• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How in hell did this happen?? Woman sent revolver in the USPO.....it discharged.

Did she put it in the box loaded AND cocked?? Inquiring minds need to know!
Also, was an NESer involved??

uspo%20revolver.jpeg

"ringing in ears and stinging hands"....someone is looking for some disability and a payout.

In other words the employee wasn't injured in the event.

"ringing in ears and stinging hands"....someone is looking for some disability and a payout.

In other words the employee wasn't injured in the event.

Stinging hands...[rofl]

.357 is loud, but not loud enough to warrant medical attention for ringing ears. Douchebag employee looking for a payday.

As for the revolver...single action i would think it had to be cocked. Thats a special kind of stupid, lucky no one got killed.

Ruger has/had a recall for older blackhawk models, (see below, quoted in entirety); but I very seriously doubt that the firearm went off because the postal worked "picked up" the package... Sounds more like a combination of errors. Obviously the gun should NOT have been shipped with ammunition in it. That's an incredibly stupid thing to do, (as well as violating a number of shipping laws). After that, I'm betting the revolver wasn't packed well, and that it was handled with less than care.

RUGER
“Old Model” (pre-1973) SINGLE-SIX,
BLACKHAWK, & BEARCAT, REVOLVERS

RECALL: The patented Ruger Conversion Kit is an entirely new operating system for these old revolvers. It can help prevent accidental discharges caused by a drop or blow to the hammer if the user has failed to take the basic safety precaution of keeping the hammer down on an empty chamber. That's very important!
This mechanism can be factory installed without any further alteration. The frame and other major parts will not be affected by this Conversion. The value of the gun will not be impaired, and we will return your original parts for collector's purposes.
To receive a free factory safety conversion, write to us at:
Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc.
Lacey Place
Department KC
Southport, CT 06490

We will provide you with a shipping container and instructions. You only pay initial shipping to our factory. We will cover all other charges including return shipping costs. Please write to us without delay if you have one of these guns, and tell your friends about the availability of this kit. Remember that the safest way to carry any older single-action revolver, regardless of manufacturer, is with the hammer down on an empty chamber.
If your revolver has the words "New Model" on the frame, this offer is not applicable. Please write to us at "Department C" for full details.
Source:

• Company Notice 1980 & 1982
  • American Rifleman, November 1980; page 9
  • American Rifleman, February 1982; page 65
  • Handgun, February 1999; page 37

As a new employee of a gun maker, I am not even remotely surprised by this. I just actually saw pictures from a guy who put his hands on the muzzle and back of the slide of a gun and somehow fired it because he had one in the chamber. Went through his hand and the side of the car. People are fools.

Stinging hands...[rofl]

.357 is loud, but not loud enough to warrant medical attention for ringing ears. Douchebag employee looking for a payday.

As for the revolver...single action i would think it had to be cocked. Thats a special kind of stupid, lucky no one got killed.

Absolutely. I don't think that part of it can be emphasized enough. I am glad there were no injuries or deaths as a result of this idiotic maneuver.

What a dimwit, but a bunch of dimwits, I mean, I can't... I really can't.
(although it only bothers me up to a point, shit happens and sometimes in happens with firearms.)

But really, damn it, you pack a gun, take out the ammo.. WTF, and someone is going to tell me that "all people are the same" , some people are so dumb they make you ashamed of being human.

Also, I don't care if said worker somehow saw a gun in the pack and they all started playing soccer with the package in that facility, if you ship a loaded revolver, IMO, you are to blame, 100%.

Stinging hands...[rofl]

To someone with no shooting experience it's probably uncomfortable as hell. It also depends what was sitting in the chamber and the acoustics of the room that "douchebag" was in. Spent two days with ringing in my right ear thanks to some .357 handloads without plugs/muffs when I was younger, and that was outdoors.

It's one thing when you pick up a gun at the range and somehow, through an AD or ND, it fires. It's another thing entirely if you're working in a sorting room and you toss a 2 pounds box and there's a discharge of a .357. You'd crap your pants. It wasn't anticipated or expected. It would scare me enough to worry about the next 2 pounds box I handle.

I was wondering if it would be possible to whack a hammer and have a round fire in the Ruger. My brother Colt Commander did the same thing (it's a semi-auto of course) but there was a round under the hammer when he shoved it into a new holster and.....pop.....off it went.

That woman is a really a stupid person; not ignorant but plain stupid if she doesn't think that sending a handgun in the mail is not safe....especially a loaded one. At the counter they always ask, "Anything fragile, liquid etc., etc" ? She got off incredibly lucky as did the USPO employee. It could have ended extremely badly.

Rome

What is even the point of shipping a loaded revolver? 6 rounds of .357 mag is worth about 3 dollars or 6 if they are self defense rounds? Does she think she was doing the recipient a favor?

Stinging hands...[rofl] .357 is loud, but not loud enough to warrant medical attention for ringing ears. Douchebag employee looking for a payday. As for the revolver...single action i would think it had to be cocked. Thats a special kind of stupid, lucky no one got killed.

