How is it legal to carry a rifle in Mass?

Let's say I have a rifle in my car that is legal in Mass. Say a Mini 14. Let's say I don't feel comfortable leaving it in the car, so I decide to bring it into my local pizza place, or department store. Let's say it's in a generic bag that doesn't scream "gun", so it's not going to scare the horses.

How is it legal to do this? Can the rifle have a loaded magazine in it if the chamber is empty? If not, is it OK to have the loaded mag in the same bag? Or does the loaded mag have to be in a separate bag? Or is it not legal to carry a rifle in public in a bag?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Let's say I have a rifle in my car that is legal in Mass. Say a Mini 14. Let's say I don't feel comfortable leaving it in the car, so I decide to bring it into my local pizza place, or department store. Let's say it's in a generic bag that doesn't scream "gun", so it's not going to scare the horses.

How is it legal to do this? Can the rifle have a loaded magazine in it if the chamber is empty? If not, is it OK to have the loaded mag in the same bag? Or does the loaded mag have to be in a separate bag? Or is it not legal to carry a rifle in public in a bag?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Dude, Really????????...Try looking up mass law for transporting long guns. Forget about enquirering minds, that will get u in a lot of trouble.

You're mean! Jack.

Finally, someone on NES who know’s what a conjunction is!

26 messages in 12 years?

Late bloomah, guy.

If you think of it, that’s one introduction post, 1 post each year for @minininjer’s birthday 1 post each year for another day someone confuses to be @minininjer s birthday...and then this post. Do the math, bruh!

Am I missing something here? Whats the big deal?

First, the law says the rifle/shotgun must be unloaded. Therefore, no cartridge in the chamber and no cartridge in the magazine IN the gun.

Second, the law says "no person shall carry unloaded rifle/shotgun on public way, unless rifle/shotgun is enclosed in a case".

Im sure in addition to meeting those criteria you'd want whetever case your using to be highly inconspicuous. For a standard long gun what would you do other than something like a guitar case? Now if you had a takedown of some sort, you could probably thow it in any old backpack.

Ammunition and firearms must be stored separately while transporting unless under your direct control...leaves for a lot of grey area, so just get one of those handcuff suitcases like in the spy movies!

Ammunition and firearms must be stored separately while transporting unless under your direct control...leaves for a lot of grey area, so just get one of those handcuff suitcases like in the spy movies!

Are you sure about this. Handguns must be unloaded during transport unless under your direct control. I dont think long guns can ever be loaded under any circumstance in a vehicle.

So for transportation purposes (handguns or long guns), so long as they are in a locked container there is nothing wrong with throwing magazines or loose ammo in the container as well.

Im also not sure if "carry on his person on a public way" is subject to the same regulation as "transport in a motor vehicle".

Am I missing something here? Whats the big deal?

First, the law says the rifle/shotgun must be unloaded. Therefore, no cartridge in the chamber and no cartridge in the magazine IN the gun.

Second, the law says "no person shall carry unloaded rifle/shotgun on public way, unless rifle/shotgun is enclosed in a case".

Im sure in addition to meeting those criteria you'd want whetever case your using to be highly inconspicuous. For a standard long gun what would you do other than something like a guitar case? Now if you had a takedown of some sort, you could probably thow it in any old backpack.

Thank you.

Are you sure about this. Handguns must be unloaded during transport unless under your direct control. I dont think long guns can ever be loaded under any circumstance in a vehicle.

So for transportation purposes (handguns or long guns), so long as they are in a locked container there is nothing wrong with throwing magazines or loose ammo in the container as well.

Im also not sure if "carry on his person on a public way" is subject to the same regulation as "transport in a motor vehicle".

You are correct, sir. No loaded long guns...basically ever unless at the range. I am fairly certain that storing ammo in the same case as a rifle is a no-go though. I could be wrong about that though.

You are correct, sir. No loaded long guns...basically ever unless at the range. I am fairly certain that storing ammo in the same case as a rifle is a no-go though. I could be wrong about that though.

The law says "public way". You can have a loaded rifle on you while walking around on your 42 acre farm, or at your house, or at someone elses property etc, and carry it around. But you better not cross the (public) street with it that way, etc.

AFAIK There's nothing in MGL that mandates separation of ammo, long as it's not loaded in the gun itself. (chamber empty, no mag installed).

-Mike

I can't comment on the legal issues, but I can offer an interesting observation.

I used to occasionally have business in Boston right near the Berklee School of Music. Walking down the street in that area, I would pass someone every 50 yards who was obviously pulling a sniper's drag bag. You know, a full size hard case with wheels that you pull by a handle at one end. Exactly the case you would have for your Accuracy International rifle with a full kit. You would see lots of these cases on the T at that stop too.

Of course, all of these cases were for musical instruments, and for all sorts of odd shaped things besides guitars. In that area you would have no problem with a full length Pelican case as long as it had no indiscreet markings.

So in addition to learning and following the law, knowing your environment also matters.

Good to know! I guess I learned my MGL from a Fudd, because a kid I used to shoot with always told me that.

Thank you for the clarification and I apologize for spreading misinformation.
Learning from reading is always better than learning from a FUDD

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131C

And if your reading comprehension is good, you will notice the law says
1) loaded handgun must be under your direct control (I translated firearm to handgun since that is the effective meaning)
2) high capacity rifle/shotgun must be unloaded and in a locked container

What it does not say is that there are any requirements for an unloaded handgun
What it does not say is that there are any requirements on a non-high capacity rifle/shotgun

From this you might conclude that it is legal to litter unloaded handguns throughout your car as you see fit
From this you might conclude that you can stack like cord wood low capacity shotguns and rifles, loaded or unloaded as you see fit, anywhere in your car you want

No statements about ammo other than the comments about loaded/unloaded

In case you needed proof that people writing MGL gun laws were morons

Last edited:
Learning from reading is always better than learning from a FUDD

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131C

And if your reading comprehension is good, you will notice the law says
1) loaded handgun must be under your direct control (I translated firearm to handgun since that is the effective meaning)
2) high capacity rifle/shotgun must be unloaded and in a locked container

What it does not say is that there are any requirements for an unloaded handgun
What it does not say is that there are any requirements on a non-high capacity rifle/shotgun

From this you might conclude that it is legal to litter unloaded handguns throughout your car as you see fit
From this you might conclude that you can stack like cord wood low capacity shotguns and rifles, loaded or unloaded as you see fit, anywhere in your car you want

No statements about ammo other than the comments about loaded/unloaded

In case you needed proof that people righting MGL gun laws were morons
C. 131 (sorry don't recall the Section) will disagree with you on long guns. It's a hunting law that prohibits having a loaded long gun in or on a motor vehicle at any time!

Removed to avoid piling on.

The only exception that I know of for an uncased long gun, on a public way, is being lawfully engaged in hunting, and then, it must be unloaded. So, while out turkey hunting, you may cross a road, without having to case it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom