• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How early is TOO EARLY to renew my LTC?

daveshrews

NES Member
My MA LTC expires in almost exactly one year. Given the current climate with regards to gun ownership, I am anticipating a long time to get it renewed. I have heard stories about 8+ months to receive a renewal.

I currently live in a fairly gun-friendly town with a great firearms licensing officer, but we may be moving within the next 3 months, and possibly to a town that is slightly less gun-friendly. My question is... can I submit my renewal application this early? And what happens if I submit it, and then move to another town while I'm waiting? Am I likely to run into any problems when I go to pick it up at my previous town's PD? As long as I file a change of address after I receive my license, will I be ok?

Thanks in advance guys.

I did mine 3 months out. I hear some departments won't take it unless its within 30 days though... Depends on your town I think is the only real answer. If it takes 6 months to get an appointment, well then you should start 7 to 8 months out... If it takes 2 days to get an appointment - well then 2 months should be sufficient.

There is no too early, it's whatever the PD will let you get away with. If EOPS prints out the license the activation date will be when the old one dies off.

I tell people to start making noises/calling a minimum of 3 months out from expiration. Then the PD will tell you when you should come in, usually.

-Mike

I emailed the police guy for my town last week. He's very good with issuing permits and answering questions. He said come in 6 weeks prior to expiration if I wanted. If I went 2 to 4 months prior, I think he'd be fine with that too. I doubt a year out though. It would hurt for you to try. The worst they can say is no.

There is no too early, it's whatever the PD will let you get away with. If EOPS prints out the license the activation date will be when the old one dies off.

This. I went in 6 months early and it took about 10 minutes. That was a few weeks ago. I have a good town and PD.

I did mine 3 months out. I hear some departments won't take it unless its within 30 days though... Depends on your town I think is the only real answer. If it takes 6 months to get an appointment, well then you should start 7 to 8 months out... If it takes 2 days to get an appointment - well then 2 months should be sufficient.

I spoke with my PD Chief who's a member at my club, and he told me to renew 3-6 months before expiration. So I plan on renewing probably 6 months before.

I just called my PD and asked the same thing.. Mine is up at the end of April 2013 so they told me to come in tomorrow to renew it..She said they are taking 2 months to come back now....

In North Attleboro, they told me it is about 2 months to process...but I can renew as far in advance as I wanted up to 1 year. He said there was some issue with over 1 year, but didn't elaborate.

I renewed mine one year early. Had no issues getting it through. The new one does not start till my current one expires. So you do not lose any time to overlap. There is no overlap.

Do it now, Dude!

just remember your new permit wont be valid until your old one expires, so dont throw out the old one. It comes with a new pin also. I did this and ran into a little issue buying a new pistol. Fortunately I had scanned it and was able to email them a copy.

if you're moving to Lowell, renew in Billerica. the Lowell chief will only give out sporting class a's unless you're a LEO or take him to court

Back
Top Bottom