• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How is it legal to carry a rifle in Mass?

Good to know! I guess I learned my MGL from a Fudd, because a kid I used to shoot with always told me that.

Thank you for the clarification and I apologize for spreading misinformation.

I think that is a Rhode Island thing

Last edited:
Removed to avoid piling on.

The only exception that I know of for an uncased long gun, on a public way, is being lawfully engaged in hunting, and then, it must be unloaded. So, while out turkey hunting, you may cross a road, without having to case it.
Is there a reason that crossing the road with a loaded long gun is bad? Or is it just to prevent chickens from shooting cars?

Well, it's unlawful. Bad is subjective. [laugh]

It's unlawful to hunt within 150' of a road; you are presumed to be hunting, if you have ammo in your gun; therefore, there's no reason to be on, or crossing a road with a loaded gun, while you're hunting.

The law allows you to be on a road, with an uncased gun, as it's not practical to carry a case, just because you have to cross, or walk along, a road (like you came out some distance from your car).

The language "Lawfully engaged in hunting" allows John Law to get upset when a yute with a shottie is on the street in the Big City.

Back in the day (30 years ago) a co-worker bought a shottie at Roach's on Mass Ave., in Cambridge. He took it out in its box, and hopped on the 77 bus! [laugh] Imagine that, today.

As for the chickens, I don't think many live to be 15, so they can't get an FID. And, an LTC would be even tougher.

upload_2019-8-13_15-28-54-jpeg.297329
38rla7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom