• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How is a lower receiver purchase classified?

I apologize in advance for such a mundane question. I've never purchased a lower, but I'm fully aware that it's the serialized portion of an AR, and as such, requires a purchase through regularly accepted methods.

My question is, when you purchase one, is it classified as a rifle/AR-15?

I only ask because I'd like more info that might help explain different pro-gun positions to those that currently, blindly, follow the anti-gun agenda.

Thanks.

In the eyes of the federal government a stripped lower at least constitutes some kind of firearm, so you have to do 4473, however in the eyes of the MA state gov it doesn't constitute a gun and so you don't have to do a fa-10 until you've assembled the thing and combined it with an upper half.

four seasons does fa-10's on stripped lowers. i have 4 in hand as i type this from transfers they did for me. never really read them closely before but "rifle" is checked off. barrel length is marked 00.00" and caliber says 5.56mm. this subject came up not too long ago.

four seasons does fa-10's on stripped lowers. i have 4 in hand as i type this from transfers they did for me. never really read them closely before but "rifle" is checked off. barrel length is marked 00.00" and caliber says 5.56mm. this subject came up not too long ago.

And I have 3 stripped lowers from a gun shop run by people who know what they are doing with just the 4473 done. I was reminded that I need to file an eFA-10 when they were assembled into a firearm.

so i guess i'm covered...i only built one so far, happened to be a 5.56 rifle, so if anyone asks, they screwed up on the barrel length.

I apologize in advance for such a mundane question. I've never purchased a lower, but I'm fully aware that it's the serialized portion of an AR, and as such, requires a purchase through regularly accepted methods.

I only ask because I'd like more info that might help explain different pro-gun positions to those that currently, blindly, follow the anti-gun agenda.

Thanks.

Find a shop that does not do FA-10's on them....its not a rifle until you build it.

Thanks.

Even better buy 80% and have it shipped to your house.

Any shop who fa10's a stripped lower isn't getting my business, Hunters trading post did 2 of mine and then proceeded to charge me the transfer fee individually on each lower, I'lll never darken those doors again.

So realistically does .gov track these, do they know you have it?

Well they fill out the 4473 will the model and serial numbers on the back page, then the ffl writes it down in his bound book if I'm not mistaken, so, I'm guessing they know. Could it be called registration?

Where's the beating the dead horse smilie?

On the 4473 it should be Marked as "Other" (frame/receiver/etc).

Since it's not capable of firing a round, it doesn't meet the legal definition of a firearm in Massachusetts. As such, no FA10 should be processed for it.

I'm in the process of building my first AR and had no idea I'm supposed to FA10 it when it's done. I thought everything was all set and good to go once I filled out the 4473 like on any other gun purchase from a FFL. Learn something new every day.

Any shop who fa10's a stripped lower isn't getting my business, Hunters trading post did 2 of mine and then proceeded to charge me the transfer fee individually on each lower, I'lll never darken those doors again.

Well they fill out the 4473 will the model and serial numbers on the back page, then the ffl writes it down in his bound book if I'm not mistaken, so, I'm guessing they know. Could it be called registration?

The Armory in woburn did the same. Never going back.

Well they fill out the 4473 will the model and serial numbers on the back page, then the ffl writes it down in his bound book if I'm not
mistaken, so, I'm guessing they know. Could it be called registration?

That information isn't transmitted to the NICS center during the background check and the ATF has to literally come to a shop and get the physical book or 4473 to trace a firearm to an individual. There is no centralized database at the federal level of firearms.

So let's say somone bought a stripped lower , did 4473, (but no fa10), did nothing with it in the intervening three years, then in the meantime moved out of state and wanted to buy a pistol upper for it. Is he ok to do so, or does he need to check how it was defined on the 4473? Also, if there was already threads on this subject, where would ye find them? [grin]

So let's say somone bought a stripped lower , did 4473, (but no fa10), did nothing with it in the intervening three years, then in the meantime moved out of state and wanted to buy a pistol upper for it. Is he ok to do so, or does he need to check how it was defined on the 4473? Also, if there was already threads on this subject, where would ye find them? [grin]

To be absolutely sure, you would ask the FFL how he declared it on the 4473. It should be "Other". If you can't get a hold of the FFL or it's been three years and he has no easy way to look it up, it would be reasonable to assume it was not a rifle and proceed as you see fit.

That information isn't transmitted to the NICS center during the background check and the ATF has to literally come to a shop and get the physical book or 4473 to trace a firearm to an individual. There is no centralized database at the federal level of firearms.

Cool, thanks - that was my question!

On the 4473 the gun shop should mark the stripped receiver as "other" because at that point it could be built either into a rife or pistol. I suggest anyone buying one ask to see/verify that the gun shop marked it as "other" or have them redo the form.

That being said the 4473 form stays with the gun shop so the only place / record of what the receiver is (rifle/pistol/other) is with/at the gun shop that sold you the stripped receiver.

So even if the gun shop marked it wrong (as a pistol or rifle as opposes to other) I highly doubt the police would expend tons of man power and time to trace the receiver back to the gun shop that sold it to see if the 4473 showed it was sold as a pistol, rifle or other.

If they are looking that deep into you, you must be in some serious trouble and that is the least of your worries!

Back
Top Bottom