How has your collection changed since you started?

my pistols are safe queens. but everything i own, i shoot. i am more of a rifle guy nowdays

so i'm happy. [banana]

I started out thinking that a glock 23 was the holy grail, got one and hated it. moved onto a j-frame which I liked, but wasn't really my thing. Now I think I have the gun meant for me in my .357 Sig P239. as for long guns I like milsurps and EBR's but I find myself strangely fascinated w/ elephant guns (.700 nitro express for example), but a 5 round box of ammo is in the neighborhood of $400.

I have been buying up older S&W Revolvers. It wasnt really planned out, but several "cant pass up" deals have come my way over the past two months.

I recently purchased a mint condition 1977 29-2 .44 Mag with 6.5" barrel. Box, Papers, History, etc. Bluing is incredible. I purchased it from a friend of mine (the original owner). This one was a divorce sale. $400 cash.

Next was a 1970 27-2 .357 Mag. 6". Blued. Mint. Not a scratch and hardly shot. Purchased from a guy who bought brand new in the Navy from the Navel Exchange in NJ. He lost his license to own firearms. I purchased for $350. (I actually feel guilty).

My most recent is a 1982 629-2 .44 Mag. 6" stainless. I purchased it from a co-worker (the original owner). He purchased it new in the Navy while stationed in Alaska. Only had one box shot through it. I gave him $400 for it yesterday. He sold it to fund a fishing trip up north. Whatever.

So my collection has definately taken a different turn towards these revolvers. As someone else mentioned. Poly and Tactical guns are nice. I have a few. But there is just something about an older S&W or Colt Revolver in your hand [grin]

Sean

Were you pointing a gun at those people when you made those deals. They really are "steals".

That's a great start to a classic S&W collection. You couldn't do any better. Congrats from another S&W lover.

My collection has never, still doesn't and will never make any sense to me or anyone else. But I like all the guns I have.

My first gun was supposed to be my carry gun, now I carry my xD which set the springfield bug in place, now I want an xDm, xD sub compact...yada yada. Would love to get a glock at some point, just because its a glock. A 1911 .45 and AR15 are also next on the list. Oh, and a mossberg shotgun with breacher [smile]

When I first got my LTC 2 years ago I was suprised because i never thought that I would ever be able to get A gun and went crazy on all types of guns nothing specific until recently got into the AR15's now I have 10. I stopped for the past 5 months on buying the only thing that im looking to get is A PS90 and I think that would be it for A while, I had purchased 19 pistols and 32 Rifles in 17months

I used to really like pretty, shiny guns. Stainless pistols, sexy finishes, etc. I also used to fret insanely about scratches. Slowly I have evolved now to where as long as rust isn't a potential issue, I love a nice worn-in gun. I don't really have any "safe queens" anymore except my "Cadillac" Sig P226. I also used to have zero interest in "milsurp" weapons. Never did I imagine I'd end up owning the ones that I now do.

I jus bought my first "safe queen". A firearm I didn't buy to shoot or carry. Just because I like the one I have so much, I wanted a spare.

I bought everything I could when I first started and have been narrowing down to nice/rare examples of each type. I also fell hard for the SKS design and for the past few years have been concentrating on getting different variants and models from different countries and arsenals. When I'm done with one of each, I'll continue on with specific years. That'll keep me busy for a while.

Of course I'm always keeping an eye out for a deal, especially on something new and am branching out into ARs.[grin]

It started 30 years ago, a friend once aked me if I could list all the guns that I have bought sold and traded over the years. It took 3 days and 4 pages to list all that I could remember. some models I have owned a few times. Now I just keep the ones that I shoot well and like the most. Most are pistols, some rifles and shotguns. I'm not done yet.

I started out with a Marlin Model 60 .22lr shooting beer bottles. Wanted a "bad-ass" gun so I bought a S&W .357 magnum revolver. Tried a .45 and then a .44 and a few different 9mm. Now, many years later, I find I enjoy plinking with rimfire the most fun. I have a Mossberg .17HMR rifle and a Walther P22 pistol that are both a blast to shoot and don't break the bank for ammo. And I can find the ammo for both anywhere!!!

