• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How likely am I to receive an R.I. nonresident permit?

Well I've decided to take the plunge and apply for my RI nonresident carry permit and have a few quick questions. First thing is I'm going to apply once I get my C&R FFL,I plan to state the fact of having the C&R FFL and transporting firearms/large amounts of cash as my reasons for wanting the permit. I have a license to carry in my state of residence which in Florida and no criminal history. What is the likelihood of my receiving an A.G. issued nonresident carry permit even a work purposes only one? Has anyone here resident or nonresident received an A.G. issued carry permit under the above mentioned circumstances? thanks for any help everyone.

Unless you can document that you carry lots of expensive equipment and/or cash for work purposes, or can document that you are at extra risk (e.g., documented threats against your life), and that you do so in RI, I think you are unlikely to be successful. I concur with DavidK that you should contact CRALRI.

FYI...you will need to show definative "need" for AG to issue NR permit... also if permit is issued you will need to take a trip to RI to Pick it up, It can not be sent in mail, when permit is picked they roll print your thumbprint directly on permit before laminating. If permit is issued for work purposes by very careful on when you carry....only to and from work. If you carry outside the restrictions listed on permit and on file with AG although you would not face criminal charges (penalties are administrative not criminal) your permit would be revoked and you would "never" be issued a NR permit again. good luck!!

have a license to carry in my state of residence which in Florida and no criminal history
As has been mentioned before, you need to show up in person during business hours to pick up a permit once it has been approved. RI takes a short period of time (about two weeks) to process an application. The approval letter states you have something like 2 weeks to pick it up, but they will be flexible if you contact them after approval to explain your travel plans/issues. If you know what month you will be traveling to RI, I suggest you contact them and ask if you can apply well in advance or need to time your application so they don't have to sit on it for an extended period of time after approval.

Also, be aware that applications are often denied and issued upon appeal. You appeal to the person who denied the application, but these appeals tend to have a better track record than the judicial appeals in MA. I don't know if an applicant who is successful at appeal may pick up the permit on the same trip as the appeal, or if you have to go back (it probably depends on their willingness/ability to type up the cardstock for the permit while you wait - they laminate it after adding your thumbprint).

You need to take a range test form an NRA or police instructor - just be sure to find an NRA B-22 (Army L) target for this (30 rounds slow fire, 25 yards, 195/300 required). You must score 195 to qualify and the caliber you take the test with will be marked on your permit and is the biggest you can carry.

RI tends to be good about renewals - their form states that having an existing permit and demonstrating responsibility is a valid reason for issuance of a new one, so any answer to a "has anyone succeeded?" question is only valid if asked of someone under the same administrative regime. I have been advised that renewals are generally approved if the applicant's stated reason is basically the same as with the previous permit, and they continue to maintain a clean record.

Curiously enough, currently issued RI permits are personally signed by the AG (no rubber stamp as with previous AGs).

When you visit take a look at the far wall you see when standing at the service window - all those manila folders in the racks on the wall are the RI AG pistol permit files (resident and non-resident)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom