how do you turn an M&P PC 9L into a race gun in mass and stay legal?

I've been toying with the idea of turning my PC 9L into a race gun.
I started looking at flared magwells today and they all work with extended baseplates that add rounds?
How do we get around thin in this commie state?
looking to get something similar to picture this going.
Tim at Gartman arms has mine right now and is installing all the apex trigger stuff, but an apex threaded barrel and compensator is $$$$$ so I don't want to go out and buy it if this rig won't work in Mass
man this commie state really is a PITA
will go with an optics mount like in the 2nd pic if all works out
9L race.jpeg optics mount.jpg

What do you mean, "extended baseplate that adds rounds"?

The MA legal 10 round M&P mags' baseplate is freakin' huge already, since the 10 round magazine *body* is short. What are they replacing it with?

the extended magwells are designed to work with the springer extended base plates which add 4 rounds
this is the kit I'm looking at
Limited Kit for M&P9/40 1.0 [2700] - $150.00 : Welcome to Speed Shooter Specialties

Yeah, can't do that with M&P mags here. M&P racegun is kind of an oxymoron. What are you looking to do with it? Steel? Pins? USPSA has a new division A New Look For USPSA Carry Optics Division Where your gun with an slide mounted dot would work well.

Good luck.

Yeah, can't do that with M&P mags here. M&P racegun is kind of an oxymoron. What are you looking to do with it? Steel? Pins? USPSA has a new division A New Look For USPSA Carry Optics Division Where your gun with an slide mounted dot would work well.

Good luck.
yup all of the above basically anything my gun is legal to use in. I've done some steel and bowling pins with my CZ Shadow 2 and
since I already have this thing , I might as well use it, I like using an optic once in awhile.

Go look at your magazines. It should be obvious that the above kit won't do crap for you.
I don't get what you mean here? my mags are 10 round, what am I missing that's so "obvious"

I don't get what you mean here? my mags are 10 round, what am I missing that's so "obvious"

Did they change the design?

My 10 round magazines have a short double stack body, and a baseplate that's like an inch long. Like this:

iipsrv.fcgi

Is the new baseplate even longer?

I'll have to look at mine I think that's what I've got too.
doesn't look like those extension swill work on these :(

I'll have to look at mine I think that's what I've got too.
doesn't look like those extension swill work on these :(
Correct, the base pads are made for normal (Non-MA) magazines. you MAY be able to hog out the well or grind down the stock pads so they fit but I suspect that the pad will be less than flush with the well. (not great)

If it were my gun, I'd just mount the dot and practice reloading. You'd be amazed what a difference practice can make.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgdq1FBYTUE

Shhhhhh, don't tell the Loonies like Linsky that magazine capacity makes almost no difference to someone who trains.

Have fun.

I can't find my pictures since I closed down my photobucket account. I use a speed shooters specialties brass magwell with my USPSA Limited 10 gun. I bought extra 9mm 10-round basepads (giant blocky chunk in picture below). I put them on my 40 mags, sawed off the duck bill from the bottom and hot-glued the blocky chunk from my 40 mags to that. I've got a set of 8 mags that I've used for multiple seasons, including dropping on concrete floors, and they've held up.

I would skip Carry Optics if you don't want to be a felon in MA with an M&P. They changed the rules to allow 140mm length mags.

An M&P with a dot would still be fun for steel challenge or Walls of Steel.

I can't find my pictures since I closed down my photobucket account. I use a speed shooters specialties brass magwell with my USPSA Limited 10 gun. I bought extra 9mm 10-round basepads (giant blocky chunk in picture below). I put them on my 40 mags, sawed off the duck bill from the bottom and hot-glued the blocky chunk from my 40 mags to that. I've got a set of 8 mags that I've used for multiple seasons, including dropping on concrete floors, and they've held up.

I would skip Carry Optics if you don't want to be a felon in MA with an M&P. They changed the rules to allow 140mm length mags.

