• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How Does Gun Ownership Work In This Situation?

It is more remote than the video implies. But taxes and the 9/11 attacks changed a lot. Great article on the area.
“Here’s how I drive when I have my shotgun in the car,” Bubier says. He pulls the car to the right, steering the passenger-side wheels onto the shoulder so we don’t drift into Canada, an arm’s reach from his driver’s-side window.

There are several places in the US where the only route by land requires you to go through Canada to get back to US soil, such as the Northwest Angle and Point Roberts.

I've been to Estcourt Station twice. It's about an hour via snowmobile from the nearest US town (can't remember if we gassed up in the 'Gash or St Francis). The Border Agent told us we could gas up down at the pumps, but "as soon as you're done fueling up, get back over to our side".
The US Border Agent has to drive up in there over logging roads that take about 3hrs each way, depending on where they're logging and what gets plowed.

I've been to Estcourt Station twice. It's about an hour via snowmobile from the nearest US town (can't remember if we gassed up in the 'Gash or St Francis). The Border Agent told us we could gas up down at the pumps, but "as soon as you're done fueling up, get back over to our side".
The US Border Agent has to drive up in there over logging roads that take about 3hrs each way, depending on where they're logging and what gets plowed.
My buddy who lived in Fort Kent knew of a bar with a wall thru the middle. One half in Canada and the other in Maine. This was long before 9-11.

I don’t know but we need a wall to keep the Canadians out…standing orders should be “shoot on sight” If attempting to cross into the U.S.
Too bad it isn’t Canadians who are sneaking across the Northern border.

There’s a Canadian island that their mail has to go through Maine. They’re pissed because their mail order weed (legal in Canada) keeps getting confiscated because it goes through USPS, lol.

It is more remote than the video implies. But taxes and the 9/11 attacks changed a lot. Great article on the area.
“Here’s how I drive when I have my shotgun in the car,” Bubier says. He pulls the car to the right, steering the passenger-side wheels onto the shoulder so we don’t drift into Canada, an arm’s reach from his driver’s-side window.
Not sure how that works unless Canada decided to let Americans use half the road. The road is in Canada (See my screenshot below).

There is also a border crossing to get back in the U.S, I wonder if those people can cross with guns.

Screenshot_20221226_093606_Maps.jpg

Sounds like living there s*cks.

Last edited:
autumn-vegetable-poutine.jpg.jpeg

There are several places in the US where the only route by land requires you to go through Canada to get back to US soil, such as the Northwest Angle and Point Roberts.
There's a town in NH (Chatham) that can only be accessed through Maine.

Good thing for them that ME isn't like MA, or it would be almost as bad as Canada.

Pene-enclaves are a fascinating bit of history when it comes to the arbitrariness of political boundaries, and the silly restrictions on crossing them.

My buddy who lived in Fort Kent knew of a bar with a wall thru the middle. One half in Canada and the other in Maine. This was long before 9-11.

There's a library in Derby Line Vermont that straddles the Canadian border, they had to put bars on the back windows because people were jumping out trying to get into Canada.

There's a town in NH (Chatham) that can only be accessed through Maine.

Good thing for them that ME isn't like MA, or it would be almost as bad as Canada.

Pene-enclaves are a fascinating bit of history when it comes to the arbitrariness of political boundaries, and the silly restrictions on crossing them.

There's a section of Northwest Georgia that only accessible by driving through Alabama, and there's a piece of Western Kentucky which is essentially an "island" in a bend of the Mississippi river, completely surrounded by Missouri and Tennessee, which doesn't physically border any part of Kentucky at all.

I have a friend who has a seasonal cabin in Pittsburg NH. It's off of Hall Stream Road, which is only accessible by going through Beecher Falls VT.
I love the history of Pittsburg, which for four years, was the independent Repulic of Indian Stream.
I also have a friend who had property on Hall Stream Road (he later sold it).

Canada was literally across the road, less than 100 yards from his property line.

Hall Stream is "Rio Grande del Norte", except no fences or barriers.

I also have a friend who had property on Hall Stream Road (he later sold it).

Canada was literally across the road, less than 100 yards from his property line.

Hall Stream is "Rio Grande del Norte", except no fences or barriers.
Yeah that's what I thought. I was sitting on my friend's back porch pointing down at the stream. I asked him what's to stop someone from wading across that little stream. He told me that one week earlier the Border Patrol was racing up and down the street. Apparently they have sensors in the river and a Moose had crossed the stream.

Yeah that's what I thought. I was sitting on my friend's back porch pointing down at the stream. I asked him what's to stop someone from wading across that little stream. He told me that one week earlier the Border Patrol was racing up and down the street. Apparently they have sensors in the river and a Moose had crossed the stream.
My buddy was making his second trip of the day hauling building materials up to his cabin spot, when BP stopped him. Their only stated reason: "You've been driving back and forth next to the border."

Well, duh. That's where the road is.

They accused him of being a drug smuggler, of being illegal (he's whiter than I am), of transporting people (he was alone the entire time), and ignored that he was a recently-retired Coastie. He was held for 1 hour 45 minutes that time (which wasn't the only encounter) until Fish & Game showed up, annoyed that they'd been called out to this, and basically told BP to GTFO and leave him alone.

Mind you, on a "roving patrol" like this, BP's only authority to stop a vehicle and investigate, is if they have RAS that illegal immigrants are inside. (This is not the same as interior or temporary checkpoints.)

BP harassment was one of the reasons he decided to sell that place.

There’s a Canadian island that their mail has to go through Maine. They’re pissed because their mail order weed (legal in Canada) keeps getting confiscated because it goes through USPS, lol.

Campobello Island? Only way on is either a ferry or the bridge from Lubec across Lubec Narrows. I was about 50' from there a few years back when I did the Four Corners of Maine tour - one "corner" is the Lubec Post Office, which is right next to the US CBP. I have friends who live there - the CBP pretty much gave a wink and a nod during Covid because that was the only way on or off the island.

It’s too easy to bring whatever you want from the US to Canada and vice versa by boat in the Thousand Islands. Too easy.

Back
Top Bottom