the issues. I know several Boston business owners who have unrestricted licenses - they have all had to prove large cash deposits to the BPD before issuance of the license if that is of any help.

Ok, but he never said he was a business OWNER. You need to own the business in the other town to apply in that town, not just work there...SO i essence, in this case, if he went to Boston and they told him to piss off, they would be following the proper licensing guidelines.

Back
Top Bottom