1095092_10200254257227364_957350427_n.jpg

1167090_10200254257627374_128857077_o.jpg

Its the 140mm mags that is the problem

Oh! "carry optics" is a class, which allows for huge-ass (mass felony) high-cap magazines. Without pre-ban magazines, you can't be competitive in that class.

Do I understand that right?

Huh? What law do you imagine adding optics would break?

I think he's implying that nobody who runs the gun in that division is going to run shitcripple mags... lol. It'd be like shooting open with an M&P... you either break the lawr, you're exempt, or cripple yourself (which is pointless to run open at that point).

-Mike

Oh! "carry optics" is a class, which allows for huge-ass (mass felony) high-cap magazines. Without pre-ban magazines, you can't be competitive in that class.

No, Carry Optics is a Division. Divisions determine what equipment you can use. "Class" is determined by how well you perform with that equipment. Rules - United States Practical Shooting Association

Damn you Charlie, you're still screwing us up even from the great beyond....................

Thanks for that Mike. CO and PPC are the two new divisions and I have no personal experience in either though I hope to remedy that this season. I'll have to use borrowed equipment because I don't have a slide mounted optic pistol and my "pistol caliber carbine" is not legal for use either.
m4BmDPd
m4BmDPd.jpg
m4BmDPd.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to run a flared magwell, and use your 10 round mags, these basepads do not add capacity, only length.
M&P 9mm Extended Mag Base for 10rnd. Magazines
Those were not available back when I put this blaster together.

Tim from Gartman is familiar with this thing, he was working at 1776 in Walpole when he made some mag extensions out of delrin (mag on the right). I later made some spacers out of aluminum (on the left) similar to the ones shown in eisenhow's post above. He and I have shown our bastard child mags in several threads over the years here on NES

A limit of 10 rounds is common in steel plate matches, and this or your gun will be great for those.

No, Carry Optics is a Division. Divisions determine what equipment you can use. "Class" is determined by how well you perform with that equipment.

Close enough. :) That's what I meant, I just used the wrong words. In autocross "class" determines what equipment you can use.

You could still win with 10 round mags, you'd just have to practice more.

going to have to practice some more .....and get a couple of more mags LOL!
those 10 round extensions look like they would work but I need to figure which magwell to use with them
thanks for all the input guys, I'll have to wait to see how this thing shoots with all of the apex stuff in it.
I'm planning on using it for steel and action shoots USPSA, I don't think I'm going to bother with IDPA yet

Get an FFL and the state dealer licenses and off you go with all the post-ban high-cap mags you can handle... and more.

Well I picked mine up today from Gartman Arms and I must say this APEX forward set Trigger sear kit is awesome.
Like night and day, about 3 pounds , almost no take up , nice crisp break, and a tactile reset.
I shot 2" groups today using the irons sights out to 35-40 feet with no problem. I could not do that with
the stock trigger.
I'm starting to think S&W is in bed with apex and they get a piece of each one of these kits that are sold.
This gun is touted as a performance Center , ready for competition gun. For Real? the trigger on this thing was marginal at best, no
audible reset and a 6 pound break, still gritty even with 11500 rounds through it.
H&K , Walther and even CANIK, put out better stock striker fire triggers than S&W does.
S&W is not a start up,a striker fire trigger is not rocket science, something stinks here. Apex knows how to do this right and S&W doesn't?
I'm not buying it. something stinks here.
I put the red dot back on and I'm ready to rock it out some more tomorrow weather permitting :)
Looks like I'll keep this around now :)
Apex%20forward%20sear%20trigger_zpsr2y5zxpk.jpg

"Competition ready" and this armpit of a state don't really go hand-in-hand. I'm thinking mass compliant nixes a lot of the innards that might let it run lighter elsewhere..
"Performance center" is another really misleading term, or at least thats been my experience with wheel guns.
I looked into one of the p.c. 929's to try out the "9mm hotness" and really wasn't all that impressed with how gritty it was out of the box and the double-action was still way too high for me, like 15lbs. . I couldn't justify the extra few hundred bucks for a p.c. model over the non-pc model. Even my 627 after 2000 rounds was still rough.

