I'm not really sure, as I did all my instructor stuff through my job (leo)... so I don't know how the process would be through the NRA. What I can say without a doubt, is whatever you do, learn to REALLY teach. Be a student of fundamentals, nevermind all the tacticool BS out there. Study and recognize shot patterns, and their causes. I've always believed that a mark of a great teacher is not someone who turns out amazing shooters, but one who has the patience and skill set to bring up a complete and utter novice to be a competent shooter. Sorry for mini rant... just one of my pet peeves from seeing sub-par 'instructors'

ETA: and don't be afraid to fail, or say 'I don't know'. It's better than putting out BS

Now I don't yet have the experience to be instructing others, but I was wondering about the process for this. Do I need to have a certain level of accuracy? What are the prerequisites to taking the instructor course?

You need a checkbook and a free Saturday.

First, you need to define what you mean.

At the most basic level, you need to know more about the subject than the person(s) you teach.
My dad was a great instructor, though I had no formal "classes" with him.

I was an instructor to my kids, from the point that I could make myself understood to them.

Now, if you mean "NRA Certified [insert discipline here] Instructor, you will need:
1) find a Training Counselor in the discipline
2)Successfully complete Basic Instructor Training
3)Successfully complete the training for the discipline (Basic Pistol/Home Firearm Safety is about 26 hours)
Part of the above includes displaying proficiency with the guns involved.

There is no "Shoot a 90 point target" cutoff for these, as that's not what you're teaching.

If you're interested, there are many TCs here (ScouterRick, Jon Green at GOAL, for instance) that can set you up.

More important than lots of knowledge, or experience, is attitude. My son wanted his BP/HFS Instructor Certs. for his 13th birthday; he just added Shotgun. Not to brag about my kid, but he's a good instructor, and he's still just 14. You have to want to do it.

I'm going to have to look into this as well. I still need more experience, but I love to present to groups and teach. I don't get to do as much in my current job as I would like, so why not get involved in something like this??

Awesome. We need to get people training and licensing people as much as possible. More instructors - faster turnaround and maybe lower prices (or even donated courses for directed licensing/organizing efforts).

Best bet if you want to get into it, is to see if your club has a "training team" that can use help.

At Southborough Rod & Gun Club , we have a team that consists of NRA Instructors, and "line coaches" that help with the practical exercises. The Instructors handle the actual coursework, presentations, etc. This way, you get an idea of what it's like at the front of the room.

I personally think that just trying to do a basic pistol class solo would be hellish, especially for a new instructor, with the amount of classroom, range and paperwork required.

Go to NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training
Candidate will shoot any gun of their choice, regardless of action, sights or caliber, at a

blank 9 inch diameter paper target at a distance of 15 yards. Candidates will fire 20 shots

from a two-handed, unsupported, standing position. Targets will be broken into two ten

shot targets or four five-shot targets. Three points will be given for each scoring hit.
In order for a hit to count, it must fall inside a ½” border from the edge of the plate. Shots

that break the edge of the ½” border will count as hits. All scoring hits on a target must

be within a 6” or less extreme spread (see below). Candidates will be allowed to shoot

their own firearms if desired.Two re-qualification shoots are allowed within any 24-hour

period.

Back
Top Bottom