When I started, I bought what caught my interest, that I could afford.

Now, I buy what catches my interest, that I can afford.

Everyone goes through phases, though and right now my interest is caught by milsurps.

Just getting larger. [smile]
When I started I couldn't understand why anyone would need more than 1 handgun, 1 rifle, 1 shotgun at the most. Let's just say, when my husband asked me how many I was up to I had to think for a minute, add them up and then told him sheepishly how many I had "collected." (even though 2 were bought for my son to shoot - I shoot them too). He was a bit surprised to say the least. And I'll be darned if I still don't have that shotgun I want. Should have bought the one at Riley's I saw a few months back (lefty, semi).

It started with a new J. C. Higgins (Sears, Roebuck) single shot 22 my father gave me around about 1956. Now I have a modest collection, mostly mil surp or mil type. Many years ago I traded in some toward the purchase of others. Kicked myself each time. Now I don't sell or trade in anything.
I only need a few more...
I still have the single shot 22. I may have fired twenty thousand rounds through it and it still works well.

I seem to be re-evaluating my little " collection. " Because I am not at heart a 'collector' ,

I bought a Win 94 because it's a classic , I bought an AK/Wasr because I wanted to be a blip on a statistic the day after Deval got elected. I bought a Mossberg and and a Remington 12g because I knew I "needed" some shotguns ...

My pistols are similar in their reasons for buying.

Lately I am feeling that I don't Need These Guns , like I did before.

I shoot at least once a week , with the between days getting time on the Dillon machine , talking to other shooters and reading here.

But in the past year I have only been really interested in shooting my AR15 , my 1911 ...
Honestly , at times I think about selling everything else off.

But I won't.

I started off with a ccw. S&W M&P 40c. I then wanted a .22 to play around with, so I bought a .22 pistol. I now wanted a summer ccw, so I bought a S&W 442 that I carry in my pocket every day now. Next on my list is a EBR and a shotgun.

I think a lot of noobs dismiss revolvers because they're old fashioned or something. I know I did. Now I have a S&W 627 and it's great.

On the other hand, I got a Sig 229 early on and it's still the last handgun I'd get rid of. I'd really like a Sig 220 to keep it company.

I got the bug. I just started my collection a few years ago. I have a few purchases I could do over, but overall I'm happy with what i have. The problem is their are SO many other models Id like to get. The thing I need to remember is patience, the right gun at the right price will come along, I just need to wait.

Started w/ a couple Mil-surps about 25 years ago. Bought a Russian SKS for 125.00 and sold it 5 years later when Slick Willy got in for $275.00, after about 8000 rounds. Sold all those early pieces to help fund my house, Vet bring back K98's, 99 Arisaka's, A set of 1942 Manufacture Excellent condition: K98, 99 Arisaka, M1 Garand, No4mk1* Enfield, and 91/30. I made enough and had a down payment for my house. I then started w/ High power standard cartridge commercial rifles. AR's came next, Bought a few more surplus rifles in calibers I had ammo for. Then came Swede's, and more Swede's, bought and sold them for about 3 years and now have 7 in 3 calibers, both hunters and military. Last has been a few lever actions, A Model 1892 and a BLR. I've trimmed down now to 38 rifles in 21 calibers, A few 12 ga shotguns, 9 handguns in 8 calibers, and 1 BP cap and ball revolver. I am happy I started "collecting" ammo years ago also. Reloading supply's too.

I began on the pistol kick, I started with MY ideal carry which I decided was the M&P40, then got the itch for 1911, then after shooting that I felt the pain of ammo cost and grabbed a .22, my Beretta. I go where the money leads me. A .357 wheel gun is in my near future along with a 12ga p/a and then if my bank account isnt empty and the stock market rebounds, my "rifle era" will likely begin.

Back
Top Bottom