How good are "High Viz" fiber optic sights?

yanici

NES Member
Old eyes indoors need more light. I painted the front sight white on my S&W 617 revolver to see it better. It helps but now I'm looking at fiber optic sights made by "High Viz". The SDM fiber optics that S&W sells are too tall but these High Viz ones are specifically designed for the 617 and should fit just right.

My question is the quality of the product and how well they'll work. Does anyone here use High Viz sights? The ones for the 617 are rather pricey so I want to be sure that they are good and will work at the indoor range.

Thanks.

I have them as front sites on my g26 as well as my m&p 340. I really like them. I have used inside and out. Never really dark conditions. But they show up nicely.

I use them, specifically the "High Viz" brand fiber optic sights, on both my IDPA guns. After lots of rounds, I've never had a problem with them. Very durable design. I have both staked and dovetail versions. I prefer the green tube to the red. In dim light, they're no worse, and usually better, than a "painted" front sight, and in any kind of ambient light, they positively glow. In flashlight assisted shooting, angling the flashlight even slightly in toward the gun makes the sights light up like neon.

Last edited:
Thanks. Maybe I'll just keep squinting. The white paint works fairly well but not great. I'm not that great of a shot anyway so no biggie.

I've got them on my G-19 and have had no problems after close to 10K rounds. If there's any light aroung they show noticeably brighter than the regular ones. Whatever light there is will be concentrated into the tubes. YMMV of course, but I like them.

Ken

I have them on a 617, and they definitely do work as advertised but keep in mind that they only provide the "rough" site picture, you will still need to focus on the total width of the front blade if you want to be hitting the 10 ring.

Old eyes indoors need more light. I painted the front sight white on my S&W 617 revolver to see it better. It helps but now I'm looking at fiber optic sights made by "High Viz". The SDM fiber optics that S&W sells are too tall but these High Viz ones are specifically designed for the 617 and should fit just right.

My question is the quality of the product and how well they'll work. Does anyone here use High Viz sights? The ones for the 617 are rather pricey so I want to be sure that they are good and will work at the indoor range.

Thanks.

My wife and I both have 6" 617's. For us only, have found that giving the front post a base of Testor high-gloss white (dot size) followed by Testor fluorescent orange (over the white) seems to work. Rear sights are two dots of the gloss white. Everyones eyes are different, but this seems to work for us. Sidenote: also use this combo on my Sigs. Works for me. [grin]

They work great, but they do break. On my carry guns, I change them every two years. Expensive but worth the much improved sight picture. Your mileage will vary depending on how much you shoot!

You can buy the colored fiber optic separately. I literally have yards of it, in different colors.

Back
Top Bottom