Those apex action kits are a god send.

So what division did you settle on, open or carry optics?

Well I picked mine up today from Gartman Arms and I must say this APEX forward set Trigger sear kit is awesome.
Like night and day, about 3 pounds , almost no take up , nice crisp break, and a tactile reset.
I shot 2" groups today using the irons sights out to 35-40 feet with no problem. I could not do that with
the stock trigger.
I'm starting to think S&W is in bed with apex and they get a piece of each one of these kits that are sold.
This gun is touted as a performance Center , ready for competition gun. For Real? the trigger on this thing was marginal at best, no
audible reset and a 6 pound break, still gritty even with 11500 rounds through it.
H&K , Walther and even CANIK, put out better stock striker fire triggers than S&W does.
S&W is not a start up,a striker fire trigger is not rocket science, something stinks here. Apex knows how to do this right and S&W doesn't?
I put the red dot back on and I'm ready to rock it out some more tomorrow weather permitting :)
Looks like I'll keep this around now :)
Apex%20forward%20sear%20trigger_zpsr2y5zxpk.jpg

Sweet

haven't decided yet, I am enrolled in the 2 day USPSA "session at Hopkinton in April to learn a bit more about what my options are and
to shoot a my butt off.
I've been using my CZ Shadow 2 as my main gun and shoot it pretty well so I will be mostly shooting Production, but I do want to use this for something.
MY CZ is too heavy for IDPA :(
My real interests right now are just shooting steel, but I'll see what I learn in Aprril.
It doesn't look like I'm going to make it into a race gun....this might be it for mods to it, so whatever this puts me into then that's where I'm shooting.
I believe the ported barrel puts me into a specific class too?
As far as a mass compliant trigger...this one did not have one , it came straight from the PC shop, and the trigger was still "marginal" at best.

"Competition ready" and this armpit of a state don't really go hand-in-hand. I'm thinking mass compliant nixes a lot of the innards that might let it run lighter elsewhere..
"Performance center" is another really misleading term, or at least thats been my experience with wheel guns.
I looked into one of the p.c. 929's to try out the "9mm hotness" and really wasn't all that impressed with how gritty it was out of the box and the double-action was still way too high for me, like 15lbs. . I couldn't justify the extra few hundred bucks for a p.c. model over the non-pc model. Even my 627 after 2000 rounds was still rough.

Those apex action kits are a god send.

So what division did you settle on, open or carry optics?

MA law has no effect whatsoever on the ideal gun for production, single stack, revolver, or limited 10 divisions. It only affects magazine capacity for Open, carry optics and PCC, but pre-ban mags are plentiful and cheap.

haven't decided yet, I am enrolled in the 2 day USPSA "session at Hopkinton in April to learn a bit more about what my options are and
to shoot a my butt off.

It doesn't look like I'm going to make it into a race gun....this might be it for mods to it, so whatever this puts me into then that's where I'm shooting.
I believe the ported barrel puts me into a specific Division class too?

Excellent! I look forward to having you in the class. We had a HUGE response this year and I wish we could do them more frequently however it takes a great amount of resources to do it right.
A dot sight or any type of port/comp automatically puts the gun into Open Division.

Come to the plate match tonight if you can make it. Indoor Steel Plate match @ Hopkinton Wed 3/21/2018 6 PM

Not quite. "Carry optics" is a division.

Division related to gun type. Class relates to historical skill level of the competitor.

the stock trigger.

Lol dude its an S&W product, and correct me if I'm wrong, not much more expensive than a G34 or or in the same ballpark.... what did you expect? These guns originally often came with f***ed up sight dovetails and there were people around here that S&W said this was "normal" etc....

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom