How do you store your mags?

Magnets. Mine aren't as powerful as the kitchen magnets but those look like a good alternative too. Upside is they work for Glock FML mags, downside is they don't for my AICS mags.

I don't have a big enough safe, so the mags are like tribbles from star trek.

I've often been of the opinion that if you can fit all the magazines in your safe, you don't have nearly enough magazines, or possibly, that your safe is some cool walk in vault thing.

-Mike

AR and AK mags are loaded and piled in separate cardboard boxes in one of the ammo cabinets. Pistol mags I put in 4*6 photo boxes from Michaels or some other craft store. They each hold 10 standard 1911 mags, 5 glock 17/19 mags. Nice and easy to grab a few boxes of mags and throw them in the range bag.

A bunch are in ammo cans, some piled on my workbench, some in chest rigs/plate carriers/battle belts, some in range bags, some in other bags, some in the center console of my car, some in the gun safes, some piled on the bookshelf near my bed, and all of the new-in-wrapper ones are on a shelf in my closet. I think that's it.

I hung a bag on the inside door of the safe and just threw'em in.

I have a somewhat similar set up.

I just hung one of those closet door organizers you can get at Target on the inside of the safe door. Cool thing is they have pockets, so you can separate out the different types of mags if you desire.

Attachments

• IMG00619-20110729-0904.jpg
    IMG00619-20110729-0904.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 57
A bunch are in ammo cans, some piled on my workbench, some in chest rigs/plate carriers/battle belts, some in range bags, some in other bags, some in the center console of my car, some in the gun safes, some piled on the bookshelf near my bed, and all of the new-in-wrapper ones are on a shelf in my closet. I think that's it.
I need more mags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1. I keep all my mags loaded
2. I have cardboard boxes that are cut down to store AR standard capacity mags 12 to a box on end, and the boxes stack on top of each other, the same for the 20 rounders and 10 rounders. Same process for the AK mags
3. Handgun mags are in partitioned boxes I found at a office supply store, can be covered. It's kind of like a paper storage box but stronger and heavy cardboard inserts that intersect with each other. Those are stack-able also.

Everything fits into either a stack on safe or heavy duty lockable 3 drawer, wide file cabinets.

This is at least the third or fourth way I've tried to keep them all handy and organized.

I have them all loaded and strategically placed all over the house.

The some I keep in the oven in a heat resistant fire box. Got to loves the interwebs for this vital location!

Others I keep in the freezer with my emergency battery supply. Another interwebs secret.
Which is great until the yearly manually defrost of my vintage fridge that uses more power than some Western MA towns!

Twenty round AR15 mags in each of the toaster slots. Which makes my early morning rise and shine ritual at little exciting at times. But is great for practicing rapid tactical reloads!

Ever since I got one of those MPthree players. I converted my CD tower to hold AK mags. Think environmentally friendly banana clip tree!

Got to be ready for TEOTWAWKI![smile]

Last edited by a moderator:
Made a storage rack from foam. Cut a 2" thick block of sealed-cell into strips roughly 1' long, and 3" wide. Cut 6 slots in each, slightly over the size of the intended magazine. Bolted and glued a 1/4" layer of sealed cell to the bottom, and drilled out the ends so they could be connected with a long threaded rod and nuts. All said, it makes a shelf-ready soft rack which is comprised of (at this point) 15 sections @ 6 magazines each. Easily expanded to include more, if needed.

I keep 6 mags per pistol/rifle minimum, and keep 3 loaded at all times. I do a grand cleaning/lubing every six months at which point I switch the carry ammo from the full mags to the empty ones, and position the empty ones at the back of the storage rack. When I hit the range, I bring whichever 3 mags are empty. Only exceptions are the 229, 92, AK and STANAG mags - I have 20+ mags each which stay in knockoff pelican cases, 1/2 loaded 1/2 empty. They see hard use anyway so I don't really care if they get the crap kicked out of them rattling around in there.

cf8421.jpg

It doesn't matter where you store them. Just keep them full and ready...

I have a small bag for each of the guns I use on a regular basis. Either a combo gun/magazine pouch or just a small cloth tool bag where I keep the magazines, holster/s, magazine pouches for that particular gun. works well for me.

For my carry guns and other one-offs, I use the elastic loops on the inside of my safe's door. For other guns with a lot of accessories, I use plastic shoe boxes from Hold Everything. One box for each gun holds my mags, holster and mag pouch or other accessories - one each for Single Stack, P226, rifle, shotgun, and revolver. If I'm packing gun 'A' for the range, I got to box 'A' and get what I need.

Back
Top Bottom