How good is my new knife sharpener???

richc

NES Member
This is one of several paper towels needed. Just a glancing blow.

Bought from Russia. Profile TechStudio

This machine is pure genius! I do believe my decades long search for the perfect knife sharpening gizmo is over. I can die a happy man!!!

P.S. I've been using the KME sharpening system for a number of years. It is very, very good. This is just more stable and easier to get a razor sharp edge.

Ixo2F83ePUQmUu2kL7MbQeU8-9zKGdbOBieq0SkN-UJaJ1HVMS2Mg5OjPnbeKhg4XY2SHwz63sodpjxUVCCVn5iLMDZgkzW8H89pz3Kn7yt8GuXUN-o_aXU2SyqeQA2oJiRR7xw-HN5tpxMtJAUmTuc_B9NrAEmU4gcPpHv0jkkM5uwfZcrN_p8nLIHRBPOX1y5qAweQmcX_EG7GZ4nYEF9cxMtm5bOpRyn7b82rwnTit6OvS-z8gSMYSQceKruPchT87iVn_9ut5IlAfnc_72m7iRu2en--mJUG2IlHekEaUK7GrP7D3SY3xw3LJY4D2lXcN6A2BYSnY4FElAkPCNpHwM_bIlKnm5w1IbzmbPEzH0wwuIy4wUINjtZIkUE408JupUMfTQShptcK4VQP0Ev2AyuwwZzJaR2K8lvwojv91PMfwdvL1zy9VSFHB-Y67xo7tEe-PbgJFG0IWqfCPggqWprktkF4ozACkYeKk9C9_mj8Oxe9UtX4W8J1AthW1fINtfWaE_9VDIt7K8PiPvaGlnyLrb85w5C8Y7mWQePtjJhGg5m6ubpzkYBE52hY0-Sg2hWakNCtUJ5NQw6YOnWZJYG6FhPYVua1dyg=w2070-h1552-no

Sounds like some sort of commie trick, get you to buy an expensive sharpener and laugh an evil russian laugh knowing that you will injure yourself.

I don't see how this is much different than the Lansky Knife Sharpener I've been using for nearly a decade.
It only looks a bit fancier and it's a sh*tload more expensive.

I started my journey with a Lansky. It's a decent tool. But there's a bit of slop factor where the rod fits into the much larger slots. It moves around a fair bit in my experience. I found the KME system better, albeit a fair bit more expensive than the Lansky.

Can I justify this expense because it gives me more granular control over knife edges and makes my life a tiny bit easier? Absolutely not? Can I financially justify the Honda S2000 I bought new 17 years ago and still drive? Nope, for the amount of time I drive it there is no financial justification at all.

Can you and I justify the cost of an Uzi other than for personal satisfaction? Absolutely not.

It's a hobby I enjoy. I like great toys and have many. It gives me some satisfaction and does not hurt my family's lifestyle at all.

I'm an old shit that like his toys and can afford them. One friend said a few years back that I have a beer taste on a champagne budget. That may be true or not but I do like beer much better than champagne...

:)

I don't see how this is much different than the Lansky Knife Sharpener I've been using for nearly a decade.
It only looks a bit fancier and it's a sh*tload more expensive.

damn, typical old school soviet engineering. I use a spyderco sharpmaker.
th

2 angles, 30 & 40 degrees. can't screw up simple and stupid.

I have on of those as well. I've clearly spent more on knife sharpeners than most people spend on knives...

damn, typical old school soviet engineering. I use a spyderco sharpmaker.
th

2 angles, 30 & 40 degrees. can't screw up simple and stupid.

I have on of those as well. I've clearly spent more on knife sharpeners than most people spend on knives...

I’ll be that guy. Spent 16 years as a professional cook “chef” if you will.
I find hand sharpening knives on Japanese whetstones truly therapeutic. I have about $600 invested in natural and some synthetic stones. From toothy, box opening edges to hair popping, actual scary sharp ones. Variety.

It took a long time to master it by hand. I fault no one for using a tool or jig to create consistent, repeatable angles. It’s not easy. There’s still nothing quite like a well done back bevel though.

I like sharp things, and those are just the kitchen knives. Honestly, it’s pretty much two sets combined. One from work and one for home. I’ve also started restoring old knives I find at remarkable cleanouts in Norwood. A few cleavers and some vintage stuff. Sunday fun in the winter months.

Attachments

• CB57BC11-94B0-44E6-A858-53489B9654CE.jpeg
    CB57BC11-94B0-44E6-A858-53489B9654CE.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 86
What are your favorite knives? I'm no expert but looks like a few Wusthof and Shun knives on your wall.

I wish I had the skill to sharpen by hand. I just don't do it enough. It is an art for sure that takes time and practice.

Japanese whetstones are amazing. Well done, sensei!

I’ll be that guy. Spent 16 years as a professional cook “chef” if you will.
I find hand sharpening knives on Japanese whetstones truly therapeutic. I have about $600 invested in natural and some synthetic stones. From toothy, box opening edges to hair popping, actual scary sharp ones. Variety.

It took a long time to master it by hand. I fault no one for using a tool or jig to create consistent, repeatable angles. It’s not easy. There’s still nothing quite like a well done back bevel though.

I like sharp things, and those are just the kitchen knives. Honestly, it’s pretty much two sets combined. One from work and one for home. I’ve also started restoring old knives I find at remarkable cleanouts in Norwood. A few cleavers and some vintage stuff. Sunday fun in the winter months.

A friend has one of those. It's impressive.

The Lansky is sloppy, and has such a short stroke that it's useless on any knife over 4 inches. Any longer, and the sharpening angle changes from one end of the stroke to the other. The TS is infinitely adjustable, but the Lansky only has fixed slots. Those slots don't give a true indication of angle, because the width of your blade will change the angle.

For a professional, the TS is more than worth it. Using a Lansky on a knife that costs $600+, would be like putting a $29 Walmart scope on a $600 rifle.

What are your favorite knives? I'm no expert but looks like a few Wusthof and Shun knives on your wall.

I wish I had the skill to sharpen by hand. I just don't do it enough. It is an art for sure that takes time and practice.

Japanese whetstones are amazing. Well done, sensei!

A few Wusthof and Shun for sure, those rivets don’t lie, rescued from TJ Maxx of all places. Some no names like Messermeister, MAC and knives from culinary school. An Italian Berti that left me a lifelong reminder of itself(Very hard steel, scars to prove it)My favorites by far are the Masanobu by Mcusta out of Seki city Japan. Those knives were pricey and some of the very few knives that I’ve ever been astounded by factory edge sharpness. They’re hand honed for sure. Korin.com is a very reputable importer of Japanese steel and other fun kitchen items.

My new favorite is this 1960’s Robeson “shur edge” cleaver I’m bringing back from the dead. Seriously abused and pitted, now sporting a mirro edge and far less rust. Still missing a rivet though.

Much like guns, knives, and their simplicity, have always fascinated me. No doo-dads, no electronic gadgetry, just hand worked slabs of metal and ebony.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom