• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How does one "destroy" or report a "destroyed" handgun?

I thought I saw a provision on the FA-10 for reporting a "destroyed" handgun, but I'm not sure what the specifics are. How does one destroy a gun or legally get rid of it if it's no longer wanted any more?

Just some specifics, I have a Jennings .22 that I bought (when I didn't know any better) over 15 years ago when I was in NC and moved back into the state with as soon as I got out of the USMC. I've dismantled it a long time ago, tossed the mags, and most of the parts. Essentially it's just a slide and frame now. I was holding onto it for whenever Boston would have another one of their no-questions-asked gun buy-back events, but it doesn't look like that will come any time soon and I'm just tired of this thing in the safe.

In it's current condition, no dealer will take it even if they wanted too. Can I just simply take a mallet to it and then submit the form as being destroyed? I assume I still need to show proof of some type that the gun is no longer functional. Thanks.

Typically, ATF wants the frame torch cut into three non-functioning sections for the gun to be considered destroyed. This would undoubtedly also satisfy MA. There is no requirement to report the destruction of a firearm to anybody if you are not an FFL. Though some sort of physical evidence of the destruction for your own records might allow you sleep better at night.

Post it in the Classifieds. Yes, it's a crappy little gun, but it's not on the Mass. approved list, and you might make someone happy to have it when you sell it for short money.

Just my .02

I would shoot it with a .308 or larger rifle, to see what happens. [laugh]

-Mike

pavingguns.jpg

Makes me cry every time I see it.

Back
Top Bottom