How good is my new knife sharpener???

i recently bought a shun paring knife. while perusing their site i found this:
it got me to thinking that it would be nice to have a similar setup where the angle of the stone holder was adjustable. whetstones are the best but holding the proper angle is hard to learn. anybody can eyeball hold a knife straight against a stone (see spyderco sharpmaker usage).
i searched for adjustable angle blocks, adjustable sharpening blocks, adjustable knife sharpeners but only got machinist/woodworking tools or cheap pull through sharpeners in my results, plus the systems like what the op posted.
my question is....does such a base exist? what search terms would you use to look for it?

i recently bought a shun paring knife. while perusing their site i found this:
it got me to thinking that it would be nice to have a similar setup where the angle of the stone holder was adjustable. whetstones are the best but holding the proper angle is hard to learn. anybody can eyeball hold a knife straight against a stone (see spyderco sharpmaker usage).
i searched for adjustable angle blocks, adjustable sharpening blocks, adjustable knife sharpeners but only got machinist/woodworking tools or cheap pull through sharpeners in my results, plus the systems like what the op posted.
my question is....does such a base exist? what search terms would you use to look for it?

Most systems are going to hold the knife level (edge pro apex)or plumb (wicked edge) and the user adjusts the set angle of the sharpening medium rather than adjusting the angle of the knife. Edge Pro would be my pick for the money. Apex 4 Kit – Apex Model Edge Pro Sharpening System

With that said, my 16 years in professional kitchens means I’m very good with whetstones, it just takes a good deal of time, and I have a lot of knives. So, with my limited time I finally (and somewhat reluctantly) purchased the Ken Onion Worksharp with the blade grinder attachment.
Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition & WSSAKO81112 Blade Grinder Attachment. Amazon product ASIN B08DY3RCLJView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DY3RCLJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5ZAD1EX3WTBY7H5CVJ4W?psc=1

I’ll report back as to whether or not it’s useful, or a $200 pile of garbage.

I picked up three different flat diamond stones at Harbor Freight. Copies of DMT. $3.99 and sharpening is a skill anyway so I should be good to go for life unless the diamonds are fake and fall off.

Attachments

• 20210304_105418.jpg
    20210304_105418.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom