How does one become a firearms instructor?

Doobie, check with any of the 3 NH pro-gun orgs. One of them should be offering these courses just like GOAL does for MA.

If they don't, you should suggest to them that they implement such a program.

One doesn't have to be an NRA member in order to become an NRA certified instructor. Training counselors can require membership for those who take their instructor course, but this isn't common and I don't see any mention of it on GOAL's web site. The instructor training isn't really specific to any state, but since most people who become NRA instructors around here want to get the Massachusetts state certification as well, we cover the necessary aspects of Massachusetts law that instructors will need to cover in their Massachusetts courses.

One doesn't need to be an expert shooters in order to become an instructor, but must be a competent shooter, good at working with people, and a fanatic about safety. John and Darius do a great job training at GOAL. I'm going to be offering another Home Firearm Safety/Basic Pistol instructor training course at the Westford Sportsmen's Club this spring, tentatively the last two weekends in March. Training for these certifications, regardless of who's running the course, requires a little over 20 hours. IIRC, John and Darius like to do it Friday afternoon through Sunday. while I prefer one Saturday and the following Saturday/Sunday.

The first day focuses on teaching methods and skills, as well as NRA policies and procedures. The rest of the time is devoted to the specific lesson plans that you'll be using to teach the NRA courses. In addition to discussing the specifics of the lessons, you'll also engage in exercises in presenting parts of the lessons and conducting various hands-on training exercises.

Most people start with the Home Firearm Safety and Basic Pistol courses, because those are the ones for which there is the most demand around here, due to licensing requirements. You can also become certified in Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, two different Personal Protection courses (in the home, and outside the home) and other areas. The two protection courses require certification in Basic Pistol as a prerequisite, and Outside the home also requires Inside the home.

If you've got any more questions about becoming a certified instructor in any discipline, feel free to PM me. I'll be posting the exact dates and times of my spring courses here as soon as they're finalized.

Ken

I just got the form to renew my MA Instructor certification. It is a one page for and they want a copy of my NRA certification. They had $50 crossed out and $10 written in for the cost.

I had called Mass State Police last month and spoke to the woman who handles it.
She is at the main MSP number in Framingham:
508 820 2300

Last edited:
Went from $50 to $10? Maybe I should renew early? Hope it's still for 10 years. Jack.

Jack, I just checked the paperwork and it is $10 for 10 years, with $50 crossed out and $10 written over it in black pen. They just require you send your certificate from a training institute, in my case it is the NRA. It is weird that they don't accept their own certification.

I just filled out the form, this time they also ask for your MA license information. It was ten years ago, but I do not think they asked last time. I'll update the post when I get my new certificate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom