• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How is carrying a full size vs a compact pistol

I have never had the opportunity to try anything other than my M&P9c in a holster. I always end up using the mags with the extensions piece because I like having that extra bit to grab and I am not overly concerned about "printing" so I was thinking it might be logical to move to a full size.

Another big influence in me wanting trade my compact for a full size is this. Droooooool.
DSCN0643.jpg

This Sig is my dream gun but I am wondering if a full size would be too heavy/bulky for me @ 5'9 165. Other than the Sig I would not be opposed to another M&P or Glock.

Dont trade, just buy it if you want it. I know, easier said than done. You have a good eye and taste, both super guns, but for me, I go small so my carry gun is a m&p .40c.

I have never had the opportunity to try anything other than my M&P9c in a holster. I always end up using the mags with the extensions piece because I like having that extra bit to grab and I am not overly concerned about "printing" so I was thinking it might be logical to move to a full size.

Another big influence in me wanting trade my compact for a full size is this. Droooooool.
DSCN0643.jpg

This Sig is my dream gun but I am wondering if a full size would be too heavy/bulky for me @ 5'9 165. Other than the Sig I would not be opposed to another M&P or Glock.

I know a guy roughly your size who carries a full size M&P IWB with no issues.

If your not worried about printing go for it. And i'm with GREENCOBRA buy it don't trade. that way if your not happy with it you still have your old tried and true carry rig.

Given SIGs current quality control issues, skip the SIG. Keep your M&P Compact and just get an M&P fullsize to go with it.

DSCN0643.jpg

It can be done, but carrying a fullsize sig 226/229 is definitely harder to forget about than carrying something plastic and/or smaller. I found the width of the grip the biggest issue.

Jose has it 100%.

Buy a quality holster. My Crossbreed, Raven Concealment, and X Concealment holsters work awesome. My new favorite is the Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 for my Glock 19.

I carry my m&p full size and compact with a crossbreed no issues at all. Sometimes the 1911 owb in the winter. But don't trade it,you'll like the smaller frame and lighter weight in the summer.

I traded my m&p .40 fs for a 1911 and I love my 1911 but I feel like I gave away one of my kids,the .40 fs was a great gun and I regret getting rid of it keep your gun and save up for the new one. As for fs carry I used and use a iwb my t shirt or dickeys work shirts cover up pretty good.

I carry a M&P compact as much as possible in a IWB MTAC. Just the other day I tried carrying a friend's M&P fullsize and it wasn't bad, but I prefer the compact. The muzzle sticks down into your leg/butt a little more but the grip was almost the same (since I also carry with the pinky extension). Of course it weighs a little more too. Sometimes depending on clothing or mood I'll carry the wife's LCR if she's not carrying it. Man that thing disappears! It's especially good IWB with pajama pants around the house. That's in a Remora clipless IWB holster with the rubbery material on the outside. I'm more comfortable with the M&P because I can shoot it more accurately and I have 11 shots instead of 5.

What a fortuitous thread. I just decided to retire my Summer carry. I normally carry a Sig P239 but decided to go with a G17 this Summer. Reason was round count. I just got three 17 round pre-ban's for the 17. I carry at the abdomen and on a trial run was surprised at how nicely it concealed. A good holster and belt certainly helped.

i think the glock 17's grip angle helps with that . since if the gun is canted , the grip wants to ride up almost vertical.

I have the p229 stainless, carry it in a crossbreed OCCASIONALLY. I stress occasionally. As stated, right holster = virtually undetectable, however that is not the problem. The problem is....do you mind carrying a brick on your hip all day? Personally, I don't find it to be a very enjoyable experience. The mid to full size sigs are heavyweights. If you think you won't notice the weight, you're whacked. You will. I'm waiting for the tough guys "no bro I carry my 11" .470 nitro puppy slayer on my ankle AND hip dual weilding with my 1911 strapped to my f***ing forehead 24/7 even in the shower and I don't notice it, p***y". If you're out for the whole day walking around, it's going to get annoying. I'm not a nay-sayer, it can be done, plenty of people do it without a hitch. I can do it no problem, however I prefer carrying something lighter. Now if you're looking for a bigger gun to carry, and not carry a medium sized dog on your hip, check out a polymer mid or full sized gun. You will notice the difference. I'm not saying don't buy the sig. I wouldn't sell mine if I had to, I effin love it, but if it's going to be your primary ccw, you might be better off thinking a bit lighter. Or do the smart thing, don't trade anything, and buy a compact AND the sig. ;) And a new belt fed. Deal with the financial BS later. CARPE DIEM BRAAH.
Just my .02

i think the glock 17's grip angle helps with that . since if the gun is canted , the grip wants to ride up almost vertical.

I can see where that would be true. My holster has no cant to it. It pretty much sits parallel to my body. But my body type hides it better than I though it would. I'm very pleased with this! The good thing is that the magazine base is flush even though it is 17 rounds. The downside is that a mag change takes two hands to remove the spent mag. The right thumb to depress the mag release and the left hand to hook the forefinger into the grove at the base of the grip and pull down on the base of the mag.That can really slow you down. Then you have to reach back with the left hand and grab a mag, then load and release the slide lock with the right thumb. But I will trade that for the capacity.

May I ask what holster you use in this configuration? And what carry position you use.

I'm in a car a lot and the 3 or 4 is horrible for me. Abdominal carry really works for me in the car. I can still get to it with the seat belt on and I don't mine a loaded gun pointed at my junk provided it's in a good holster.

Last edited:

I am quite a bit taller than you, but probably a similar build (6'4" 200) and I haven't had an issue concealing a 1911, however they are relatively thin, but have a very long grip. That said, the weight was definitely an issue. With a good belt and holster, it works, but the few pounds will always be there.

Do you have a friend with a pistol that you can try for a couple days?

MichaelJR makes a good point. A Sig P239 (8+1) isn't much lighter than a G17 (17+1). A good holster and belt make them practically an equal carry. I've decided that I'll go with round count. He shoots his 10 (8?) rounds and I'll shoot my 18 at the initial go. He better be good at ducking while he reloads (if he can... since he has no spare mags).

Let me just warn you. If you haven't actually handled the Equinox, you might want to find, and hold one. I had P229, that I "Equinoxed out" I ordered the Factory Sig Equinox grips, and felt like I was holding a Pepsi can, or Coke if that's your flavor. Unless you have big, skinny hands, It won't be very comfy.

Don't get me wrong, probably one of the most attractive guns out there, but maybe more for show, and not for go!

I used to carry a P226 all the time. I've since moved to a P239. I'm about 5'10" 200lbs, no problem concealing either rig. The weight is noticeable on both, I never minded it personally, not to say it was the most pleasant experience, though. Just be mindful of what you are doing and wearing, and you shouldn't have a problem if the Sig is the route you want to go.

The other thing I'll point out is that it is a big change to go from a striker-fired gun to a DA/SA gun. It takes a lot of training in order to fire two, quick shots with a DA/SA gun -- the transition between the long, hard, DA first pull and the short, light, SA second pull takes a lot of practice to master.

Back
Top Bottom