How do you unregister a gun in Massachusetts?

OK, I have done a search and cannot find a relevant thread so forgive me if this is a dupe.

Recently I purchased a shotgun from out of state and registered it using the e-FA10. The shotgun proved to be faulty and the dealer took it back and gave me a refund. I have since purchased an alternative item and registered that accordingly.

So what happens with the original registration? The e-FA10 doesn't cater for unregistering the gun and besides it was out of state where I returned it and got a refund.

correct me if im wrong, but shouldnt the dealer have filed an FA10 when they took it back from you?

I believe the dealer should have given you some type of receipt when you returned the shotgun. I'm not 100% positive but someone that knows for sure will chime in soon.

You can't un-register a gun, because MA records only *transactions* (transfers). That gun is on you forever. I'm not kidding.

If the dealer that took the gun back is out of state, there's no FA10 requirement, that nonsense only applies to MA residents, not extra-state dealers.

So, as long as you've recorded the transfer of the second gun, you're good.

Keep any correspondence showing you returned the gun to the manufacture.

There is no way to 'unregister' the transaction recording the original transfer.

If it went back out of state just ask him for a letter stating that the firearms went into his FFL book and your all set. Either way its not a issue there is no state agent that would come to your house over the issue. With the gun out of state if it was used in a crime it would be tracked as sold out of the FFL shop and you wouldn't be the buyer so no issue.

If you had a FA 10 sent in it was scanned then orig. Paper work destroyed. Staple your returned reciept to your copy of the FA 10 you should be good. The out of state dealer had to put the gun back on his "book" so your no longer technically the last registered owner.

To go slightly away from the OP's question, I've wondered (fantasized?) about this in the context of moving out of state. Mass .gov, and any law enforcement organization with whom they share info, will believe your guns to be in Mass, or at least owned by you. In other words, even in a free state, the guns will still have a record that points to you.

No way to unregister in MA. and dealers in state or out of state do not do FA10's the only requirement is that the dealer must enter the firearm into their bound book. No other record or paperwork is required for a dealer taking in a gun unless it is in for repair then the firearm gets entered into the repair bound book.

Gastrok this happens all the time. To keep the record straight you could do a FA10 reg. on the new serial number. The old serial number has been disposed of by the manufacture and no longer exists. No firearm will ever come into existence with the old serial number from that manufacturer.

To go slightly away from the OP's question, I've wondered (fantasized?) about this in the context of moving out of state. Mass .gov, and any law enforcement organization with whom they share info, will believe your guns to be in Mass, or at least owned by you. In other words, even in a free state, the guns will still have a record that points to you.

I just moved to NH. They are welcome to believe I still own the guns if they want. But, I sold all my guns with private transactions in NH immediately after I got my NH driver's license. Oh and if anyone sees me at the green shoot, those guns aren't mine.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

You can't un-register a gun, because MA records only *transactions* (transfers). That gun is on you forever. I'm not kidding.

Guida is now spewing some nonsense that they can be unregistered, but I don't believe this for a second.

What I do in the OPs case is get a receipt from the FFL for the intake of the gun and that is the end of it. That is my "proof" that it got disposed through an FFL.

-Mike

According to some "experts" you need to do an FA-10 even if you're transferring to a dealer.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/162426-Reporting-Transfer-to-a-Dealer-on-EFA-10

(I think this is complete bullshit, but then again I'm not a retired Chief of Police.)

Guida is now spewing some nonsense that they can be unregistered, but I don't believe this for a second.

What I do in the OPs case is get a receipt from the FFL for the intake of the gun and that is the end of it. That is my "proof" that it got disposed through an FFL.

-Mike

Well I'll give them this . . . it makes some sense to get them out of your name when they leave your possession.

In theory this means that when the PD shows up at your door with a print-out of what they expect to confiscate and then use a hot branding iron on you because you can't produce a particular gun they have on the list . . . you might appreciate the fact that the state is trying to avoid this by putting a process out there to unregister the guns you no longer own.

However, for this to really work, the PD has to request a "certified list" from CJIS, not merely print out an online query form. As I expressed to Jason when we talked about this (first time I had ever heard of it too), I suspect most PDs will NOT request (and wait for) said "certified list"! DAs may (and should) request them for prosecutions but this is long after the poor guy is raked over the coals, accused of lying and they have ripped out all the walls in his house looking for those guns! [shocked]

To me it's like some gun inflation scheme. Same gun can go through multiple owners in the state and since they're never removed from previous owners, all someone has to do is ask "How many guns are registered in this state total?" and the number will come out higher than reality. Feeds right into the Bradys, Meninos, Bloombergs, etc.

keep your receipt of return with the fa-10 but asking the dealer might get you an answer. I only see a problem if they refurbish then re-sell with the same serial number if they destroy it there shouldn't be anything to worry about

When I traded in my replacement LC9 at Four Seasons on Friday, Carl told me I should call the MA FRB to find out how to un-register the LC9 I returned to Ruger, which they said they destroyed. He gave me two numbers to try, which I did today.

Nice man at the FRB told me the on-line FA-10 would not suffice and to get a paper FA-10 from my PD, and if they didn't have any call back and he'd send them some. He also gave me clear directions on how to fill out the form, since it was not designed to accommodate this situation (e.g., manufacturers don't have first, middle and last names or birthdays...), and add a note that it went back to the manufacturer to be repaired but was replaced. He said to also keep any paper work showing that one serial number was replaced by another (which I have). When I expressed some concern that all this would take more than 7 days he said not to worry, just put the date that the transaction occurred, and that nobody would be coming after me. Comforting! LOL

I would also conclude that "the whole system is just one big crock of shit". That being said, I'm going to try to do what the nice FRB guy told me to do.

When I traded in my replacement LC9 at Four Seasons on Friday, Carl told me I should call the MA FRB to find out how to un-register the LC9 I returned to Ruger, which they said they destroyed. He gave me two numbers to try, which I did today.

Nice man at the FRB told me the on-line FA-10 would not suffice and to get a paper FA-10 from my PD, and if they didn't have any call back and he'd send them some. He also gave me clear directions on how to fill out the form, since it was not designed to accommodate this situation (e.g., manufacturers don't have first, middle and last names or birthdays...), and add a note that it went back to the manufacturer to be repaired but was replaced. He said to also keep any paper work showing that one serial number was replaced by another (which I have). When I expressed some concern that all this would take more than 7 days he said not to worry, just put the date that the transaction occurred, and that nobody would be coming after me. Comforting! LOL

I would also conclude that "the whole system is just one big crock of shit". That being said, I'm going to try to do what the nice FRB guy told me to do.

I'm just curious, why bother?

Back
Top Bottom