How is GUN registration done in Connecticut?

Can someone explain what happens in CT in reguards to owning a gun(s)?

I just got my permit...

I'm picking up a handgun next Tuesday. What takes place at the time of purchase.. I know that there is a lookup done, as I witnessed that while in a gun shop prior to the sale.

Is the gun then registered to me with the local PD or is there a registration to a state police database? And if so what happens when you sell the same gun ... Does it get removed from all the registration databases, to the point where it was like you NEVER owned it? or is there a permanent paper trail that NEVER goes away.

Check out the NRA's gun law site here, http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/ , for basic info on your states laws. From a quick look at the CT page it appears that there is are no registration requirements, except for EBRs.

When purchasing the dealer should run a NICS check per federal rules. It should only take a few minutes. It is not a registration. Read and answer the questions carefully and correctly. Ask the dealer if you have a questions. If they give you a hard time go someplace else where they want your business.

Best wishes.

Check out the NRA's gun law site here, http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/ , for basic info on your states laws. From a quick look at the CT page it appears that there is are no registration requirements, except for EBRs.

When purchasing the dealer should run a NICS check per federal rules. It should only take a few minutes. It is not a registration. Read and answer the questions carefully and correctly. Ask the dealer if you have a questions. If they give you a hard time go someplace else where they want your business.

Best wishes.

I kinda did that already. That document really just addresses the sale and requirements to possess and purchase. The main question I had was the registration of the firearm. "Is it in some way associated to 'ME' in some database?"

So for example... I sell this gun next month, and 5 years from now it is used in the commission of a crime, will that come back to me in some way; where the police know at some point in the weapons lifetime it belonged to me?

If you buy a handgun in CT eather from a dealer or privite party you have to fill out a DPS-3 form. It has the sellers and buyers info on it. There are 4 copys made of it. The buyer keeps one, the seller keeps one, one goes to the Department of public safty and one goes to the police authority where the purchaser resides. So if you sell the gun instate you have to fill out one of these again and there is a paper trail that you sold the gun. I would recomend keeping all of your paperwork, so just incase you get a phone call you can say I sold it and here is the paperwork.

If you buy a long gun from a dealer then you have to fill out the same paperwork. If you buy or sell a long gun via privite party there is no paperwork involved. The DPS recoments it but you don't have too. It would be a good idea to make up a bill of sale and have both peple sign it and then you would have some record of who it was sold to.

Thanks ... I'm part of a paper trail.

I just made my first purchase today, and I got my DPS-3-C copy. I also noticed that it stated that a copy was to be sent to my local PD.

So if and when I sell this pistol, my local PD still retains it's copy, but would get another DPS-3-C showing the sale to someone else.

Yes they would retain the DPS-3-C. If you sell it to someone else the copy of the DPS-3-C that goes to the police would go to the purchacers police dept not yours. You could make an extra copy and send it to your police department, that way they would have record of you selling it (but it is not requaried).

Connecticut does NOT have a handgun registration unlike surrounding states such as New York. There, all handguns are registered to you individually and permanently.

Here that is not the case.

Here is a paragraph from (of all places) the Brady Campagin.

1) Are all guns registered with law enforcement [in Connecticut]?

Connecticut - State law only requires registration of assault weapons. No state requirement that other firearms be registered. Police do not known how many guns are in the state or where they are. The lack of registration makes it difficult for police to trace guns used in crime, identify illegal gun traffickers or hold gun owners accountable for the illegal use of their weapons. The state does attempt to identify felons and other prohibited people who bought guns legally in the past, but later committed a crime or otherwise became ineligible to keep possession of their firearms. The state has required anyone acquiring a handgun since 1995 to obtain a permit from law enforcement but there is no requirement for reporting of lost or stolen handg
uns.

The form that goes to your local PD when you purchase a handgun is filed but is not required to be kept in perpetuity. Some feel that the forms are kept but if that's the case, it's a "back door registration". I believe that the forms are cycled out after a time certain. Whether they are or not, however, is questionable.

Rome

I believe the state of CT maintains a list of firearms that people own based on the paperwork that is submitted when you buy/sell a firearm. A friend of mine had the state review his firearms once he bought a class III firearm.

I do not know what the various towns do with the paperwork they get.

there is NO requirement though for registration..you can go to NH/VT/Maine/Penn and buy a long gun...and you don't have to tell anyone when you bring it back to CT

There is no requirement to register a hand gun you may already own (moved from out of state with it), however, once you purchase a hand gun in CT the make, model, and serial number are kept in a database maintained by the State Police Firearms Unit. I requested a copy of all information contained in my Pistol Permit File and along with the information I received was a list of the firearms I purchased in state.

Jumpmaster, was the list you received complete and did it cover all of the handguns you'd purchased here? Did you request the info via FOI (freedom of information) or can anyone obtain that info? Who did you send your request to?

Thanks!

Rome

Back
Top Bottom