I disagree on that as someone who suffers from tinnitus. It only takes one time above the threshold for it to start. It started for me in summer of 1966, Colt SAA in 44-40, friend of mine, no hearing protection (who wore muffs then?) Just a subtle ringing in the left ear that got progressively worse over the decades. One shot, one time can do it because everyone is different and each of us can tolerate loud noises above the threshold differently. Some have a genetic predisposition towards hearing loss when exposed to loud noises while others have titanium ear drums. I'll be glad to trade my hearing for yours and I have practiced sound hearing conservation for decades but it takes its toll. One time is all it takes believe me.

That woman is a really a stupid person; not ignorant but plain stupid if she doesn't think that sending a handgun in the mail is not safe....especially a loaded one.

Sending an unloaded handgun in the mail is safe, however, it is not legal*. There is a difference.

* - except for FFL to FFL transfer with USPS form 1508 on file at the shipping post office.

You can't legally ship a firearm using the USPS.

I doubt a woman dumb enough to ship a loaded gun in a package would know or care about any such regulations. She's probably an oxygen thief.

-Mike

You can't legally ship a firearm using the USPS.

My FFL received one on my behalf a few weeks ago...via USPS.

I always thought that was the law, but hey it arrived in one piece and i didn't ship it so i wasn't concerned with how it got there.

I disagree on that as someone who suffers from tinnitus. It only takes one time above the threshold for it to start. It started for me in summer of 1966, Colt SAA in 44-40, friend of mine, no hearing protection (who wore muffs then?) Just a subtle ringing in the left ear that got progressively worse over the decades. One shot, one time can do it because everyone is different and each of us can tolerate loud noises above the threshold differently. Some have a genetic predisposition towards hearing loss when exposed to loud noises while others have titanium ear drums. I'll be glad to trade my hearing for yours and I have practiced sound hearing conservation for decades but it takes its toll. One time is all it takes believe me.

I had someone pull the trigger on a .300 Win Mag about 2-3ft from my right ear. It was pretty excruciating for a minute or so and i couldnt hear a whole lot for about an hour, but my hearing returned to normal after that.

Never suffered any long term effects, thankfully.

Depends how they were holding it when it fired. If their hands were over the cylinder gap, they were lucky stinging hands were all they got:

I guess i shouldn't assume it was in a box with packing material. Thats probably a false assumption in this case

Ruger has/had a recall for older blackhawk models, (see below, quoted in entirety); but I very seriously doubt that the firearm went off because the postal worked "picked up" the package... Sounds more like a combination of errors. Obviously the gun should NOT have been shipped with ammunition in it. That's an incredibly stupid thing to do, (as well as violating a number of shipping laws). After that, I'm betting the revolver wasn't packed well, and that it was handled with less than care.

RUGER
“Old Model” (pre-1973) SINGLE-SIX,
BLACKHAWK, & BEARCAT, REVOLVERS

RECALL: The patented Ruger Conversion Kit is an entirely new operating system for these old revolvers. It can help prevent accidental discharges caused by a drop or blow to the hammer if the user has failed to take the basic safety precaution of keeping the hammer down on an empty chamber. That's very important!
This mechanism can be factory installed without any further alteration. The frame and other major parts will not be affected by this Conversion. The value of the gun will not be impaired, and we will return your original parts for collector's purposes.
To receive a free factory safety conversion, write to us at:
Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc.
Lacey Place
Department KC
Southport, CT 06490

We will provide you with a shipping container and instructions. You only pay initial shipping to our factory. We will cover all other charges including return shipping costs. Please write to us without delay if you have one of these guns, and tell your friends about the availability of this kit. Remember that the safest way to carry any older single-action revolver, regardless of manufacturer, is with the hammer down on an empty chamber.
If your revolver has the words "New Model" on the frame, this offer is not applicable. Please write to us at "Department C" for full details.
Source:

• Company Notice 1980 & 1982
  • American Rifleman, November 1980; page 9
  • American Rifleman, February 1982; page 65
  • Handgun, February 1999; page 37

Hmmmm ... she was shipping it to CT .... I wonder if it was for the "safety conversion"?

She's a special kind of stupid.
But the headline would probably be more accurate if it went.
"Loaded gun in package discharges after the fifth time of being dropped kicked across the room."
Most of the stuff I have shipped now days no matter what carrier shows up looking like it was used like a chock block for the truck.

At fist I thought the stinging hands was odd, then on second thought considered the person was not gripping the gun. Their hand might have been a fraction of an inch from the muzzle or injured when they hit the floor. I have to believe the first second of brain activity was in keeping with a box that seemed to be exploding.

As a new employee of a gun maker, I am not even remotely surprised by this. I just actually saw pictures from a guy who put his hands on the muzzle and back of the slide of a gun and somehow fired it because he had one in the chamber. Went through his hand and the side of the car. People are fools.

I responded to a guy who shot himself in the leg while buggering a new .22 pistol. Nope, not much surprises me anymore.

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom