How good is my new knife sharpener???

I want one of these... [smile]

iu

My favorite Russians are black...
I'm not sure if you're saying your favorite Russians are AKs, or that you don't like Russians because there are next to zero black Russians...
Seems like a nice sharpener, though a bit over-the-top compared to other products I've seen.

Only on NES could a comment on a common alcoholic beverage turn racist...

When we built our home several decades ago we were the first house in the development. As the neighborhood grew we found ourselves among a bunch of certified yuppies and butt sniffers. And racists...

So one day one of the neighbors asks me if I heard who was moving into the house beside ours? Nope, no idea. She tells me it is a black state trooper. I'm fine with that. Not an issue, but she was not happy.

Turns out the folks moving into the house next door drove a black Isuzu Trooper, and somehow that got translated into a black state trooper.

OMG... too funny!

PEOPLE!!!

That looks like the best method of knife sharpening I've ever seen and would definitely get one if the price were a bit lower. It looks idiot proof but we all know that better idiots are created each and every day.... At this stage of the game in my life, I've figured out how to put a good edge on cutlery using various coarse - very fine grit stones. And yes, I have spent a shitload of money over the years on different gee wiz wonder sharpeners that never quite worked as advertised and finally realized that I had to learn the correct way to use sharpening stones.

Frank, it is quite amazing. Very well thought out and engineered.

Yes, it's rather expensive. I've had my eye on it for a while and my wife said get it for Father's Day. Well the Russians were late shipping but it finally arrived and I do like it a lot.

Just did a pair of old scissors for my wife. They cut through thick cardboard like butter after. It was a beautiful thing.

I wish I had the skill the to these types of edges by hand but I just don't do it enough to be able to learn. This is second best for me.

That looks like the best method of knife sharpening I've ever seen and would definitely get one if the price were a bit lower. It looks idiot proof but we all know that better idiots are created each and every day.... At this stage of the game in my life, I've figured out how to put a good edge on cutlery using various coarse - very fine grit stones. And yes, I have spent a shitload of money over the years on different gee wiz wonder sharpeners that never quite worked as advertised and finally realized that I had to learn the correct way to use sharpening stones.

I figured I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one.

What's the preferred method for sharpening knives, whether kitchen knives or pocket knives? Any good tools out there that don't cost $300+? I'd like to avoid taking my kitchen knives to another shop so that they can screw up the blade profile again.

I have struggled with knife sharpening and have bought 3-4 systems. Then I got this and it does it all:

I want to mount a extra-fine belt on a 10-speed sitting on its seat and bars... 🤪

1603903622609.png1603903728388.png
kinda not kidding...

My name is Rich and I'm an addict...

I bought the Ken Onion as well for quick jobs. It works very well. I don't get surgical edges like I do with the TSPROF but very serviceable edges.

It's a nice piece of kit for the money. I'd probably wait for the Thanksgiving sales to see if you can get a deal!

I have struggled with knife sharpening and have bought 3-4 systems. Then I got this and it does it all:

This is a good upgrade to the KO sharpener. Makes it a lot more versatile.

That Ken Onion tool is $125 on Amazon. The non-KO version from Work Shop is only $65 on Amazon, but it apparently doesn't have adjustable angles?

I'd go with adjustable angles. They make a difference.

This about a filet knife vs a Chef's knife. Very different blades that need different angles.

Oh, and I went to a thrift shop and bought half a dozen old knives for a couple buck each to practice on before turning it loose on my nice ones.
That's a good idea, when I bought my edge pro I practiced on all the crappy knives from friends and family before I touched any of my own. There's definitely a a little bit of a learning curve learning curve but then eventually I was able to get a nice hair shaving edge on almost anything. Here's a pic of my Benchmade 915 triage.
PXL_20201222_011954902.jpg

Back
Top Bottom